Need Toggle Switch for Silverlight
Jun. 05, 2009, 09:23 AM
Need Toggle Switch for Silverlight
I like Silverlight for a few things but I hate ads playing when I go to a website. I can't go to Microsoft website now without being subjected to a big Silverlight ad which starts automatically and I can't see a way to turn it off either. It's about Bing and when it finishes another ad starts. This is on Firefox on a virtual XP machine.

On my host machine I have Opera 9.6 and 10 alpha and I can use Opera to go to Microsoft.com since Silverlight won't install on Opera. I can also uninstall it from Firefox but but the best solution is the one we have for Flash Player: a toggle switch.

Bing itself is another problem altogether but it is easier to avoid using Bing than it is to avoid Microsoft website. Plus, as web developers start using Silverlight more and more there will be more sites where Silverlight ads will play endlessly.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jun. 05, 2009, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: Jun. 05, 2009 02:45 PM by sidki3003.)
RE: Need Toggle Switch for Silverlight
I don't have Silverlight.

I think if anyone is up to writing a filter (or to extend "Toggle Media"), s/he would need at least a couple of example links to pages using Silverlight, without having to dig endlessly through Google.

So we have one such link thus far:
http://www.microsoft.com/en/us/default.aspx
Jun. 05, 2009, 01:20 PM
here's another link:
http://memorabilia.hardrock.com/

apologies for the lack of enthusiasm, but until Silverlight becomes more mainstream, i kinda don't see it worth the time to even bother with as far as toggling...

i don't have it installed, nor do i see the need to at this point...

although, having said that, MLB.com and NBA.com has hinted at using Silverlight for videos... if that happens, there will be a definite need for a toggle...

i'm not trying to put the idea down, it's a viable and needed filter...
just saying it's "back burner" for now, IMO...

keep the links coming, once we get more of them (non-MS sites), it would be a fun project to look into, i s'pose...
Jun. 05, 2009, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: Jun. 06, 2009 12:33 AM by 43unite.)
(Jun. 05, 2009 09:23 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  I like Silverlight for a few things but I hate ads playing when I go to a website. I can't go to Microsoft website now without being subjected to a big Silverlight ad which starts automatically and I can't see a way to turn it off either. It's about Bing and when it finishes another ad starts.
Adblock Plus includes these 4 items to successfully block 'Bing' ads:

bing.com##div[class^="sb_ads"]
.bing.com/fd/ls/*?*ig=
.bing.com/partner/primedns.gif
bing.com#DIV(class^=sb_ads)

Try this filter for the MS site (updated):
Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Microsoft Silverlight - 'Bing' Ad"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)www.microsoft.com/"
Limit = 2048