Firefox: maximizing the area for surfing
Mar. 04, 2009, 12:12 AM
Firefox: maximizing the area for surfing
The idea is using a GUI similar to the one from Google Chrome but more compact. Being really welcome to the screen of my laptop

1) If using Vista, install and restart firefox to have the tabs in the upper side: Chrome package. In XP the title bar remains with so many height

2) Install this compact theme

3) Autohiding for the status bar
-sensibility: 15 pixels
-time: 500 ms
-show when the mouse is over a link for more than 300ms
-show as floating bar

4) Autohiding for the search bar

5) Maybe you want to reduce all the menu to a button

6) Maybe an autosize for the search box

7) EzNav for taking advance of the wheel click

Tested with latest stable version of FF: 3.0.6
Note: some addons may require to disable the extensions.checkCompatibility

Now, better GUI than Google Chrome. Hope you like guys Wink
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 04, 2009, 01:37 AM
RE: Firefox: maximizing the area for surfing
screenshot would be nice Smile!
Mar. 04, 2009, 02:07 AM
Well, here is a referencing screenshot of my current firefox in the laptop. It has more addons so don't confuse with the other icons Wink

Attached File(s)
.jpg  firefox.jpg (Size: 63.04 KB / Downloads: 738)
Mar. 04, 2009, 02:22 AM
ahhh.........my combine everything in ONE bar :P

Attached File(s)
.png  myopera.PNG (Size: 116.19 KB / Downloads: 669)
Mar. 04, 2009, 02:37 AM
hehehe It's nice, but the bar of the tabs is a litle high. Neither know if the title of the window works as the address/search bar...
Mine is uglier absolutly, but win in useability/vertical pixels used :_) Remember the autohiding in status bar. Also have some styles for autohiding the menu and the navigation bar but then productivity would decrease hehehe
Mar. 06, 2009, 04:53 PM
mmm The chrome package doesn't give me good results in xp. So now, i only recommend it while using Vista. The reason is because in XP the size of the title bar remains with the same height...
Mar. 06, 2009, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't use chrome, because of the privacy concern. However SRWare Iron is the same as chrome with the privacy concern fix.
Mar. 07, 2009, 12:11 AM
Bugger, when i said "Chrome package" i was talking about the addon from the first point of my first post. But thanks for pointing about that interesting version of the browser Chrome, i will take a look Smile!)))
Mar. 07, 2009, 03:11 AM
Hi "Guyz",
If you are using the new Firefox/3.1b2 beta and want to use your favorite plugins like faster fox, downthemall, etc, . . .from older versions but they haven't been updated for the new browser, you can hack the plugins and make them work for the new browser

* (1). go download the plugin you want with I.E., if you download with fire fox, it will try to install.
* (2). open the xpi files with winrar (don't extract just veiw)
* (3). Look for the "rdf" file, copy and paste to desk top or any place to hack the file
* (4). Open the rdf file in notepad and change all the
Code:
<em:version>WHATEVER VERSION</em:version> to <em:version>3.1</em:version>
and do the same for <em:maxVersion>WHATEVER VERSION.*</em:maxVersion> to <em:maxVersion>3.1.*</em:maxVersion>
besure to keep the '*' in the <em:maxVersion>3.1.*</em:maxVersion>

*(5). Save the changes and drag the "hacked" plugin back into winrar and let winrar rewrite the rdf file.
*(6). Do not extract the file, but instead launch "Firefox", and drag the reworked plugin to the address line, hit "enter". Firefox will now open your hacked version of the plugin, and will install it! If everything goes well, your new beta version will have your favorite plugin to configure. It worked 9 out to 10 times for me.
Take care and safe surfing,
"JaK" Cool

PS: Here is a couple of reworked plugins, I had to make rar files out of them to upload them. So you need to unzip them, and drag them to the url line and hit "enter" to install them.

Attached File(s)
.rar  fasterfox.rar (Size: 115.59 KB / Downloads: 707)
.rar  showip.rar (Size: 23.89 KB / Downloads: 680)
Mar. 07, 2009, 06:58 AM
If you pull the help file out of fasterfox and change the setting yourself in about:config, firefox will be even faster. since you don't have to load fasterfox plugin Smile!
Mar. 07, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hey "Bugger",
Yelp, I agree it keeps the "plugin" slow down blues away, . . .lol!
The only plugin that I use except for the flash is the "Show-ip". It shows the Ip of the destination site in the systray and if you right click on the ip it will give you the whois info in another tab window. It also allows to copy the ip of the site to clip board. It also gives alittle other info.

Here is another firefox tuner, . ..that does all the about:config for you in two clicks or less. It's not a plugin, and doesn't run in the background. It's called "Fire-Tune", you can find it "here".
See ya later,
"JaK" Cheers