sidki-config: Feb 13 2009
May. 21, 2009, 09:16 PM
RE: sidki-config: Feb 13 2009
(May. 21, 2009 02:39 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  And yep, <sometag someattribute[^>]+>$INEST(<sometag,</sometag)</sometag > is my standard way to match specific blocks. For the generic filters this usually means to fall back to Plan B (hide) if encountering </sometag-->.
I have the feeling that i'm opening a can of worms if i change that.

I'm going to check it nonetheless. (One worm down thus far.)
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
May. 22, 2009, 08:46 AM
(May. 21, 2009 02:39 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  And yep, <sometag someattribute[^>]+>$INEST(<sometag,</sometag)</sometag > is my standard way to match specific blocks. For the generic filters this usually means to fall back to Plan B (hide) if encountering </sometag-->.
No. I don't think so.

As the sina.com.cn example showed, it didn't fall back to Plan B when encountering </sometag-->. It still use Plan A but counted that </sometag--> as one ending tag, and then missed the real ending tag.

(May. 21, 2009 02:39 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  I have the feeling that i'm opening a can of worms if i change that.
I still don't understand what's the point to leave the </sometag unclosed in the $INEST() command. This time it matched </div-->, next time it may match </diva> or </divb> ...

btw, when will the next release come out? Smile!

There has been so many changes since the Feb 13 release and it is hard to follow every changes. How about to release a WIP config set so that when somebody report an issue we know we are using the same base.
May. 22, 2009, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: May. 22, 2009 10:02 AM by lnminente.)
And could be interesting if you would write what future plans you would like for your config in a try to promote a work group from the community. Maybe a group of betatesters or a group of people to split the filters in groups or whatever you dream. Just to try, i'm pretty sure many people want to help you too Wink
May. 22, 2009, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: May. 22, 2009 12:10 PM by sidki3003.)
(May. 22, 2009 08:46 AM)whenever Wrote:  
No. I don't think so.

As the sina.com.cn example showed, it didn't fall back to Plan B when encountering </sometag-->. It still use Plan A but counted that </sometag--> as one ending tag, and then missed the real ending tag.

Generic versus site-specific.

Quote:
(May. 21, 2009 02:39 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  I have the feeling that i'm opening a can of worms if i change that.
I still don't understand what's the point to leave the </sometag unclosed in the $INEST() command. This time it matched </div-->, next time it may match </diva> or </divb> ...

All signs that there is no reliable nested structure, on which $INEST depends. But as i said, i'm looking into it.

Quote:btw, when will the next release come out? Smile!

There has been so many changes since the Feb 13 release and it is hard to follow every changes. How about to release a WIP config set so that when somebody report an issue we know we are using the same base.

Maybe i'll start another thread about this later.
May. 22, 2009, 12:08 PM
(May. 22, 2009 09:58 AM)lnminente Wrote:  And could be interesting if you would write what future plans you would like for your config in a try to promote a work group from the community. Maybe a group of betatesters or a group of people to split the filters in groups or whatever you dream. Just to try, i'm pretty sure many people want to help you too Wink

I was trying to initiate something like this, a group at Google Code, in the About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) sticky. No real feedback yet. Probably i'm still here too often.
May. 22, 2009, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: May. 22, 2009 04:13 PM by lnminente.)
Let me guess what is happening Sidki. I think myself is a clear example of it, i would like to be able to manage your config, but the impossibility to understand it all at first, and having break some pages, moved me to write my own config. If i should had a minimal config, seeing clearly which filters matched and what changes they did, that should have been another story for me, and probably me and more people would be maintaining your config right now.

You are often here, that's right, but that's not the problem, i think the problem is that you are doing the things the community should do, becoming a so confortable state for all but you. A bug, call Sidki, another bug, call Sidki, oh i cant help you, call Sidki, another bug, oh i arrived late hopefully Sidki solved it.... But if you stay near to us, release a Sidki lite config and don't solve our problems suddenly, you wait we try before then the community would learn.

My best regards my friend i appreciate a lot your work and i want it to persist in time if you move to another projects in a future [Image: happy0034.gif]
May. 22, 2009, 05:20 PM
(May. 22, 2009 01:21 PM)lnminente Wrote:  i would like to be able to manage your config, but the impossibility to understand it all at first, and having break some pages, moved me to write my own config. ....
But if you stay near to us, release a Sidki lite config and don't solve our problems suddenly, you wait we try before then the community would learn.

Sidki's config is a great community service.
ProxRocks, whenever and other advanced proxo users
are already helping maintain it to the extent they can.
It is at a point where not much maintenance is required.
And, thanks to Kye-U, this forum has now become
a watering hole for proxo veterans and noobs alike.

Why try to change a winning recipe? By asking sidki to
create a 'lite set' you are hoping that the lay proxo
community will be able to 'learn' to solve their problems.
While this is commendable, I believe that the common proxo
users will NOT magically start fixing their own problems.
Rather, they'll gradually drift away to other alternatives.
And that is not what I want to happen. My 2c.

soccerfan
May. 22, 2009, 05:36 PM
Me neither want it to happen, and for that reason i wrote that, to prevent it, because Sidki is a human and he can leave his config any day. Then i ask what would happen...
May. 27, 2009, 01:36 PM
From a purely technical point of view, I can't really weigh into the discussion, but would make the following observation(s):

I've been using Proxo for years, mainly because I appreciate the job it does and the brilliance it took for Scott (and his band of elves) to make it what it is today.

I look at Sidki's latest config (Feb 13, 2009) and I'm overwhelmed by the content. Right now, I spend most of my time walking around it, trying to figure out what it does. The bravest act I've performed is to turn off the "Make Cookies Session only Cookies" (or words to that effect). I don't like having to sign in all the time.

In the last few days I've discovered that there are "patches" to the config and frankly, I couldn't begin to implement them.

Is somebody, anybody (not just Sidki) keeping his config up to date with the myriad of patches that have been built since Feb 13 '09?

Have I just upgraded to a config that has 3½ months of unapplied patches, or what?

I guess, in summary, I'm looking for someone (and not necessarily Sidki, he's done his bit) who can maintain an "up to date with the patches" version: sidki-config: Feb 13 2009 (patch date May 26 2009).

Assuming Sidki has reviewed the "patches" and confirms they're needed and fix the problem, it would need to be done in a proper release control manner.

I'd like to help, but I'm a tad past it and no longer have the pre-requisite skill sets, but it's pretty obvious that there are some pretty talented people out there that could (and would, if asked).

In closing, after babbling on like this, I sure hope I didn't miss the bit where it explains this is already happening and I should've investigated further.

Thanks for listening to an old man. D'oh!

Al
May. 27, 2009, 01:49 PM
i keep a "fully patched" release that i could happily .zip and upload...
by "default", 'my' version is "slightly" modified from sidki's (my out-of-box remains identical to his EXCEPT i rename all .ptxt's to .txt's, .ptron's to .cfg's, and date the file month.day.year)...

if sidki's ok with me uploading a "patched release", i'm game...
but would prefer to have sidki's go-ahead before doing so...
May. 27, 2009, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: May. 27, 2009 03:10 PM by sidki3003.)
Actually,files with renamed names/extensions are doomed to create confusion.
Also, just the updates in the "Confirmed Fixes" thread should be included.

However, i probably forgot to post a few fixes in that thread... Ahh yes, the Google Dark themes. I think they can be ported easily from the Alpha (removing leading 0 in version, replacing $TST(hCT=*html) with $TYPE(htm)). Anything else?

Moreover, i (or you, or Kye-U) could just post (in the "fixes" thread) a listing of further updates which can't be applied easily, like the recent proxjs-full.js fix for Ozo's Winamp problem. Anything else?

Once that thread is complete, if you (or someone else) could send me the modified files (ptron, js, Google CSS, ...?), i could post a regular config update without much work on my part.
May. 27, 2009, 04:41 PM
agreed, just "confirmed fixes"...

i think this idea of a "trunk release" is best implemented with the next release - a "locked" 'confirmed fixes' thread like we already have, then a second "locked" 'trunk release' thread with only one post and one download link...

the trunk release post would simply summarize the confirmed fixes thread in outline form, for example... and the download would be an "original plus fixes", no file extension edits, no renames, nothing but confirmed fixes implemented...

i can easily manage the trunk release thread, no alterations of any kind other than publicly confirmed fixes...
May. 27, 2009, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: May. 27, 2009 05:09 PM by sidki3003.)
(May. 27, 2009 04:41 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  agreed, just "confirmed fixes"...

i think this idea of a "trunk release" is best implemented with the next release - a "locked" 'confirmed fixes' thread like we already have, then a second "locked" 'trunk release' thread with only one post and one download link...

Or just unstickify the old "confirmed fixes" (b/c everything has been implemented), make a new "confirmed fixes" with just one post for now, containing a link to the update (offsite), as well as a link to the old "confirmed fixes", labeled e.g. "changes".

Quote:the trunk release post would simply summarize the confirmed fixes thread in outline form, for example... and the download would be an "original plus fixes", no file extension edits, no renames, nothing but confirmed fixes implemented...

I thought of distributing it the same way as before, as an incremental update:
http://sidki.proxfilter.net/prox-down.html

Quote:Updates (xxx, 200x) -- Updates change log
Extract into Proxomitron's home directory, preserving the zip's directory structure. No files that don't belong to this config set will be overwritten. This is *not* the complete config.

However, if you (singular and plural) prefer a complete update, that's entirely fine by me too.

"Updates change log" could be replaced by a link to the old "confirmed fixes".

Quote:i can easily manage the trunk release thread, no alterations of any kind other than publicly confirmed fixes...

Great! I for one have no overview about what required IncludeExclude changes have been posted. I just added those to the "fixes" thread which i was stumbling upon.

Could you or Kye-U also make that Google theme update complete (from the alpha)?
May. 27, 2009, 06:17 PM
(May. 27, 2009 05:07 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  Could you or Kye-U also make that Google theme update complete (from the alpha)?

sure thing...
i've already done "part" of it for my own Google theme anyway...

let me make sure i've caught everything and i'll post in an "alpha thread"...
May. 27, 2009, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: May. 27, 2009 06:26 PM by sidki3003.)
The Google filters in the alpha are fine. I mean making the alpha theme filters compatible with the stable config (little changes, see above) and posting them.