Youtubes new ads
May. 27, 2009, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: May. 27, 2009 12:51 PM by bugger.)
Youtubes new ads
On a related note, Neowin.net on May 21st reports that "YouTube is to run a trial of ’pre-roll’ video ads on selected content from several broadcasters starting from today. The pre-roll ads are short video ads shown before the video you requested and could be up to 30 seconds long. Advertisements will start appearing around videos from BBC Worldwide, ITN, Discovery, National Geographic and – from today – Channel 4."

source:http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2009-05-24-n47.html
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 14, 2009, 08:46 AM
RE: Youtubes new ads
I got my first example of the new ads...i don't have screen capture...but i got screen shot

Attached File(s)
.png  ads.PNG (Size: 425.8 KB / Downloads: 795)
Jul. 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
(Jul. 14, 2009 08:46 AM)bugger Wrote:  I got my first example of the new ads...i don't have screen capture...but i got screen shot

Hi bugger,
Can you tell us the url you got this ad from ? The youtube url ?
Jul. 14, 2009, 10:47 PM
The ads are random, so you might need to reload the page several times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tQfEgfXZ...=18&fmt=22
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: Dec. 03, 2009 11:23 PM by WombatFromHell.)
I'm a bit of a novice with filters for proxomitron, but the pre-roll ads on youtube annoyed me enough to make one.

I figured I should share it in case anyone might find it helpful:

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "HTML: Youtube Ad Killer"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)(www|).youtube.com/"
Bounds = "('SWF_ARGS': {\1}|swfArgs = {\1})"
Limit = 20000
Match = "*\1"ad_module": "\2",*\3"
Replace = "\1"ad_module": "",\3"

Edit: Killing 'ad_module' is no longer working reliably on user pages while using any ad filter sets. Several fixes I've attempted to swfArgs have failed. Suggestions would be helpful.
Dec. 05, 2009, 12:48 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 02, 2010 12:37 AM by WombatFromHell.)
After some experiments I came up with a better solution that seems to work for now (with the exception of Feather).

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Youtube: Remove Pre-roll Ads"
Active = TRUE
Multi = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)(\w.|)youtube.com/"
Bounds = "((('|")swf_args('|"):|var swfArgs =) {*}(;|,))"
Limit = 20000
Match = "(\# ((,|)"ad_*"|"invideo"|"instream"|"autoplay"|"prerolls"|"infringe"|"watermark"|"vq"): $AV(*)(,|)+)+ "
        "($SET(\#="ad_module": "", "instream": "false", "invideo": "false", "watermark": "", "vq": "hd720",)) \#"
Replace = "\@"

Edit: Updated again to catch a new swfArgs method in some user page videos. This version also defaults to 720p in both the user and regular video pages. If you don't want that behavior just remove the "vq" bits.
Apr. 29, 2010, 03:10 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 01, 2010 09:50 PM by WombatFromHell.)
Another update for both the user pages and the main video pages:
Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Youtube: Strip/Replace Flashvars (new-main1) [072910]"
Active = TRUE
Bounds = "("|')args("|'): {*\1(})\2($SET(c=\2,)),"
Limit = 30000
Match = "(\# (("|')(, |,)$SET(a=, ))("|')(invideo|watermark|ad(s_|_)*)("|'): ("|'|)*((",|',|,) $SET(b=", )|("|'|)}$SET(b="}))+)+\#"
Replace = "\@$GET(c)"

Name = "Youtube: Strip/Replace Flashvars (new-main2) [072910]"
Active = TRUE
Bounds = "(name=\\"flashvars\\" value=\\"|id=\\"movie_player\\" flashvars=\\")(*\\")\1"
Limit = 30000
Match = "(\# ((\&|)(autoplay|vq|invideo|ad_*))=(*\&$SET(\#=&)$SET(b=&)|*\\"$SET(a=&)$SET(b=)$SET(c=\\")))+ \#"
Replace = "\@$GET(c)"

Update (7-29-10): Youtube recently started pushing a new main page layout that uses 2 different player api's. These two filters together should kill the ads. Please mention if certain pages stop working.
Apr. 29, 2010, 05:16 AM
The above new filter don't work on this page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ95z6ywcBY&fmt=22
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:09 AM
Sorry about it breaking pages randomly. Youtube updated their player last night, and some stuff that worked on the older player doesn't work on the new one. I've just updated the main filter to hopefully prevent that on a variety of main pages.

If you spot any others feel free to point them out. Now, forcing quality on user pages doesn't work properly due to the new player. Banging Head
Apr. 30, 2010, 10:18 PM
If you put the date on it then we can keep track of it ourselves. i think the de factor is year.month.day
Oct. 15, 2010, 04:06 AM
Is this filter now broken, or is an updated version available?