Where's my cookie?
Dec. 19, 2008, 01:16 AM
RE: Where's my cookie?
ProxRocks;

No to both questions - no 3rd party cookie managers, no URL caching proggies.

Graycode;

Yes, but RFC-2965 is supposed to supplant the original RFC, not sit side-by-side with it. SetCookie2 is the alleged standard which is supposed to be followed, the prior standard is, for all intents and purposes, deprecated. But you and I both know how long that takes to happen! Whistling

And AFAIK, this server isn't using js to manipulate any cookies, but yes, in general, many sites do just that. However, Scott's default config has a couple of filters to deal with both kinds, header and script. I happen to have all of them turned off, as is normal for all my browsing. I figure that I'd like to know who's sending me these things, and then add their names to the s-can list. Sinister No further intervention needed, hehehehehe. Big Teeth

In point of fact, while Kye-u has chosen a pretty trustworthy hosting provider, I still leave Proxo in the loop just for modifying the appearance of the site. But as I've already stated, it makes no difference if I remove Proxo from my machine entirely - I still don't get the little link on the front page that says "Remember me". That used to be there, but no longer. And I find it a strange coincidence that it disappeared at the exact same time I got this new laptop with WXPSP2...... (Actually, it came with Wishta on it.... you can guess how long that lasted.)

That is the real problem - where's the "Remember me" link? ??? I even went so far as to look at the actual log-in page, not just the "quick log-in" that pops out if you hit the link within the parenthesis - not there either.

Let me ask everyone this question: if you purposely log out of this Forum, and then bring up the main page (that of this Forum, not of Kye-u's whole website), do you see the "Remember me" link? If not, then the problem lays with Kye-u's setup of the hosting package. If you all do get the link, then I'm dead-in-the-water. Cry

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 19, 2008, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: Dec. 19, 2008 02:20 AM by Mele20.)
Have you unchecked the filter to make all cookies session only? That is the first thing I do with Proxo. Scott's last config is especially notorious for mysteriously resetting the check mark but Sidki's does it too. Anytime I have trouble with getting a site to set a permanent cookie on any browser the culprit is that filter and it has become rechecked. It is checked by default so any upgrade in a config set will have it set.

I have always used Fx for many years set to ask first about any cookies and I can see exactly what each cookie is that a site wants to set. I can tell Fx to change cookies that a site wants to set as permanent to session only which is what that Proxo filter does. When I see on Fx that a site like this is ONLY offering me session cookies and I have come here and found I am not logged in then I know the problem is most likely that Proxo filter which has somehow become active again.

I see exactly the same behavior in IE because I use Advanced Privacy settings so IE prompts on cookies similar to Fx. This site sets 6 cookies on IE 6. Only ONE is permanent and that is the one you need to remain logged here. There is no "remember me box" here. Just don't logout and you stay remembered as long as you don't get rid of the permanent cookie.

Try setting IE under Privacy to custom and then Advanced. Check Override Automatic Cookie Handling. Then check Prompt for First Party Cookies. Check Block for Third Party Cookies. Leave Always Allow Session Cookies UNCHECKED. (I also add this site to Per Site Privacy Actions and set it to Allow cookies always and this setting means no prompting here to login. I am perpetually logged in here until I remove the site from the Per Site Privacy Settings or change the setting to Block. Of course, Proxo settings can change things, this site can have a problem and temporarily cause changes, etc.).

I suggest you set IE as above and come here and observe each cookie. The permanent cookie is number 5 I think. There are three cookies set here the moment you reach this site as a virgin surfer to this site on IE (you have cleared cookies, etc. so you are coming here as though this is the first time you have ever been here on IE). The first three cookies are set before you can do anything here are session only. Then when you go to login you get three more cookies and I think it is the second of those three that is the Permanent one. If you are not being offered ALL the cookies here, including the Permanent one, when doing it as I have described then something is interfering....most likely Proxo.

I went to preview this and realized I didn't see the third page of this thread before I wrote the above. I read your last post just now and some of what I have written above doesn't apply now that I undertstand you have the problem even when you are connecting directly to the internet with no Proxo. I still think you should set IE cookies as I described so you can see exactly what cookies are offered to you and maybe we can figure out the problem from there. There is no remember me ...at least I have not seen that here for some time but doing cookies as I do on IE or Fx which I usually use keeps me logged in here without any need for "remember me" checkbox.

I will say that IE here is a major pain in the butt. I just tried to use it to read page three of this thread and it was on page two yet tells me it can't find the site when I clicked on page 3. I tried Opera and it immediately came here and went to page 3 of this thread with no problems. I tried IE again and it just sat there trying to load page 3 and it never did. KyeU's site is strange anyway. On Vista, I can NOT set a bookmark for these forums in Fx 3. I set it and then when I go to use it, I get a parking site saying KyeU domain is for sale. Drives me nuts. I have set the bookmark repeatedly and it will not set on Fx 3 on Vista. IE is even worse here. The ONLY browsers that work well here are Fx 1.5 on XP and Opera on XP.

Isn't there a way to add a screenshot here? I can't see an option and I'm on Fx 1.5. But this site has acted strangely for several days now. I don't know if I can post this as this site keeps going down briefly. Maybe it is my ISP because dslreports has been acting this way too for five nights but it is daytime now so I should not be having problems.

I wanted to post screenshots of the cookies here.
Ah...I see, I was using Quick Reply...wasn't a "quick" reply though was it? It was so long that I forgot I was using Quick Reply. Big Teeth

There are four, not three cookies when you login here. So, SEVEN not six total cookies here. I'm posting the third cookie offered during login. It is the permanent one. I can post screenshots of all of them if that would be helpful.

edit by admin: the attachment was deleted 'cause it would allow users to log in under someone else's username...
Dec. 19, 2008, 06:35 AM
I used to control cookies using both filters for cookies (make cookies into session cookies and do not allow cookies, making a longer list for the latter, and a short list for the former). I had fine control over cookies that way. I am controlling that now (basically the same principle) with Firefox instead, and am getting even better results because no unwanted cookies can sneak in.
Dec. 19, 2008, 05:42 PM
(Dec. 19, 2008 01:16 AM)Oddysey Wrote:  Yes, but RFC-2965 is supposed to supplant the original RFC, not sit side-by-side with it. SetCookie2 is the alleged standard which is supposed to be followed, the prior standard is, for all intents and purposes, deprecated. But you and I both know how long that takes to happen!
That particular RFC doesn't seem to bring much to the table, very few HTTP servers are bothering with it.

(Dec. 19, 2008 01:16 AM)Oddysey Wrote:  Let me ask everyone this question: if you purposely log out of this Forum, and then bring up the main page (that of this Forum, not of Kye-u's whole website), do you see the "Remember me" link? If not, then the problem lays with Kye-u's setup of the hosting package. If you all do get the link, then I'm dead-in-the-water.
I think you mean the login page at http://prxbx.com/wp-login.php linked from the main page. That one has a 'Remember Me' option but the form doesn't POST to the same place. It won't accept my Id / Pwd, keeps saying "ERROR: Invalid username." Apparently it's not applicable for logging in as a forum member, maybe it's for logging in as an admin.

(Dec. 19, 2008 06:35 AM)Siamesecat Wrote:  I am controlling that now (basically the same principle) with Firefox instead, and am getting even better results because no unwanted cookies can sneak in.
It's great that some browsers are now acknowledging that privacy issues exist with cookies and are giving users some tools to manage that. It would be terrific if browsers Defaulted to throwing away all cookies on exit except those few that a user asked to remain. Sinister
Dec. 20, 2008, 05:39 AM
I'll try to keep this brief, the innerweb is being gawd-awful slow tonight.... must be that winter storm we're supposed to be getting in the next few hours, and that will last for a day or more. Yeah, and if pigs had wings. Big Teeth Anyways.......

I could have started with "I wish I knew what the forum did with my post" that I had written just a few hours after Mele posted. Somehow, even though I checked to make sure it was there before I logged out, when I came back this morning, it was gone. Aw well, that ain't the first time it's happened, nor probably the last. Best to just live with it, and move on. Applause

Graycode, I meant the Forum's official log-in page, which as you found out, isn't the same thing as the page for the main website. I found that by looking at the source code for the Forum's main page, and saw that the Log-in link (within the parenthesis) has two HTTP jumps. Of course, if there's a script linked to an event, then the event handler will trump the HTML jump. In this case, it's an onClick pointing to a script that unhides a small form, whereas the <a href.... goes to a real page - that's the one I'm referring to, that has no "Remember me" check box. At least, not on my screen. Sad

As it happens, IE 6 has always had a cookie handler. If you'll look under Tools/Internet Options, the Privacy tab, you'll see a row of buttons at the bottom of the cookie box. Select one of the options, if you trust the sparce "tips", or select advanced, and you'll be able to fine-tune your cookie handling preferences. I've set mine to accept all first-party cookies, block all third-party cookies, and always allow session cookies. But even after setting "Accept third-party cookies", I still get the same results, namely nada. Cry

Let's hear from Our Fearless Leader on this one.... Kye-u, what's the story? It seems to me, at this point, that I'm in the same boat as any other newcomer (at least those using IE) - if I don't get a permanent cookie, what are they getting? Or to be more accurate, what are they not getting?

Oh, and for testing purposes, I severed the "retired" laptop from it's current duties as the household network's print and file server, and fired it up. It's running WXPSP2, no further mods, straight out of the box, and the original version of IE6, no mods at all. As you might guess, it also gets no permanent cookies. I'm almost afraid to try with the frau's machine, she's got Norton 360 installed, and that's just too much garbage for me to deal with. Dead (Otherwise, it's identical to my setup, minus Proxo - she really likes that Norton, don't ask me why. Shock)

That's my core dump for the night, I'll check in tomorrow, providing that my ISP hasn't gone home for an early holiday, thinking that the storm means that no one wants to jump on the innerwebs!

Oddysey

(EDIT: Just checked, this post is here, as of 9:40pm PST, 12/19/2008)

Dec. 20, 2008, 06:38 AM
Oddysey,
I can tell you that I do have persistent cookies from this site. I see the "Welcome back" message near the top of the page when I go to the index page. I have Firefox managing my cookies, which it does very well. I never bother logging out.
Dec. 20, 2008, 07:43 AM
Well, that was dumb of me posting a screen shot of that cookie. Thanks to whoever removed the attachment.

Oddysey, did you try temporarily putting IE on Prompt for first party cookies, and remove this site (if there and since you accept all first party cookies there is probably nothing there) from per site privacy actions, then come here and examine each cookie you are offered to see if you are even offered the persistent one?

I am typing this from IE6. Last night, I logged in here from IE instead of Fx and just now, I opened IE and came here (took 49.2 seconds for the page to load). I had to accept one session cookie and I was STILL logged in from last night. So, IE 6 on XP Pro SP2 can do permanent cookies here.
Dec. 20, 2008, 06:57 PM
I did a search and found this topic: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-421...ght=cookie

I've made the changes in the forum configuration Wink
I hope this solves the issue!
Visit this user's website
Dec. 21, 2008, 05:47 AM
Key-u;

Sorry, no dice. Same-o, same-o. I see the change you made to the cookie path in the log window, but that didn't fill the doctor's prescription. Dead

I also set my browser to accept any and all cookies, as mentioned in your referenced thread..... I'll let you guess the results of that one. Cry

Ya know, I've just realized, if everyone else is getting at least 4 to 6 cookies, and I only get 3 or 4 (the 4th coming upon successful login), then I'm just plain not getting what I should be getting, no doubt about it. I've done everything I can do on my end, so I'm left with naught else but.... begging! Would someone please be so kind as to PM me their cookies, minus any and all personally identifying information? I'm at my wit's end here, it seems like this would be pretty much the last possibility of regaining what I've had for years, the ability to remain logged in with a permanent cookie.

Thanks.

Oddysey

Dec. 21, 2008, 01:05 PM
if you are truly at your wit's end, why are you not "faking" your cookie?

PROXO can FIX your problem, PROXO can FAKE the cookie needed on this forum... whoala! problem solved... imho...
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:15 AM
Prox"Rocks;
(Dec. 21, 2008 01:05 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  if you are truly at your wit's end, why are you not "faking" your cookie?

PROXO can FIX your problem, PROXO can FAKE the cookie needed on this forum... whoala! problem solved... imho...
Yes, but the faked cookie needs to meet some expectations, or it will be rejected. If it's not at least close to what the server expects, then it's no dice in Trust and Acceptance land. That's why I want to see what a cookie looks like, as in its basic layout. I can supply the personal info where that's needed, which of course is what's faked, but I can't just "put it anywhere", and expect the desired result.

As noted a priori, I can't use the one from my W98SESP1 box for an example layout - tried that, got just as far as I'm getting now...... Sad

~!~!~!~
Mele, I hadn't thought to observe what IE is seeing (as coming from the server) when prompting me for cookie acceptance/rejection, I'll give that a whirl in a bit, and report back to ya. Thanks for the tip.

Oddysey

Dec. 22, 2008, 05:57 PM
Code:
[HTTP headers]
In = FALSE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Cookie: Set fake cookies {ln}081206 (out) WIP\1"
URL = "$LST(FakeCookies)"
Match = "\1"
Replace = "$GET(FakeCookie)\; \1$LOG(G$DTM(c): Fake cookie in \u)"

Content of FakeCookies.txt
Code:
# FakeCookies.txt
# NOADDURL
#
prxbx.com/forums/ $SET(FakeCookie=mybbuser=place your code here)

Take a look to the HTTP Headers in the log window when browsing this site. You will see in green Cookie: * mybbuser=*;*

The second asterisc represents the code you have to put in the fakecookies.txt
Dec. 23, 2008, 06:05 AM
(Dec. 21, 2008 05:47 AM)Oddysey Wrote:  Ya know, I've just realized, if everyone else is getting at least 4 to 6 cookies, and I only get 3 or 4 (the 4th coming upon successful login), then I'm just plain not getting what I should be getting, no doubt about it. I've done everything I can do on my end, so I'm left with naught else but.... begging! Would someone please be so kind as to PM me their cookies, minus any and all personally identifying information? I'm at my wit's end here, it seems like this would be pretty much the last possibility of regaining what I've had for years, the ability to remain logged in with a permanent cookie.
Right now, I have 7 cookies from this site. One, called sid, is a session cookie. The rest are persistent.
mybuser
mybb[threadread]
mybb[forumread]
mybb[lastvisit]
mybb[lastactive]
loginattempts
Dec. 23, 2008, 10:12 PM
I FOUND MY COOKIE..... sorta
Siamesecat;

That's interesting - I don't the the two "....read" cookies at all. I do get the other five, but none of them are persistent, they're all sid - at least for me.

So here's what I've done. My brain finally engaged itself for longer than it takes to reach into the fridge for unneeded calories, and tumbled to the what I said earlier about a separate log-in page. I now link to that instead of the Forum's main page. If you'll recall, I've mentioned before about having several semi-automatic log-in filters for other sites..... yeppers, that's what I've done here. A new filter for prxbx.com, and whoala!, I'm only one simple mouse-click away from seeing all of my cronies' content! Big Teeth

PROBLEM effectively SOLVED!

FWIW, I long ago made the decision not to automate that last mouse-click, the one that says "Submit". Seems once in awhile I'd end up going where I didn't wanna go, I was too quick on the draw in the Favorites menu. Sad That "make-sure" feature sort of keeps me going where I do really wanna go, if you get my drift. Sinister

My thanks to all who offered help. It seems that my setup (machine, OS, other software, etc.) no longer plays nice with Our Fearless Leader's chosen hosting provider and/or the MyBB hosting package. Yes, it would have been nice to get to the real root of the problem, but the knowlege to be gained thereby is no longer worth the expense of gaining it. I've long lived with my adapted kludgesolution for logging into other websites, so I'm certainly not gonna kick about using it here. Wink Much grass, and Cheers!

(EDIT: Hold on there Bobalooie, there's an even better solution. Read whenever's posting below, and my reply on the next page.)

Oddysey

Jan. 05, 2009, 02:13 AM
Just found this in the User Control Panel. What's the status of your second check box?

Attached File(s)
.png  option.png (Size: 2.45 KB / Downloads: 644)