Proxomitron and MS Office Online Help
Jul. 07, 2004, 07:53 PM

I've just moved over to XP Professional from Win98, and apparently one of the default proxomitron filters is preventing the MS Office online help from working. If I bypass Proxomitron the online help works. Anybody know which of the filters is causing the problem and why?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 07, 2004, 08:38 PM

Welcome (Welcome) you 100th member you! Big Teeth

To detect which filter is causing this problem, right-click on the Proxomitron (Triangular Red/Green icon, in the System Tray), and click on Open Log Window/Log Connections.

Then open the MS Office online help and see if there are any matches in the log window.

If there are, post the filters here (right-click on them in the Edit Filters page and click on Export.).

Also post your log here, so we can figure out how to bypass the certain filter(s) on the Microsoft URL.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Visit this user's website
Jul. 07, 2004, 08:38 PM

Have no clue...
We need to know what config you are using...

edit: how 'bout that, two posts at 3:33...
Jul. 07, 2004, 10:04 PM

bkrhoad;

Also, if your captured log is more than 20 or 30 lines long, please paste it into a text file, and attach that to your message. Long log files within messages tend to cause a lot of scrolling in order to read the whole thread. Sad :o Wink :P

Thanks. Big Teeth

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jul. 09, 2004, 02:22 PM

I had no idea there was a log window. Obviously I'm not a proxomitron power user. Attached is the log session.

Cheers,
Bruce
Jul. 09, 2004, 05:02 PM

Right here in this code shows that nothing matches the beginning and is just sending information....

Code:
New Message Log Window....

+++GET 106+++
GET /search/srp.aspx?lidhelp=0409&liduser=0409&lidui=0409&app=0&svrs=0&ql=3&fqs=bogusness&qs=bogusness HTTP/1.0
X-Office-Version: 11.0.5703
User-Agent: Microsoft Office/11.0 (Windows NT 5.1; Microsoft Office Word 11.0.5703; Pro)
Host: office.microsoft.com
Pragma: no-cache
Cookie: _DetectCookies=Y; awsuserguid=guid=e71fabcf-efab-452f-a7e5-3e4ba148831d; MC1=GUID=2f7c7cc2823ef84d8c9c2bafb57180fd&HASH=c27c&LV=20046&V=3
Connection: keep-alive
Browser reload detected...

And then right here it shows that there are four filters matching it.....

Kill Pop-up Windows
Supress All JavaScript Errors
Stop Browseer Window Resizing
Restore Pop-ups After Page Loads

Code:
+++RESP 106+++
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Content-Length: 123
Content-Type: text/html
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
X-AspNet-Version: 1.1.4322
Server: Microsoft IIS
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:18:10 GMT
Match 106: Kill pop-up windows
Match 106: Suppress all JavaScript errors
Match 106: Stop browser window resizing
<end> 106: Restore pop-ups after a page loads
+++CLOSE 106+++

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Jul. 09, 2004, 06:42 PM

bkrhoad;

You've got four filters working on your connection to the Office Help site. This gives you two options, or courses of action.

Option A; you could test each filter independently to see if it's the cause of your hardship. If each one by itself doesn't knock out your connection, then you'd have to try combinations of them until you hit upon the magic formula. Lotsa work, we'll all agree. My advice: don't bother.

Instead, go with Plan B. Simply disallow the operation of all four of the filters on your Help site, and be done with it. Least amount of headache, and gets you back on line the quickest.

If you need help with configuring a filter to "disallow" operation on a certain site, just let us know. (Hint: It's in the URL Match string. [lol])

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jul. 12, 2004, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the help. I added the offending URL to the bypass blocklist, office online help is running fine now without my having to manually bypass proxomitron any time I need to use it. Guess I shoulda RTFM.

Cheers,
Bruce