how to turn bypass off
May. 26, 2010, 01:11 PM
how to turn bypass off
Hi,

I'm using prox in an unusual way in as much as most of the time it's in bypass mode.

What I would like to know is if there is a way that I can turn bypass off automatically (prox enabled) based on URL, either with a list of URL's or using some kind of suffix / prefix on the URL, without having to click on the bypass button / menu to disable bypass.

The reason I have prox in bypass mode most of the time is that my ISP compresses all jpg images by default making them grainy. The reasoning behind this is to save bandwidth.
So when I wish to view a page without the images being compressed I enable prox with an outgoing header filter :

HTTP Header = Pragma: no-cache control (out)
Replacement text = no-cache

Which then makes the pages images load normally without being compressed.

any ideas?

thanks
Mark
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
May. 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
RE: how to turn bypass off
If you use that outgoing head filter only, you can put the URLs of which you want the filter to work in the URL match field, then delete all other header and page filters.
May. 27, 2010, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: May. 27, 2010 03:47 PM by JJoe.)
(May. 27, 2010 03:19 PM)whenever Wrote:  If you use that outgoing head filter only,

If not, you could bypass all addresses that are not in a list.

Adding (^$LST(jpgs)) to your Bypass list. You'd have to add the jpgs list.

You may be able to use the "Turtle Excluder Device"

Quote:Unmatching a match

You can also add "exclude" lines By prefixing a line with the '~' character. They can be used to limit what a list will match, and are only checked if a regular match is found first in the list. The list will return as true only if none of the exclude lines match. For example a list like...

#
# Another sample list
# an example of using `~` to exclude
#

*.gif
~*/gamera.gif

The first line would match anything ending in ".gif", however the second line checks to see if it also matches "/gamera.gif". Which will insure that Gamera is never caught in our list (think of it as a Turtle Excluder Device).

You would add a "?" to your Bypass list.

Code:
?
~*/gamera.gif

http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Bloc...ation.html

Another option would be to use a PAC file,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config

HTH
May. 29, 2010, 08:09 AM
Would changing the way the BypassURL was set up in default.cfg work? The way it is set up now is BypassURL = "$LST(Bypass)". If that was changed to BypassURL = "(^$LST(Allow))" would that work in reverse?
Jun. 01, 2010, 07:25 PM
(May. 29, 2010 08:09 AM)Siamesecat Wrote:  If that was changed to BypassURL = "(^$LST(Allow))" would that work in reverse?

Yes, I think it should.

The content-type header could help find images but that process might require $JUMP, $RDIR, and a tagged url.

Have fun
Jun. 05, 2010, 08:19 PM
Quote:most of the time is that my ISP compresses all jpg images by default making them grainy.
What's the name of your dastardly ISP? And... why are you unwilling (unable?) to "vote with your feet" by changing ISPs?