Proxomitron Germany
Sep. 28, 2008, 02:50 PM
Proxomitron Germany
Hello,

Are any of you aware of Proxomitron Germany at the following (Babelfish translated) url :-

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate...%2fProx%2f

Seems to be an active operation similar to, and maybe bigger than, what Sidki had going. From what I can tell, it might be the only other active site in the world beyond here and Castlecops.

There is a Standard and Professional version; I haven't yet tried the Pro version or found out if it is a 'pay to use' version.
I'm giving the Standard version a go. Comes with a pretty well filled bypass list which I like.
I don't have more than a basic understanding of German, so I can't confidently decide which filters to turn on or off in the config, but out of the box it seems pretty good to me.
There are some structural differences to the Sidki methods, but I was able to work out, for example, that they have an equivalent of the AdKeys-S.ptxt which is AdAttribs-S.txt although apparently using commas rather than dots in a $SET entry.

Maybe if somebody here is bilingual it would be excellent to hook up with the Germans there and get the config(s) translated? That would initially be a tedious task, but once it is done .....
Smile!
Obviously the language barrier doesn't impact generally on how urls are treated, although there are (presumably) some .de specific domains catered for rather than generic .com versions.

Lee
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 28, 2008, 03:18 PM
RE: Proxomitron Germany
hmmm, interesting indeed...

ps, per CastleCops, sidki lives in Germany...

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Sep. 28, 2008, 05:27 PM
I haven't looked into the forums there etc to see if Sidki is around.
I'm toddling on ok with the German default config so far ... they offer two of which the 'werbefilter_an' one I think is meant to have a bias on removing ads.
I've merged in JJoe's Y!Login script which I use, and added in the Google 'Add Date Range' filter from our English config. Might add some other filters too.
I might try putting half-SSL into it, grabbing what seems relevant from the English config.

Lee

PS off-topic : this use of the German Prox isn't related at all to my recent 'saga' regarding Yahoo webmail. However, the German config I'm using also treats my 'rogue' webmail login differently to the others, with or without the Adkeys-S entry, so something is obviously different in the page makeup when logging in with that specific @yahoo.com ID.
Dec. 07, 2008, 02:53 AM
Hello Smile!

Just to aid some of you in your quest, the particular german Proxomitron website offers two list,
"Werbefilter_an" which tries to target advertisements, "Werbefilter_aus" just deactivates those filters.

The most advanced package is on the download site the 'Komplettpaket "Profi"' (Bundle profi) which also includes a translation of the English Prox 4.51- but also addional filters and scripts.

I cant say much about the quality at present as Im currently working out (..) to merge similiar filters, lists... (GER/RUS/WEB), nevertheless - when having a look at Wikipedia - there is also a Russian community ( http://proxomitron.ru/ ) - which looks really active as well as a Japanese one ( http://www.pluto.dti.ne.jp/~tengu/proxomitron/ ) - unfortunately looking really outdated..

Hope thats somehow useful for one or other.

// And of course they are free of any charge Cool
Dec. 07, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Darkling, Welcome and thanks for your first post, sure it will help. Many thanks and keep on posting with us Wink
Dec. 08, 2008, 04:40 PM
I have tried the German version with the "Werbefilter_an" and it is extremely fast and very nice . Unfortunately , my german is quite rusty but the program is works perfectly . My custom filters which were collected over several years were no doubt slowing down my surfing . Now how do I incorporate my customized Proxo with the German version ? I tried copying the german default cfg into my Proxo folder and then choosing the German default on "load config file " but I got too many errors . Obviously , I needed to copy the whole german kaboodle but I didn't want to screw up my original folders . I know when I'm getting over my head and backed off . Sad But it sure is very nice .
Jan. 09, 2009, 12:37 AM
I have continued playing with the German Proxomitron using the default "werbefilter_an "; it is extremely fast , incredible with youtube and removing junk from pages . However , whenever I try to include this cfg into my normal Sidke cfg I get a whole bunch of errors . I am at a loss as to how to have the best of both worlds . It's easy enough to copy some of Sidke's filters into the German cfg but I would like copy the German cfg into Sidke's cfg and have a choice when choosing load conf so that "WerbeFilter_an " loads without errors .
Jan. 09, 2009, 04:27 AM
hello Ralph,

I didn't continue with the German Prox, but I would imagine it's very hard to merge it with Sidki's config and coding style unless you are a fiendish expert on such things.
However, now Sidki has reappeared on the scene (I assume you've seen that on this site), it appears we will be lucky enough to get a new English config soon.

Lee

Smile!
Jan. 09, 2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks , leecovuk ; the German version is "lean and mean" ; it gets the filtering done lighting fast but doesn't do much with altering page formats , signing in at sites , or changing colors . I think my current Sidke default is bogged down with a lot of stuff I really don't need . When I switch to Sidke's_oob.ptron everything is much faster , smoother , and with very few hitches ; I know that I'm speaking in some generality here , but for those who haven't tried the German version it's very , very nice . I wish my German was better ! Regards , Ralph