How to setup site specific proxy ?
Oct. 18, 2009, 01:09 PM
How to setup site specific proxy ?
Hi guys,

I looked around a bit and tried to find a subject related to this, but can't seem to find one.

I want to use Tor to proxy through a specific server (in South Africa), to view videos from a South African website which is region specific and thus I can't do it direct from UK.

So how do I choose the specific server (which I can see in the servers list) to be the proxy I use instead of a random one ?

Thanks for the help.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 18, 2009, 02:50 PM
RE: How to setup site specific proxy ?
I haven't done this yet but maybe
https://www.torproject.org/faq#ChooseEntryExit Wrote:You can set preferred entry and exit nodes as well as inform Tor which nodes you do not want to use. The following options can be added to your config file "torrc" or specified on the command line:

EntryNodes $fingerprint,$fingerprint,...
A list of preferred nodes to use for the first hop in the circuit, if possible.
ExitNodes $fingerprint,$fingerprint,...
A list of preferred nodes to use for the last hop in the circuit, if possible.
ExcludeNodes $fingerprint,$fingerprint,...
A list of nodes to never use when building a circuit.
ExcludeExitNodes $fingerprint,$fingerprint,...
A list of nodes to never use when picking an exit. Nodes listed in ExcludeNodes are automatically in this list.

We recommend you do not use these -- they are intended for testing and may disappear in future versions. You get the best security that Tor can provide when you leave the route selection to Tor; overriding the entry / exit nodes can mess up your anonymity in ways we don't understand.

The EntryNodes and ExitNodes config options are treated as a request, meaning if the nodes are down or seem slow, Tor will still avoid them. You can make the option mandatory by setting StrictExitNodes 1 or StrictEntryNodes 1 -- but if you do, your Tor connections will stop working if all of the nodes you have specified become unreachable. See the Tor status pages for some nodes you might pick.

Instead of $fingerprint you can also specify a 2 letter ISO3166 country code in curly braces (for example {de}), or an ip address pattern (for example 255.254.0.0/8), or a node nickname. Make sure there are no spaces between the commas and the list items.

If you want to access a service directly through Tor's SOCKS interface (eg. using ssh via connect.c), another option is to set up an internal mapping in your configuration file using MapAddress. See the manual page for details.

HTH
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply