Bi-directional HOSTS file?
Aug. 12, 2004, 09:16 AM

Actually, there's a simpler explanation.

1) You find out that you're being sued by the RIAA

2) Oh noes!

3) You burn all you shared files to discs, which you put in a safe deposit box

4)
a) You open all the shared files (on your machine) and corrupt the hell out of them
B) You (thoroughly!) delete the shared files from your machine

5)
a) You go to court and claim you were spreading corrupted files to curb illegal filesharing, then gleefully present your evidence
B) You go to court and demand a jury, which will likely not find you guilty due to lack of evidence (possession is 9/10 of the law)

6) You go back to filesharing. The RIAA won't be stupid enough to sue you again

Alternatively, you can probably negotiate with the RIAA to drop the suit when you explain to them that you have a foolproof strategy to win it, and that strategy, once made public, will be used by others. I like this alternative "solution" and have used it with success myself against a few software companies. Odd isn't the only one to have beaten the legal system to a bloody pulp.

I'll try being nicer when you try being smarter.
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 12, 2004, 04:50 PM

a_s_b;
Quote:..... Odd isn't the only one to have beaten the legal system to a bloody pulp.
Any way that you can hand them their a$$ on a platter, my man, any way at all is just fine with me! Glad to see that I'm not the only one with a stiff spine. [lol]

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Aug. 12, 2004, 06:55 PM

Funny pic Opa Santa. Glad you stood up for yourself.

I don't use P2P myself but my kids use it for music only. The reason I don't use P2P and maybe Oddysey could elaborate on whether I am right or wrong is;
1. I think it is a practice ground for Skiddies.
2. Because most people rely on AV apps and simple firewalls, a coder could easily use P2P to deliver a payload to another P2P user. That payload could easily get by the heuritics of AV apps because they mainly filter for "known" and a custom trojan is an unknown. It would easily bypass a packet filter type firewall and the result could be unexplained activity on the users computer.
3. If a payload was installed on your pc it could be rather harmless to nasty, but you just don't know. Better to besafe than sorry.

I am in no way suggesting or insinuating that Oddysey ever has or ever will engage in anything stated previously.
Aug. 13, 2004, 03:55 PM

besafe;
Quote:The reason I don't use P2P and maybe Oddysey could elaborate on whether I am right or wrong is;.....
Hummm. If I read this correctly, you don't use P2P for reasons of lack of security, am I right? Thought so. Now, as to whether that is a right or wrong reason for not using P2P, I can't say. However, I do agree with your feelings, which are born out by your name. Who can argue with that, eh? Big Teeth

All of the things you mention could certainly happen, but as surely as they will come about, the White Hats will be on the scene, looking to protect the P2P users from the same kind of crap that happens in email, web browsing, etc. Same war, different battle ground. Same need to terminate little b@st@rds with extreme prejudice, different weapons.

What the P2P'ers need is a Proxo like proggie, made just for them. That would heat things up, don't you think? [maniacal laughing]

Score: P2P'ers: [lol], RIAA: Banging Head

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Aug. 18, 2004, 11:24 PM

Updated IPFilter.p2p file with:

2678527265 known IP addresses in 21874 ranges.
Aug. 20, 2004, 07:01 PM

Updated August 20th

2661757667 known IP addresses in 21849 ranges