What's Your Main Internet Browser?
Jan. 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
RE: What's Your Main Internet Browser?
(Jan. 14, 2009 09:04 AM)bugger Wrote:  2. Using text editor open IncludeExclude.ptxt

Better use the corresponding section in IncludeExclude-U.ptxt. Then you can carry over your stuff easily to new config versions.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 15, 2009, 02:32 AM
(Jan. 14, 2009 09:04 AM)bugger Wrote:  Isn't JavaScript a standard? So if a browser nearly passes the ACID 3 test. Then it should work on most JavaScript regardless of the browser.

Let me give you an example how to insert user CSS with proxomitron.

Thanks Bugger, I see what you mean; ie I/we could try that technique to insert javascript rather than css. I might give it a go if I'm feeling adventurous.
Smile!
As for javascript being a standard, I stand to be corrected, but there seem to be quite a few parts or coding methods that are IE specific, for example. Maybe I have been victim to this with the handful of scripts I use, when trying them in IE, inserting them with IE7Pro, for example.

Back on the browser topic;
I think I've decided to give up (for now anyway) on using Seamonkey 2.0a2 to replace / semi replicate FF2 + Thunderbird. Mainly because one of my primary extensions, Mnenhy, isn't updated and forcing it in using a modified install.rdf file causes the overall User Prefs options menu to break in both the email client and browser. For me, anyway.

I've installed FF3.1 Beta2 which apparently has a slightly different build than FF3.0x regarding the url bar. I have also found an Awesome Options extension which, along with fiddling about in about:config, makes the url bar behaviour more bearable. I have become overly concerned about the url bar anyway. Heck, if it ignores me that much, I can just trim it right back and live without it offering any autocompletion at all. A small price to pay for a supported browser, extensions and Greasemonkey.

I'll keep an eye, though, on Seamonkey, as I do like the concept of an integrated browser and email client, etc. Their url bar (and gecko core) is based on the FF build, but apparently the nightly builds are experimenting with built in Awesome Bar options. ie, it may turn out to be more customisable in that regard than Firefox. We'll see. Smile!

Lee
Jan. 15, 2009, 09:16 AM
Awesome options extension? I'm not familar with that one. I use Oldbar extension and a bunch of tweaks in about:config to tame that Loathsome bar in Fx 3.

My main browser has been Mozilla based since I got my first computer back in 1999. I loved Mozilla browser before development was stopped on it and then the community took it over and named it SeaMonkey which I like the Alpha version but it is taking so long to make headway with the new version of SeaMonkey that I have stopped using it. I was using both Mozilla and Phoenix then Firebird then Firefox for many years and I used Netscape in the beginning up through version 6 and then AOL ruined it. I have used Opera since its very first version about ten years ago but I didn't buy it so I didn't use it much at all until it became free of charge. I really liked the recent Opera's but I can't stand 9.6 because the Loathsome bar in it is even worse than the one in Firefox. I read an excellent, eloquent review and plea from a long time Opera user/developer who loathes Opera's new Loathsome bar and who says Opera has lost its way over this issue and is no longer the best browser.

Currently, I use Fx 1.5 on my host machine. I never liked Fx2 because of privacy issues that were introduced in it. Plus, I use Mozilla based browsers because of tabbed browsing and the very first extension for Mozilla browser back in 2001 (maybe before that?) was Piro's Tabbed Browser Extensions. I fell in love with that extension and I refuse to part with it after all these years. It did not work in Fx 2. I forced it to work (Piro dropped work on it and disappeared for over a year) but not perfectly like in 1.5. Piro developed mini extensions for Fx3 that are a pale imitation of TBE and have several problems.

Besides the TBE situation, Fx3 has to have considerable tweaking for privacy and for the Loathsome bar and don't get me going on how awful bookmarks and history are in Fx3. On GRC.com's cookie tests, for me, only Fx 1.5 passes. Fx2 and 3 leak third party cookies most contextual ones but some others too and only one, non-officially released version (written expressly for us testing the cookie project at GRC) of CookieSafe can get Fx3 to pass all cookie tests at GRC.
Jan. 15, 2009, 11:31 AM
Leecovuk , maybe you would prefer Firefox 3.1 with an email notifier addon: Simple Mail
Also there are specific addons for gmail or yahoo
Jan. 15, 2009, 09:55 PM
Hello and thanks, Mele20 and lnminente.

'Loathsome Bar' ... good name ! Smile!

I have just been trying Thunderbird 3.0b1, but the FF3.x Gecko core and 'awesomeness' is in there too with the aim of making mail searches better. The headers pane has been modified and somewhat changed into an 'actions' panel.
I don't like the new headers pane and the Mnenhy extension isn't working, so back to TB 2.x and FF3.1x for me, for now.

Lee
Jan. 17, 2009, 12:12 AM
Sigh. I didn't know the loathsome bar got into Thunderbird also. I was thinking of trying TB again. I used it some years ago and I liked it except for a couple of things. With Windows 7 having no email client and even Vista having none that is being developed, I'm going to have to find an email client in the not so distant future. I have used OE for ten years and (I know many think this is really weird) I actually like it a lot. Some of that is simple familiarity after all this time but when I used TB, I still liked OE better. Now, if that bar is in TB....ugh. Does TB still do Identities? Vista's Windows Mail make a gigantic mess of importing OE mail because it doesn't recognize identities. Identities is something I really don't want to give up. TB used to do them just fine but that was several years ago.
Jan. 17, 2009, 02:50 AM
Hello again mele,

Yes, I found Outlook Express ok when I used to use it. Does the job.

When you say 'identities' do you mean the ability to choose 'who you are' out of a predetermined selection of email address/account identities when you send an email? If so, I didn't investigate that in TB3 but yes, TB2 has that functionality. I doubt they would have removed that in TB3.

Lee
Jan. 18, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm using Firefox 3, the last stable subversion. I've installed pretty much all browsers that run in Windows 2000, but not Safari, i don't know why.

Firefox also because i can hardly do anything useful without the userChrome.js and DOM Inspector extensions. I have a few more extensions like Firebug and ConsoleĀ², but i guess i could live without them.

(Dec. 05, 2008 03:29 AM)Kye-U Wrote:  For me, I use Chrome/Chromium, Firefox and Opera sparingly.

Sorry about going OT! But did you actually get Chrome to work with one of the recent sidki-configs?

I'm asking because i'm a bit unhappy with leaving linkodz alone, when requesting Chrome compatibility. I can't test it in my OS. (Well, i could install it in a Vista or XP virtual machine, but such things tend to be time intense, because i don't have any tools there that help with troubleshooting.)
Jan. 18, 2009, 11:16 PM
I've settled on the latest FF and TB official releases. Anything newer/beta gets me into tricky territory regarding addon compatibility etc.

Sidki, if you want, I can install Chrome and show / tell you whatever is necessary to debug the missing menu issue. I use Windows XP. Let me know if that kind of remote help is of any use to you.

Lee
Jan. 18, 2009, 11:18 PM
Sidki, your config works fine; it's just the fact that the stats (cookies, timer, etc.) at the bottom left corner of the page, and the Proxomitron menu (the green triangle in the bottom right) do not show up. I think it has something to do with the Javascript function(s) =\

I alternate between Firefox, Opera, Chromium and K-Meleon Wink The above problem is only experienced in Chromium/Chrome.
Visit this user's website
Jan. 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
(Jan. 18, 2009 11:18 PM)Kye-U Wrote:  Sidki, your config works fine; it's just the fact that the stats (cookies, timer, etc.) at the bottom left corner of the page, and the Proxomitron menu (the green triangle in the bottom right) do not show up. I think it has something to do with the Javascript function(s) =\
Yes, indeed, the config set itself isn't ignored, or anything. It's just the issue of the in-page insertions.

(we/you should probably continue this on the other thread for consistency .... )

Smile!
Lee
Feb. 11, 2009, 03:43 PM
(Feb. 11, 2009 12:59 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  
(Feb. 11, 2009 12:14 PM)lnminente Wrote:  when this occurs i will be using Firefox 3.1 :DDDD

good luck with that!...

being objective as opposed to my normal anti-Fox stance, i really must say i do NOT like the direction that Firefox is heading...

and it's not "just me", MANY "i love my Fox" Firefox followers are expressing their discontent with said "direction" (i'm thinking z12 was one of them on this very forum)...

MANY users are greatly dissatisified with the new toolbar (whatever they are calling it now)... sure, "they'll get used to it", lol...

memory management is getting "better" - but come on now, be honest, do you "really" like your browser using 100 to 150 MEGAbytes of memory ??? (i lmao each and every time a coworker complains that his Adobe Reader will not open, my reply is ALWAYS the same, "open task manager, how much memory is Firefox eating up?"... closes Firefox... "hey! that fixed it, thanks!"... but to each their own, he continues to use Firefox just to browse, if he were using extensions, javascript console features, or "any" TOOL from Firefox, that would be a different story altogether, but i digress)... [oh, and i can't talk the guy into the LITE version of Adobe Reader either, that would solve his problem also, without the need to shut down memory-hungry apps on his 1.5G of RAM machine...]

the "direction" Firefox is taking with javascript leads little to be desired...
why don't they just add Active-X while they are at it?

don't get me wrong, i use Firefox (seldomly, but hey, "baby steps")...
and i'll be sticking with v2 for as long as i can...

Netscape Navigator/Communicator "died" because of 'bloat'...
let's cross our fingers that Firefox doesn't stumble down the same road...

but again, i digress...

PR, before going to FF, i was in Maxthon for a long time. It's a browser i really like. I moved to firefox for not downloading hide flash objects.

I can understand you hate it because it's 150mb in memory can give you many headaches because of normal-low computer users. The same users which doesn't know they can copy the formula of a ceil dragging the small black box down right, and they instead write the formula and change the A1 for A2, later the A2 for A3...

Trust me, try FF 3.1b2 for a week, when you don't like like hiding the tabbar do a small googling. Also search for triming memory when firefox is minimized...

The tools i have added to firefox, the maximization of vertical space for using in my laptop, the feeds reader, the new email notifications, the custom style for pages with updates from his autors, greasemonkey, noscript, notification for changes in every web i select, modifications of cookies, firebug, custom buttons (very very good addon, for deleting cache in only one click, enable/disable proxy/javascript/images/sidebar and everything you want if know javascripting), firefusk, EZnav, different profiles one for surfing, other for debugging or addons i use less.
To mention the possibility of synchronizing my profiles to have the browser exactly the same in my both computers...

If you try it i could send you the list of the addons i use Wink
Feb. 11, 2009, 10:47 PM
Hello again,

I settled on the latest official/stable Firefox 3.0.* a few weeks ago. I've grown tolerant/resigned to the Awesome Bar and have trimmed it back a little anyway.
I do find Firefox can take around 20 seconds to open on my old slow pc, but I haven't examined the impact my addons are having on that. (I have around 20 addons)

Generally I concluded Firefox was still the most suitable browser for me, in view of addons, Greasemonkey and profile tools such as Mozbackup.
To be honest, I also don't mind IE7. It also opens much quicker for me.

Lee
Mar. 23, 2009, 11:31 PM
Opera 9.64 for me (I'm not into alpha or betas). Nothing has compteted with Opera since I started using it back in 2001.
Mar. 25, 2009, 12:12 PM
just switched to IE8 as the engine for my GreenBrowser/Sleipnir/Maxthon shells...
must say, HIGHLY impressed with IE8's improvement over IE7 (wikipedia and netflix sites now no longer need visited with Opera-only because of choppy scrolling, for example)...

GreenBrowser is still the default, by FAR, followed by Opera, then Sleipnir, then Maxthon, then Firefox...

i've become quite impressed with Firefox's Error Console, but unless i'm tracking down an actual error, Firefox is simply never used to just "browse the 'net"... to each their own, i know...