Poll: Is Google Evil?
No, ooohhh, I just love Google.
Heck yeah, they're NSA, co-intel pro (refer to infowars.com/).
Hey, what are you, a Google Hater ! ! !
[Show Results]

The Evil Google Empire ! ! ! (For Google Haters Only)
Jul. 27, 2011, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: Jul. 27, 2011 08:28 PM by Proxology.)
Toungue The Evil Google Empire ! ! ! (For Google Haters Only)
I've been working on this for quite a while now. In fact, this may have been the original reason why I got started with the Proxomitron. At first, it seemed to be a simple word/text replacement. Then it quickly became a problem of preventing the actual link address (inside the HTML tag) from changing with the intended text/word replacement. There have been a few confused Servers over this one to be sure.
Example: (<a href="The Evil Google Empire.com/">The Evil Google Empire</a>).

After much thought, several re-workings, and a lot more code than I originally intended, I finally thought I had the perfect filter setup. Then it happened. When the readable text part of the link ("Google") was NOT present in the link, the filter would fail because it never occurred to me that it had to be present in the readable text.
Example: (<a href="Google.com/">Use Our Maps</a>).

After almost giving up and declaring defeat, I found the section where Scott had used the $SET function to act like a "if, else, then" filter. The filter now is also much simpler and much shorter than earlier attempts. So far, this has worked really well, but the Evil Google Empire may yet rule the day!

[Patterns]
Name = "The Evil Google Empire III-B"
Active = TRUE
Limit = 350
Match = "(title="*(the|)Google*" $SET(0=title="The Evil Google Empire") | "
"(<a*Google*")\0 $SET(0=\0) | "
"(the|)Google $SET(0=The Evil Google Empire))"
Replace = " \0 "

Why?
Shortly after Google got started up a decade ago, I found several troubling aspects about their code and their IP affiliates. Fact is, I've now forgotten exactly what it was way back then that set me off, but I posted the very first "The Evil Google [Empire]" (in my own thread) at a science forum about it some 10 years ago. The next day, Google put a banner over my thread asking the question (with a link to a blank page), "Is Google Evil."

To make a long story short, Google very soon after unveiled it's now famous mantra, "Don't Be Evil." So now I do what I can to "fix" that mantra that they originally derived from little ol me. Also, I checked back at that science forum last year and found that the original thread that I posted had been deleted after some 5 years (amongst literally a million+ other posts). This occurred after the forum had been sold to another company, and I have been unable to find anything about the new owners (probably a front company). Maybe they were afraid that I would sue them over a copyright claim. I don't know.

Mostly, I just built the filter for the fun of it, and I feel a little like Don Quixote attacking the large windmills. Anyway, it was an interesting experiment in learning filter development---always a positive.

p.s. And no...., I do not search using "Google."
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply