IE8/shells :: Max Connections...
Jul. 15, 2009, 01:19 PM
IE8/shells :: Max Connections...
i guess my 'net connection is "fast enough" that i never even noticed this until now...

IE8, "by default", limits your connections to only two...
the "old" trick - [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings] - to increase this to 10 no longer works (at least, not "by itself")...

OLD fix:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000010
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000010

not sure if the BELOW is needed "in addition to" the above or by itself, but this is how to get your IE8 re-upped to 10 connections...
Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:0000000a

AND
Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPER1_0SERVER]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:0000000a

Note: to increase connections for your IE8 shell, replace "iexplore.exe" with the name of your actual executable, ie, "GreenBrowser.exe"...
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 15, 2009, 02:20 PM
RE: IE8/shells :: Max Connections...
Regular IE8 defaults to 6 connections per server for broadband. For dial-up it uses either 4 or 2 depending on a 1.0 vs. 1.1 web server. There's a little chart comparing IE7 vs. IE8 and some description at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...S.85).aspx

I thought alternate IE shells would use those same values, but apparently GreenBrowser does not?
Jul. 15, 2009, 04:18 PM
here's a breakdown of IE shells (i'm shelling ie8) and the number of simultaneous connections that i was observing... all are "portable" installs...

GreenBrowser would only open two...

Maxthon would only open two (2.5.1, have not up'd to 2.5.2 yet, will shortly, but i don't expect the upgrade to effect the number of connections)...

SlimBrowser was the worst and would only open ONE...

Sleipnir performed the best and would open FOUR...

i've upped all to use TEN, but the most i'm actually "seeing" at a time is SIX...
still, better than the TWO i was seeing, lol...
Jul. 15, 2009, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: Jul. 15, 2009 07:04 PM by Graycode.)
Try this: http://www.spasche.net/files/parallel_connections/

It uses client-side AJAX in conjunction with slower-than-normal responses from their server in order to judge your max connections per server.

(Jul. 15, 2009 04:18 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  i've upped all to use TEN, but the most i'm actually "seeing" at a time is SIX...
still, better than the TWO i was seeing, lol...

Given a choice of 6 vs. 10 per Server, I'd opt for the 6. But of course that's just based on my own pattern of surfing.

An important thing to consider is whether the browser sees your Proxo as being "the server" to which max connections apply. When a proxy is used, the browser may not be keeping track of what host names it's asked for. Your "10 per server" desire may actually be "10 through Proxo" regardless of whether they are for different site hosts.

In Firefox for example you can configure network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy which might be used instead of network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server when Proxo is in the mix.

Similarly, Opera seems to consider it a proxy's job to administer "max connections" to a destination and it doesn't seem to monitor or throttle what sites it's jamming into the proxy. If a proxy lets a single HTTP/1.0 server response be seen by Opera, then Opera stops talking HTTP/1.1 through the proxy for everything else. Apparently as far as Opera's concerned, the proxy IS the server.

IE8 and the shells may have their own quirks with managing proxy and/or server connections.
Jul. 31, 2009, 07:55 AM
My initial registry setting doesn't have FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER for iexplore.exe but it is 10 for IE8 and 2 for Greenbrowser and Theworld shells.

Quote:Note: to increase connections for your IE8 shell, replace "iexplore.exe" with the name of your actual executable, ie, "GreenBrowser.exe"...
I just added value for GreenBrowser.exe and TheWorld.exe and now they have 10 simultaneous connections. Smile!
Mar. 07, 2014, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: Mar. 07, 2014 12:32 PM by ProxRocks.)
My office computer was just upgraded to Win7 (64bit) and this maxconnection trick will not work in Win7 - my GreenBrowser is stuck at 4 connections Sad

Win7's own IE11 will use 12 connections, I have not tested any of my other browsers, only my beloved default go-to GreenBrowser.

Does anyone know how to increase connections in Win7?