The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum
Setting up Tor with Privoxy and Proxomitron - Printable Version

+- The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum (https://www.prxbx.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Forum Related (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Proxomitron Program (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Setting up Tor with Privoxy and Proxomitron (/showthread.php?tid=577)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Setting up Tor with Privoxy and Proxomitron - Kye-U - Aug. 19, 2005 12:04 AM

Note: This guide is outdated, read this post for a new quick and easy method!

Guide to Setting up Tor with Privoxy and Proxomitron
-A collaboration of this topic started by JakBeNymble.

After following the steps in this post, you will be able to hide your IP address at the click of a button (By turning on Proxomitron's Remote Proxy Feature).

You'll need Tor, Privoxy, and Proxomitron.

If you would like to set up Tor as a hidden service, please read the bottom of this post.

If you'd like to use only Tor and Privoxy, skip Step #1.

1) Setting up Proxomitron

Set the "Remote Proxy" as:

127.0.0.1:8118

And add a tick to the 'Use a Remote Proxy' box.

This should be it Eyes Closed Smile

2) Setting up Privoxy

1. Download the following file.

2. Open it with WinRAR/WinZIP (or an uncompressor of your choice that supports ZIP Archives), and, making sure Privoxy is not running, extract all files to "C:\Program Files\Privoxy".

3. Click on "Yes to all" when it asks you if you would like to overwrite existing files.

3) Using the three altogether

For the browser of your choice, set the HTTP (or HTTPS as well) Proxy Server as:

Server: 127.0.0.1
Port: 8080

As you noticed, this is the default setting for Proxomitron. (If you have set Proxomitron to use a different port, then change as needed).

Start up Tor, Privoxy and Proxomitron, and go to a webpage, Torified Eyes Closed Smile

This setup makes it so that requests from your computer go through Proxomitron, then Privoxy, then Tor.

For those who just want to use Privoxy and Tor, set the HTTP (or HTTPS as well) Proxy Server as:

Server: 127.0.0.1
Port: 8118

Making Tor a Hidden Service [For Windows 2000/XP]

I have written a small tool in NSIS in order to make Tor a hidden service.

Download this file.

Note, you'll have to restart your computer after to have it working, and you MUST have installed Tor in its default location, C:\Program Files\Tor

'Torifying' Select Sites

For those of you who have some sites you would like to be anonymous on, this filter I wrote will be handy.

It consists of one header filter, and a Lists file. Sites included in the List file will be routed through Tor (and Privoxy). This makes it so that you do not have to turn on Proxomitron's "Remote Proxy" feature!

Simply download it, extract the Lists folder and "Torify.mergeme" to the same folder "Proxomitron.exe" is located and merge "Torify.mergeme" with your config file.

Download it here (64 kB): http://prxbx.com/forums/download.php?id=2

Post-Installation Notes

1. While having your connections routed through the Tor network, you WILL notice some decrease in your download speeds of pages, files, etc.

2. Add Privoxy (and Proxomitron) to your Start Up folder in your Start Menu --> Programs list to make it less of a hassle for you (instead of opening them manually every time).

- Kye-U - Aug. 19, 2005 12:09 AM

If you would like the source code of the Tor Service Install tool I have written, here it is Cheers

(View it in Notepad or a text-editor of your choice)

- Shea - Aug. 19, 2005 01:02 AM

Can't you make tor a service from the command line?

tor.exe -install

or to remove it

tor.exe -remove
You have to uninstall it as a service before installing an upgraded version.

- Kye-U - Aug. 19, 2005 01:04 AM

Shea Wrote:You have to uninstall it as a service before installing an upgraded version.

If you do, then I think it'll be less of a hassle with my tool Eyes Closed Smile

- Magician - Oct. 10, 2005 12:47 AM

Great write up.
I particularily like the fact you have arranged it with so little interaction needed to get them all set up correctly :-)

You included a filter and list that allowed the user to specify sites that they wish to be Torified, the default being that sites will not be Torified unless they are in the list. would be be possible to include the opposite as well? A filter and list where the default is that everything is Torified unless it is in the list (and possibly unless it is a https page), then it is bypassed..

Other then that it is MUCH easier then wading through that thread in the Security sub-forums Cool

- Kye-U - Oct. 10, 2005 02:03 AM

Thanks Magician Eyes Closed Smile Yes, it is possible to do the opposite. Use this filter instead of the other one:

Code:
[HTTP headers]
In = FALSE
Out = TRUE
Key = "URL: Use Tor (Out)"
URL = "(^$LST(Torify))"
Replace = "$USEPROXY(127.0.0.1:8118)"

- Guest - Oct. 10, 2005 10:50 PM

tools for tor:

Tor Control Panel
TorCP is a Tor controller for Windows 95 and higher...

Aphoxy 1.3
Aphoxy is an HTTP-over-socks4a proxy. It is very important for browsers that would otherwise leak DNS information...

greetz

Setting up Tor with Privoxy and Proxomitron - laighleas - Oct. 17, 2005 06:36 PM

Firstly, I dumped using either Privoxy or SocksCap altogether to chain Proxomitron, and socksified Proxomitron with FreeCap, running on XP sp2. Now it runs Browser ->Proxomitron+Freecap->Tor. Proxomitron's proxy settings aren't set, because Tor's port is set in FreeCap. The results are excellent: stable and does what it says on the tin.

Secondly, the Tor team aren't entirely happy with Privoxy:

We recommend Privoxy as a good scrubbing web proxy, but it's unmaintained and still has bugs, especially on Windows. While we're at it, what sensitive information is not kept safe by Privoxy? Are there other scrubbing web proxies that are more secure?
http://tor.eff.org/volunteer.html

So I mentioned Proxomitron and the Proximodo project to them. The following is Nick Mattheson's reply, which may be of interest to someone:

Proxomitron looks like really nice software. If anybody wanted to do
Tor integration with it, all they would have to do is support SOCKS4a,
or SOCKS5 with hostname addresses. No further work would be needed.

Of course, I'm not sure whether this could be done without modifying
proxomitron, which I'm not sure that the license permits.

> http://castlecops.com/forum-cat14.html
> http://prxbx.com/forums/index.php

Can you point me to the actual discussions about Tor? I didn't have
time to filter through all of these forums.

I really like the idea of expansible filters, but there are two
reasons why I think that we'll still be looking for an alternative to
Privoxy besides Proxomitron.

1. If I'm reading it right, Proxomitron's license doesn't conform to
DFSG; we need a solution that Free/Open Source software
distributions can ship on their CDs.

2. Requiring WINE to work on Linux is not the same as being portable;
most Linux users don't have or haven't installed WINE. In addition
to single-platform solutions, we need a general portable one. And
if I'm reading the license correctly, it doesn't allow anybody to
modify Proxomitron to make it portable.

This is not to put down Proxomitron at all; again, it looks like good
software, better in many ways than Privoxy. But unless I'm wrong
about the license issues (and I might be wrong, I'm not a lawyer), our
search for a better alternative to Privoxy is not complete.

Proximodo, however, looks quite promising. According to SF, it's
GPL-licensed, and it seems to be kind of sane. We might want to look
into putting work into making it suitable to replace Privoxy.
Assuming we have the spare time. Guys? (In any case, I might as well
download the code and take a look.)

thanks for the info,
--
Nick Mathewson

There's a link on the Tor site for contacting him, otherwise I can pass the email address along.

Kevin

- Kye-U - Oct. 18, 2005 12:25 AM

Just installed Freecap to test it out with Proxomitron and Tor. I noticed that it only works with Socks 4, not Socks 5. When I set it to Socks 5, Proxomitron crashes.

Perhaps I'll start on another guide to using Tor with Freecap and Proxomitron Smile!

Thanks.

Setting up Tor with Privoxy and Proxomitron - laighleas - Nov. 03, 2005 01:32 PM

Kye-U Wrote:Just installed Freecap to test it out with Proxomitron and Tor. I noticed that it only works with Socks 4, not Socks 5. When I set it to Socks 5, Proxomitron crashes.

Not sure what's happening there then. :-( I've got Freecap socksifying Proxomitron, and on SOCKS 5, and it's dead stable. Works like a dream - you hardly notice Freecap is there - it's set to run Proxomitron the moment it runs.

For reference, my OS is XP sp2 with .NET. I've patched tcpip.sys to get round the limits Microsoft have imposed upon it in the name of 'security' (EventID 4226), but that shouldn't have any effect that I can see. Or does it?

Kye-U Wrote:Perhaps I'll start on another guide to using Tor with Freecap and Proxomitron Smile!

It's fairly simple. Just add a new application, and point it at 9050. In fact you can set that as your default proxy. The only wrinkle I'd add - with SOCKS 5 - is set it to resolve names remotely, thus forcing the Tor system to look up hostnames remotely, and thus avoid DNS leaks. You'll still get an occasional warning from the program that you're using SOCKS 5 and that you may have a DNS leak because Tor is receiving an IP. This, however, is spurious, and is apparently based on the following assumption: if Tor receives an IP, this has been resolved elsewhere - presumably your system has resolved the name locally, thus advertising to all and sundry where your traffic is now bound.

It's a bit of a hiccup, and is due to the program erring on the side of caution. There's a whole load of guff about it here:

http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#head-e0b83d1dae14b598d805a972c1e9b07f717a9be1

This issue is on their To Do list.

Anyway, I sat there for at least an hour or two trying to make the Freecap/Proxomitron combination misbehave, and checking for leaks with Active Ports. Steady as a rock, and nothing connected except through Tor, so I can guarantee the network was doing any resolving necessary. So as I said, a spurious warning.

Kevin

- Another Guest - Nov. 25, 2005 02:20 PM

[quote="Guest"]tools for tor:

Aphoxy 1.3
Aphoxy is an HTTP-over-socks4a proxy. It is very important for browsers that would otherwise leak DNS information...
/quote]

Did Aphoxy really work for you? Doesn't for me on windoze 2k SP4, trying to run it in a command box it just closes down without opening a port or even diagnosing what's wrong... Is this a fake ?

The command I gave it :

> aphoxy.exe 127.0.0.1 9050 127.0.0.1 8118

Any comments from others ?

You do not need this - Guest - Dec. 07, 2005 02:36 PM

Another Guest Wrote:[quote=Guest]tools for tor:

Aphoxy 1.3
/quote]

Did Aphoxy really work for you? Doesn't for me on windoze 2k SP4, trying to run it in a command box it just closes down without opening a port or even diagnosing what's wrong... Is this a fake ?

The command I gave it :

> aphoxy.exe 127.0.0.1 9050 127.0.0.1 8118

Any comments from others ?

Aphoxy works for me, but you do not need this.

If you run up-to-date proxomitron soxified with latest firefox and disable the UDP port 53 (DNS) you'll see that all requests are running through TOR (encrypted and anon). Just run a network monitor to check wich ports are used by an application.

Anyway I'am not a coder so I can't help myself by parsing through the source of Aphex applications. So I stay away from those uncommon software until it's verified as secure.

- Guest from Post above - Dec. 07, 2005 02:46 PM

By the way the last 2 days I was running through all these helpfull guides and set up my TOR.

But I can't recommend an combination of privoxy/asphyx and TOR because I get a lot of "cant resolve DNS" from privoxy (see the bug tracker on the page, anyway latest version is 1 year ago) and "connection refused by server" from asphyx.

I recommend Browser (Firefox 1.5x) -> soxified Proxomitron Naoko 4.51 (with sockscap) -> TOR (as default).

And the firewall setup you can find in these great guides here (close everything else Wink)

- Notageek - Dec. 29, 2005 05:24 PM

I get a lot of 404-nodmain found when I use proxo, tor and prioxy. How would one fix this?

- Kye-U - Dec. 29, 2005 08:25 PM

Notageek Wrote:I get a lot of 404-nodmain found when I use proxo, tor and prioxy. How would one fix this?

This occasionally happens when Tor needs to be restarted. Attached is a Batch file I wrote to restart the Tor service to fix this problem.