Ground Control - We've got a problem
Mar. 15, 2004, 11:52 PM

Since yesterday I noted increasing numbers of popups and adds while surfing . So I switched my config from JD'S Advanced to Level 1 thru 6 and the same popups . I looked at the log window and nothing comes up when I refresh a page . Proxo's icon is in the sys tray and my connections are good but it seems Proxomitron is not working ! I re-installed JD'S config from scratch and the same thing . I'm in a state of shock and awe and need help desperately ! It's terrible surfing the web without my protection . [rolleyes]
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 16, 2004, 12:30 AM

Reinstall Proxo and check your IE proxy config. Scan for spyware and viruses too just in case they had something to do with it.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Mar. 16, 2004, 02:13 AM

Thanks Shea , but no success . I re-installed Proxo , checked my proxy connection in Internet Options ( 127.0.0.1 @8080 ) , ran 2 AV scans ( eTrust & F-Prot ) plus Adaware , Spybot , Trojan Hunter , Hijack This and came up clean . But , still can't run log window . Machine with Win 98se running well but no filters ! This is mind boggling !
Mar. 16, 2004, 02:28 AM

I discovered my problem ( I think ) ! I usually browse with MY IE 2 but for the last few days went back to IE 6.0 . Well the filters and log window work in My IE 2 but not in IE . My IE 2 is not my default browser . In IE all ads , banners and popups get through . It's a puzzlement !
Mar. 16, 2004, 06:13 AM

Hi "Ralph",
Try emptying the IE browser's cache. Your pages might be Un-Proxo'ed cached pages. Even if that isn't it, at least You can eliminate that as the source of the problem.
Best Wishes,
"~JaK~"=:-)
Mar. 16, 2004, 12:57 PM

Hi Jak , did that and still the same unable run Proxo in IE . Maybe , I need to do a repair on IE .
Mar. 16, 2004, 02:39 PM

I did a repair on MS Internet Explorer and still unable to run Proxomitron . I wonder if my ISP Adelphia is doing something . Anyway , I just browse with MY IE 2 .
Mar. 16, 2004, 08:06 PM

Ralph,

If you can surf successfully with Proxo and any other browser, then you know that Proxo is working correctly. It is monitoring Port 80 and outputting on some other port, usually 8080. You also know that Proxo is correctly serving it's pages on the localhost server, usually seen at 127.0.0.1.

Assuming that IE works fine without attempting to use Proxo, you have to make sure that it is set up exactly the same way as MY IE 2. If either the incoming port or the server address is wrong, you won't connect, period. These two items are the only things that can stand in your way.

By default, Proxo outputs on Port 8080 and the localhost server. If your installation of IE appears to be setup correctly (same port and server as MY IE 2), and still doesn't work, then you have been owned. :o [angry] Banging Head

Sorry 'bout that.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Mar. 16, 2004, 11:43 PM

They are set up exactly the same . Both browsers work just fine except that in IE I've got ads , popups , banners . I can set up the pages side by side with the same page and they are quite different . Fox news is clean with Proxo on MY IE 2 . Not by a long shot on IE . I've been owned ! ( Is that the same as I've been had ? ) Wink
Mar. 17, 2004, 01:28 AM

In the Lan settings for IE do you have a checkmark in Automatically detect settings? If so uncheck it and try IE with proxo. Do you have your firewall set to prevent IE from connecting through port 80?

I use the same two browsers as you with no problems.
Mar. 17, 2004, 05:10 AM

besafe;

First, Welcome to this here Forum! Glad to have you here. Pull up a console and set a spell! [lol]

Good call on that 'Automatically detect settings' checkbox. I had forgotten that it can cause strange behaviour for some configurations. Yes, Ralph, double check that box, and clear it if it's checked. That might help, or at least eliminate one more possibility from the checklist. [rolleyes]

And I hadn't really thought it through like you did - using an internal firewall to prevent access to Port 80 would be a sure-fire sign that a browser (or something) is trying to use this port instead of Proxo's output port. I like the way you think. Unfortunately for me, I only use a hardware firewall, so I tend to think a bit narrowly about things like this. Keep it up, and keep us all honest! Smile!

Ralph;

The phrase 'you've been owned' does refer to one's machine being compromised by an outside source. It is usually spoken derisively, but here at The Un-official Proxomitron Forum, we poke fun at each other with it - after all, we're all just a bunch of Cheers buddies! :P

Let us know if that Automatic .... check box thing didn't work for you, and we'll come up with another plan! Wink

Oddysey

Mar. 17, 2004, 06:20 PM

besafe ,Thanks for the advice and I second that welcome . There was no checkmark in that auto detect settings box and the my Outpost firewall is set to allow IE . Oddysey , you are great ! I have been owned , had and F--ked . I spent hours trying to figure this sucker out . Unfortunately , I had this on an image and couldn't just restore it .
Mar. 17, 2004, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Ralph why are you allowing IE access through your firewall? It doesn't need access if you go through Proxo.
Mar. 17, 2004, 11:52 PM

Ta-Da !! Fixed Proxo in IE ! Just removed IE from my firewall Outpost ! Doesn't need to be there . Thanks besafe ! Your a genius . I was about to unload Outpost .
Mar. 18, 2004, 05:46 AM

Ralph,

About to unload Outpost? :o And here we all thought we'd trained you better than that! <_<

besafe beat me to it. Outpost should only be allowing Proxo to use Port 80, all else should generate an error warning for you to ponder - "Why is Product X trying to access the Internet?"

Mind if we ask what had caused this? Was it spyware of some flavor? How did you finally root it out? Inquiring minds want to know more (and more... and more...) Big Teeth

Quote:Unfortunately , I had this on an image and couldn't just restore it .
Ummm, what was on an image, IE? And I presume you meant that you couldn't restore just that portion, right? At least I took it to mean that you're stuck with an all-or-nothing type of restore. Bummer to the max. [angry]

Why not grab the latest version of IE6 SP1 from Microsoft's site? It's a complete install, not just a bunch of upgrade stuff. Unless you're on a dial-up, that is. If that's the case, then you'll want to set aside several days for the 70 meg download - ooops! If you don't have broadband, ask a friend who's already got it if they'll make a copy for you. No copyright worries here - MS wants everybody to have it! :P

Oddysey