Petition to improve the RSS feeds
Dec. 05, 2008, 07:26 PM
Petition to improve the RSS feeds
Here goes my petition to improve the RSS feeds, the actual feeds only notice me about new threads, seeing inside each one the first post of each thread.

I would like to prescind of email notifications or always going to the "View New Post" in the top menu. Would be better the RSS feeds to tell us about new posts, not new threads. Many people here uses RSS readers and we could answer faster for sure. Also in this way recent threads with more than one day without posts would not be forgotten.

Could be possible please?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 08, 2008, 12:26 PM
RE: Petition to improve the RSS feeds
I'm receiving email notifications from 5 days old...Sad

Suscribing to proxomitron filters i don't get anything, it is always blank... With RSS full working people could follow us with their PDAs.
Dec. 08, 2008, 12:51 PM
um, how many people use RSS/e-mail to follow this forum?

i know i don't...
nothing against the "ability" to do so, i'm just saying that i think 'most' of us simply log in, click the "view new posts", and be done with it (or "view today's posts" for those like me that log in a dozen times per day)...
Dec. 08, 2008, 04:10 PM
I, like you, also log in a dozen times per day here. But i think instead most of people will only visit us a few times each week without doing login, so for them it's not usefull the "view today's post", neither thecan use "view new posts". My reason for thinking they don't login, is because they don't click on thanks button. If that people interested in following our forum have to remember to come here every week could have it easier to see what's new, i think it would be really useful for having fast answers and more activity...

I just started to suscribe to the feeds of my favourite sites, and i find it really useful for don't wasting time to go to every web i like to see if they have or not updates. To say again, people could follow us better with their PDA's while they go to his work in metro.

When no Rss, i use an addon for firefox: Update scanner, if give it a try i recommend to set his config with numbers, not with sliders.

Just my thoughts, maybe people find it well just like it is... but if it's not very difficult to improve the feeds i would give it a try Wink
Dec. 09, 2008, 03:52 AM
I use RSS and e-mail to follow this forum. If there are no RSS or e-mail updates, I think there are no new posts and won't come here.

As lnminente pointed out, this forum's RSS updates on new threads while not on new posts so I usually found there were some new posts on older threads I missed when I was informed to come here on new threads.

I know phpBB could output RSS on new posts but as to MyBB I don't know.
Dec. 10, 2008, 12:09 PM
I disabled email notifications seven days ago, but the email i received today about a post from Graycode as "New Reply to Opera@USB + Flash..." was eight days old ...
Dec. 13, 2008, 09:56 PM
Inminente, I've been trying to search for a way to get it to show posts instead of threads, and just now I found a "How To" with almost the same text as yours (I had to do a double-glance, I couldn't believe my eyes).

I have implemented the change; I'm all for improving the forums, and I'm glad that you have "subscribed" to TUOPF! Wink
Visit this user's website
Dec. 14, 2008, 12:44 AM
Many many thanks Kye-U, i apreciate a lot that upgrade in feeds, also the nice words Smile!
I had prepared an useful link for this theme, but now already implemented Smile! : http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic...5#p7806445

For people wich don't find the button to suscribe, it is at the bottom of this page in the white bar
Dec. 14, 2008, 01:59 AM
The LiveClick Addon for Firefox notifies you when there are new feeds Wink
Dec. 15, 2008, 08:49 AM
Could the link in the RSS have the post ID attached so that a click would bring us to the post, while not the thread?
Dec. 15, 2008, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: Dec. 15, 2008 02:34 PM by lnminente.)
I was going to tell the same than whenever here. Sometimes the post is in other page, and the rss is linking to the first page Wink

@Kye-u, Testing the fix for dates, thanks Wink

@Kye-u, The problem i commented you about unread posts marked as read persisted after modifying dates. It's the link to the thread, it has to be changed to link to the post, i'm pretty sure.

Sorry for all of this inconveniences and many thanks in advance Wink
Dec. 16, 2008, 03:10 AM
There, the URLs should now direct to the individual posts instead of the entire thread.

This is just for my personal usage if I update the forum software and my changes get erased:

Code:
// Get the threads to syndicate.
$query = $db->query("
    SELECT t.tid, p.pid, p.dateline, p.edittime, t.subject, f.allowhtml, f.allowmycode, f.allowsmilies, f.allowimgcode,
    f.name, p.message, u.username, p.smilieoff, f.fid
    FROM ".TABLE_PREFIX."posts p
    LEFT JOIN ".TABLE_PREFIX."forums f ON (f.fid=p.fid)
    LEFT JOIN ".TABLE_PREFIX."threads t ON (t.tid=p.tid)
    LEFT JOIN ".TABLE_PREFIX."users u ON (u.uid=p.uid)
    WHERE t.visible=1 AND t.closed NOT LIKE 'moved|%' ".$forumlist."
    ORDER BY p.pid DESC
    LIMIT 0,".$thread_limit
);

// Set the feed type.
$feedgenerator->set_feed_format($mybb->input['type']);

// Set the channel header.
$channel = array(
    "title" => $title,
    "link" => $mybb->settings['bburl']."/",
    "date" => TIME_NOW,
    "description" => $mybb->settings['bbname']." - ".$mybb->settings['bburl']
);
$feedgenerator->set_channel($channel);

// Loop through all the threads.
while($thread = $db->fetch_array($query))
{
    $thread['link'] = $channel['link'].get_thread_link($thread['tid']).'&pid='.$thread['pid'].'#pid'.$thread['pid'];

(This is the code I modified to address the issues in this thread, in syndication.php) Wink
Mar. 23, 2009, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 23, 2009 01:46 AM by lnminente.)
Kye-U could you please format the date to have the time zone right? In that way everyone could see the right time. I did a search, instead of a Z, it should be -05:00
<published>2003-12-13T18:30:02Z</published>
<updated>2003-12-13T18:30:02-5:00</updated>

http://www.atomenabled.org/developers/sy...constructs
That was for Atom, for RSS is the same. Thanks in advance Wink
Mar. 23, 2009, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 23, 2009 02:33 AM by Kye-U.)
I've updated the code =]

Replaced all instances of Y-m-d\TH:i:s\Z with Y-m-d\TH:i:sP in inc/class_feedgeneration.php.
Does the RSS also need to have a colon? Right now it's "-0500", without any colon.

Let me know if it's fixed! Thanks.
Mar. 23, 2009, 02:59 PM
I see now the hour right with my time zone. Easier to follow now Smile!
To let you know I notice some differences between atom and rss. While Atom shows us the time of the last edit, RSS not, don't know ir RSS hasn't an <update> tag... I will use Atom better. Many thanks for fixing it Kye-U [Image: happy0034.gif]