'HOSTS' file for use by paying remote sites....
Jul. 05, 2011, 10:15 PM
'HOSTS' file for use by paying remote sites....
I think I've got a goodie here that's got me stumped.

What it is:
A certain site uses BlockScript to prevent unwanted visitors. The "error" message tells you that you're a dummy for even trying to visit them. Fortunately there is a link to the main BlockScript site, so I went there....

It looks suspiciously to me like a giant HOSTS file that they are allowing other sites to access remotely. A site can use a 'free' version, or various levels of paid 'features'. What gripes me most is that they brag about how they are blocking nearly 30 MILLION hosting providers, and other stuff. My guess is that my ISP/hosting provider is probably on that list. Why, I dunno, and it doesn't matter at this point.

What else do they block? For starters, TOR exit nodes, and known proxy sites. That last is the ultimate irony - why am I scribbling this diatribe? Because the site I wanna visit is http://proxy.org in order to get a list of, you guessed it, proxies.

I dunno whether to laugh or cry.......D'oh!

I do know that it's all done with PHP, meaning that it's server-side, so I have my doubts about Proxo giving me any help here. What I wanna know is, does anyone else have any experience with this? Chances are pretty good that some of you testing that URL will get through, and others won't. Also, Google (Big Brother in ProxRocks-speak) doesn't cache anything from them, so I'm outta luck on that score.

Ideas?

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 06, 2011, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: Jul. 06, 2011 06:16 PM by dave.)
RE: 'HOSTS' file for use by paying remote sites....
I believe that proxy.org is down for everyone. See:

Down for Everyone

CentralOps

I have noticed that this site was down before and came back up after a bit.

HTH. Smile!
Jul. 08, 2011, 08:03 PM
Dave;

Both of those sites were/are informative, I wasn't aware of either of them - thanks!

But....

The part about BlockScript is not made up. If you peruse BlockScript's site, you can find examples of various error messages they project to attempted connectors - the one found on proxy.org is shown there. Sort of confirms that BlockScript does have a hand in the mess....

Whether somebody got over-zealous and went too far, blocking all and sundry, or it's just a "natural Act of Gawd", it doesn't matter. I've used proxy.org off and on for years, and I've never seen this happen before. The site's been down for more than a month now, and you'd think that someone was awake at the switch, so to speak. Makes me wonder if it's all run robotically....Sad

Or to give them some courtesy, maybe they do know, and are desparately trying to get out from under BlockScript's evil-doings... one can't really know at this point.

Again, thanks for the tip.

Oddysey

Jul. 08, 2011, 08:21 PM
When proxy.org came back up I was able to confirm that it is using blockscripts. I could not access the site thru a tor proxy. I got a page saying that blockscripts was blocking me. As to getting around the block goes, I am clueless. Sorry. Sad
Jul. 08, 2011, 09:13 PM
http://upsideout.com/

Quote:UpsideOut, Inc. is a New York based website development firm specializing in innovative privacy and security solutions for individuals and businesses worldwide. UpsideOut websites provide a rich experience of information and technology through straightforward, functional design.

We are best known for Proxify.com (the premier web-based anonymous proxy service), Socksify.com (an anonymous HTTP proxy service), and Proxy.org (a comprehensive proxy directory and discussion forum for proxy users). Here are some of the websites in our portfolio:

Quote:Proxy.org is the most trusted resource for information about anonymous web surfing and proxies. Proxy.org provides a directory which lists tens of thousands of web-based proxies as well as a discussion forum for proxy webmasters and users. Proxy.org also maintains mailings lists that reach hundreds of thousands of users.

Quote:BlockScript is security software which protects websites and empowers webmasters to stop unwanted traffic. BlockScript detects and blocks requests from all types of proxy servers and anonymity networks (such as web-based proxies, open proxies, Tor, VPN servers, etc.), hosting networks, undesirable robots and spiders, and even entire countries.
Jul. 10, 2011, 04:44 AM
Dave;

proxy.org is back up for me now, too. Thanks just the same, it's always nice to get a confirmation from another source (and not just another computer on my home network).

JJoe;

Thanks. I hadn't dug into it that far, interesting stuff when you read between the lines. I admit to being curious about why a site collecting and distributing proxy addresses would be so concerned about someone viewing their materials from a proxified connection. I guess it's best to chalk it up to "it takes all kinds", eh? Wink

Take care one and all,

Oddysey