Load time in status bar
Mar. 06, 2011, 09:56 AM
Load time in status bar
I think this is from original Proxo not Sidki but I have always liked that Proxo shows me the load time in the status bar for each web page. With a crappy connection, I find the information helpful when I complain to my ISP.

I just learned that Fx4 will have no status bar. Can Proxo display that information in another location? I also read Pale Moon browser will retain the status bar. I'm going to try that browser and probably not get Fx4, but I was just curious about this.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 06, 2011, 12:13 PM
RE: Load time in status bar
no status bar !!! you have GOT TO BE kidding !!!

anyone that follows Secunia et alia knows that Firefox is the most "vulnerable" browser out there... sure, there is no denying that the "severity" of a 'vulnerability' varies from one browser to the next...

but the fact remains, by REMOVING the status bar, Firefox is only INTRODUCING a means whereby its userbase can NO LONGER practice "safe browsing"... i dang near ALWAYS look at my status bar when i hover over a link BEFORE clicking that link!...

without a STATUS BAR, Firefox "can" (and would not surprise me if they DO) 'route' EVERYTHING through a Mozilla-owned "tracking server"...

is that not the very "conspiracy" behind Google's Chrome/Chromium that has resulted in SRWare's Iron as an alternative to such?

so i can only "agree", use Pale Moon!...
Mar. 07, 2011, 03:06 AM
Someone will probably write an addon to put the status bar back in Fx 4. Evidently, Fx wants to be like Chrome.

Yes, I can't imagine what they are thinking of security wise as I have always had the status bar visible on every browser and I paid attention to it (besides looking at the load time). Chrome/Iron have no status bar.

I don't know why Mozilla would remove the status bar other than all the browsers now are trying to imitate Google's Chrome browser. Even Opera is doing it in some ways although they still have the status bar. Fx 4 may also remove Ask Me for cookies also in imitation of Chrome. Ease of use for uneducated computer users is the new mantra for all browsers. I was just informed of this by an Opera developer when I complained about the ridiculous changes in Opera 11 address bar and the POOR security features that replace the padlock.

Off topic: I just noticed when I started Iron and was not logged into dslreports that Proxo is not stopping gif animation there! When I am logged in there I don't see avatars but I was logged out on a dslr forum page (so I was seeing default settings for the forums look) and the avatars were animated! My first thought was that I had set Iron to a direct connection to test something and forgot to put it back to using Proxo. But it was set on using Proxo and correctly set.
Mar. 07, 2011, 11:36 AM
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=541656
There's been a lot of discussion about this. Finally in the last beta, link targets are displayed in a popup at the bottom left (a-la Chrome i think).

Quote:"Hovering over links now displays the URL at the bottom of the window rather than in the location bar"
from: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/4.0...easenotes/

I think there are various addons that try to bring back the status bar functionality, ie: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox...us-4-evar/

Mele20 Wrote:I just noticed when I started Iron and was not logged into dslreports that Proxo is not stopping gif animation there!

I've seen that behavior once in a while, but (if I remember correctly) the offending animated GIFs were always "animated PNGs". Check it out.
Mar. 07, 2011, 03:12 PM
i recall seeing animated "stuff" when NOT using my default GreenBrowser...
i can't remember if i was in Chrom(e|ium), Iron, Firefox, Pale Moon, or Opera (i do keep them all, but rarely do i ever use any of them)...

next time i bump into the "that animation is supposed to be blocked", i'll look into it further (but i am 99% positive that they were .gif's, not .png's)...
Mar. 09, 2011, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 09, 2011 07:18 AM by Mele20.)
Proxo is NOT showing web page load time in PaleMoon status bar. Sad

It is showing the information you would see there if Proxo was not being used. So, I double checked to be sure I had that filter checked for Proxo (I already knew I did because it works for Opera and I have it open now also). I also checked to make sure I had Proxo configured correctly in PaleMoon and I even opened a Proxo log window to see if it was filtering websites on PaleMoon. Everything looks correct, but I don't see the load time. UGH.

One reason I wanted to try PaleMoon was that it will not be doing away the status bar in Fx 4 but one thing I really like and want in the status bar is the page load time.

As for animation, I think only gifs are allowed at dslr for user avatars. That used to be the case and I think it still is. I'll look at the one that was animated the next time I start Iron. I stopped using an avatar there years ago for several reasons but I think they are still required to be gifs and are very small.

Edit: I think it related to Piro's Tree Style Tabs. His Tabbed Browsing Extensions for Mozilla and Firebird and then Firefox through 1.5 never caused a problem like this. I have his earlier version of Tree Style Tab on Fx 3.0 and it doesn't cause this problem. I suspect this is the problem though because I noticed when I opened a new tab while in this thread (clicked on the Status Bar Addon link) that opened a child tab under this TUOPF main tab. I saw the correct address for Addons site in the status bar. When I later clicked on the parent tab to come back here, the status bar continued to show the address for Addons site.

I'm thinking something is slightly screwed up with Tree Style Tabs and the status bar. The extension has been around since Fx 2 yet it shows as "experimental" at Addons. Piro probably doesn't care what shows in the status bar since Fx 4 will have no status bar. Ugh. I love Tree Style Tabs but I also love seeing the load time in the status bar. I'm going to disable it and see. But I have to restart PaleMoon to have it actually disabled so I will post this now.

Edit: That's not it. I still don't see the load time. I think I was seeing the load time when I installed PaleMoon...but I am not 100% sure.
Mar. 09, 2011, 07:33 AM
(Mar. 07, 2011 03:12 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  i recall seeing animated "stuff" when NOT using my default GreenBrowser...
i can't remember if i was in Chrom(e|ium), Iron, Firefox, Pale Moon, or Opera (i do keep them all, but rarely do i ever use any of them)...

next time i bump into the "that animation is supposed to be blocked", i'll look into it further (but i am 99% positive that they were .gif's, not .png's)...

On PaleMoon I am not logged in anywhere as the browser is too new. I went to Avast forums. When logged in there, I have it set so I don't see the user avatars. But being non logged in just now, I saw an animated avatar in the first thread I opened. It is a gif.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73339.0
It's the second post by Craigb.

Ugh. I wonder why Proxo isn't filtering it? I cannot tolerate gif animation. At least there, when logged in, I don't see avatars but I sure don't want to be going to other sites and seeing gif animation and not being able to do anything about it.
Mar. 09, 2011, 10:01 AM
(Mar. 09, 2011 07:33 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  On PaleMoon I am not logged in anywhere as the browser is too new. I went to Avast forums. When logged in there, I have it set so I don't see the user avatars. But being non logged in just now, I saw an animated avatar in the first thread I opened. It is a gif.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73339.0
It's the second post by Craigb.

Ugh. I wonder why Proxo isn't filtering it? I cannot tolerate gif animation. At least there, when logged in, I don't see avatars but I sure don't want to be going to other sites and seeing gif animation and not being able to do anything about it.

Most likely you're not filtering SSL. The avatar address is
Gif served from HTTPS Smile!
Mar. 10, 2011, 06:22 AM
(Mar. 06, 2011 09:56 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  I think this is from original Proxo not Sidki but I have always liked that Proxo shows me the load time in the status bar for each web page. With a crappy connection, I find the information helpful when I complain to my ISP.

I just learned that Fx4 will have no status bar. Can Proxo display that information in another location? I also read Pale Moon browser will retain the status bar. I'm going to try that browser and probably not get Fx4, but I was just curious about this.
Firefox 4 now has the display of the destination of a link near the bottom of the page. It is a temporary overlay that shows up when you move the cursor over a link. They have not removed that information, but moved it. I do not remember ever seeing a time for loading a page in the status bar from using a Prox filter, and I am using my own adaptation of the original default.cfg file.
Mar. 12, 2011, 05:36 AM
(Mar. 09, 2011 10:01 AM)dave Wrote:  Most likely you're not filtering SSL. The avatar address is
Gif served from HTTPS Smile!

Yep. You are right. I have never filtered SSL. I had no idea some gifs would be served from https! Maybe I need to start filtering SSL.
Mar. 12, 2011, 06:07 AM
(Mar. 10, 2011 06:22 AM)Siamesecat Wrote:  Firefox 4 now has the display of the destination of a link near the bottom of the page. It is a temporary overlay that shows up when you move the cursor over a link. They have not removed that information, but moved it. I do not remember ever seeing a time for loading a page in the status bar from using a Prox filter, and I am using my own adaptation of the original default.cfg file.

Load time shown in the status bar has always been in Sidki's filter sets.
[Patterns]
Name = "Status Bar: Add Page Load Timer 09.06.04 (fail) [hp] (d.1 l.3)"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TST(hCT=*html)$TST(keyword=*.i_level:[345].*)$SET(jsVarsB=$TST(jsVarsB=(*$toDo: )\1(0|$SET(3=+)([^,]+)\2) \4)\1\2\34\4)PrxFail$TST()"
Limit = 1
Match = "$STOP(This filter isn't supposed to get that far)"

I believe I recall it also being in JD5000's filters that I used 2003-2005 but I am not sure. I'm glad to know it wasn't in Scott's orginal filters. I could have looked but you have saved me the effort. Wink

I won't be using Fx 4 with such a stupid way of implementing the status bar. (Of course, I am sure there will be a extension to bring back the status bar).
Mar. 13, 2011, 07:19 AM
There is already an extension to restore the old status bar. It is called status-4-evar.