Google Search Page Different
Nov. 05, 2016, 08:27 AM
RE: Google Search Page Different
JJOe ... just noticed your reply. I have been clearing the cache under Tools - Privacy - Clear Data ... I just tried it again and everything is gone but the Google page is still white.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 08, 2016, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: Dec. 11, 2016 10:27 AM by Callahan.)
OK ... I may have discovered why the Google search page was no longer blue ... I sort of "stumbled" into the solution yesterday. I guess if it stays dark blue over the next two weeks, then maybe it really has been solved.

Over the last few weeks I had started seeing the dark blue page "every so often". I would go into Google search and there was the dark blue page ... but it was not 100% ... the next time the old white page would be back.

However, yesterday when doing a search on "disabling browser support for the SSL 3.0 Protocol" ... I ran a check on the older K-Meleon browser that I'm using and the SSl 3.0 Protocol still was in use. I thought I had fixed that some months back but maybe not or I had reverted back to a K-Meleon saved backup that had not been fixed.

I found a topic in Google search: Mozilla Firefox: How to Disable the SSL 3.0 Protocol ... this also works in K-Meleon.

Anyway, since yesterday the Google dark blue page seems to working again. Perhaps there is a connection with disabling SSL 3.0. Not fully certain (yet) that the problem is fixed but everything still working today.

I have the last Pale Moon XP version installed and I have since installed Firefox portable v50.0.2 ... both of those browsers always have the dark blue search page showing.

My older version of Opera v12.12 does not have the dark blue page. So the newer Pale Moon and Firefox work just fine at this point ... and maybe K-Meleon also.

*** I may just add this information about this test web site that I found out about yesterday over at the MSFN forum group ... in the WinXP thread.

My older K-Meleon browser had several fails, so I will not be using it for banking or other highly sensitive logins from now on. The Pale Moon and Firefox browsers passed OK.

Under - Older Windows NT-Family OSes - Windows XP ... there is a thread discussion going on titled: Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility Issues ... this is a small mention from that discussion.

You can go to https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html with any browser to see what security protocols, encryption ciphers, etc. your browser supports.

That's how I discovered that the K-Meleon browser was not fixed but the Pale Moon and Firefox browsers were OK.
Dec. 11, 2016, 10:26 AM
Just a final post on the Google search page when using the older K-Meleon browser version that I've been using. The dark blue page is always there again, as it once was many months ago. Since my last post from a few days ago ... the search page is always dark blue ... unless I put Proxomitron on Bypass. It always worked that way before ... uncheck Bypass and the search page is dark blue again.

The only thing that I really did, as I mentioned earlier, was to disable SSL 3.0 in Browser Configuration. I mention all this for anyone with a similar problem in the future ... it might be be related to the SSL 3.0 thing. That seems to be the norm now ... having SSL 3.0 unchecked or disabled.