Computer still crashes
Nov. 11, 2004, 10:38 PM

Hello everyone. Sadly but still having problems. Comp., has crashed about 15 times since running proxo.I had to disable it. I had posted around the mo. of October and comp ran fine for some time but started again and only when running Proxo. Even when I click on icons from quick-launch bar it crashes.It even crashes when I normally want to shut-down comp , no matter what I do first for shut-down it can crash.Is there anyone with this kind of problem? I really hate to see this program go. I can't post any details since I don't know much about comps. All my configs seem fine, I'm running the j version and my comp is WinXP. I thank you all in advance. royjrvic
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 12, 2004, 12:24 AM

Thats very odd. I don' think its a Proxo problem because no one else has posted about this ever. Do you have an antispyware and antivirsu/firewall running? It could be a virus or spyware/adware.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Nov. 12, 2004, 01:11 AM

Did you scan your pc for viruses and spyware with updated software? Once you have scanned your pc for viruses/spyware go to the windows update site and install SP2. Do you have apps running that do similar things like two antivirus apps or two software firewalls?
Nov. 12, 2004, 06:26 AM

Hi "Royjrvic",
Sorry that You are having Problems. But "Proxomitron" alone shouldn't be causing any problems like You are describing. Proxo makes no registry changes, , ,doesn't create any dll. files, . .and in fact You don't even have to uninstall it, ,You can just "delete" the folder without causing any problems. It is very likely that it's a combination of different things along with PRoxo that is causing the conflict.

Questions, . .
* What browser are You using?
*And are there any other local Proxy programs like "Proxo"that You are using?
* What type of internet connection do You have? Dial-up, Adsl, Cable, Satelite?

If You could give us some more "info", . .I would be glad to help in anyway that I could. Smile!
Take Care and I will be checking for Your Posts,
Safe-Surfin',
"JaK" =:-)
Nov. 13, 2004, 05:27 AM

Hello again:SHea I have firewall and anti-virus running and updated,sorry. I have checked for virus and trojans (with tds-3) and found nothing. Besafe I don't have sp2 YET, wanted to hang on a little bit more and see what happens.I don't have two of the same running. Jak I'm using MyIE2 but I have tried it with regular IE and Opera and still crashed. I was using Jap but not anymore because of same problem. I have used Proxo alone with no other proxy and it still happens,also used System Restore to where I didn't have Proxo installled yet. I have AVG-spybot-adaware-giant antispyware-A2-spywareblaster etc. but have shut them off and crashes still happen. I use dial-up. It seems to be working fine for now, I hope it continues.Question: What is the proper way to shut comp off with Proxo running? I have tried different steps and have crashed. It appears I'm in a big mess but I know we'll get it running. Thanks everyone.royjrvic P.S. I'll keep an eye out for programs runnning and see if they're causing the problems.
Nov. 13, 2004, 06:02 AM

royjrvic;

Dinars to dunkies that you've been owned, most likely by CoolWebSearch. You can shut down your computer anyway you like, Proxo won't make any bit of difference. It has no "registered" programs within the main operating system, so it can't make a difference in how the OS goes about its business.

Think of it like this: If Proxo has been around for 5 years or more, and if over a half a million people are using it without any problems, then why is your machine acting so screwed up?? See my first statement above.

Sorry if that was harsh, but I've got a friend who just went through the same headache. He blamed me because I had showed him Proxo just about 4 days before the crap-storm started. He d/l'd and installed it himself, but you can guess who got the flak when the fur first started flying. I came over, and before I did anything else, I asked if his son had d/l'd anything lately. "Yeah, probably" was the answer. Sure enough, one look told me that it was loaded with shiesse-ware, and CWS was all over his rig like paparazzi on Britney.

It wasn't a pretty sight, I can guarantee you. Cry

If you can get to the web at all, surf to this site: SilentRunner's CWS Removal Procedures. Alternatively, you can use your favorite search engine to find other tools of like nature. If you find that you're not infected with CWS, then you might try some of their other links, they are very helpful.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Nov. 13, 2004, 03:55 PM

Quote:loaded with shiesse-ware, and CWS was all over his rig like paparazzi on Britney.
Big Teeth Hail

SilentRunner's site is good.

Also these are good to have:

Download and run CleanUp! as the Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there.
http://cleanup.stevengould.org/
Then reboot to let it clean out what it found.

By the way, in order to improve Internet Explorer (IE) performance the Temporary(TIF)should be cleaned out periodically.
Also, it is a good idea to limit the size of the TIF to 200MB for performance sake.
In IE go to Tools then Internet Options then Settings and move the slider down to 200MB.

Download and install WinPatrol.
http://www.winpatrol.com

Browser settings for increased security:
http://bshagnasty.home.att.net/browsersettings.htm

Install IE-SPYAD then run the install.bat in the ie-spyad folder and SpywareBlaster then keep them up to date as today's Internet is full of nasty infections.
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/res...tm#IESPYAD
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

<b>Current Security application updates </b><a href='http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?&act=calendar' target='_blank'>Calendar of Updates</a>
Nov. 13, 2004, 09:03 PM

Oddysey before I delete anything I thought I'll ask first: I can't find anything that could be threatning except for this one and reads like this:HKLM\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\\winlogon\notify\infection warning! "igfxcui\DLLName = igfxsrvc.dll This came from the Silent Runners program. Could this be part of my problem? Thanks everyone.royjrvic
Nov. 14, 2004, 12:31 AM

roy;

That's an Intel file, made for certain motherboards with their chipsets. I believe it's the standard VGA mode driver, but I could be wrong.

Most websites that concern themselves over this kind of thing say that this is not a harmful file, and that if you are runnning an Intel motherboard, you probably should leave it in there. Wink

Oddysey

Nov. 14, 2004, 01:29 AM

Thanks you guys. Oddysey I ran Silent Runner then CWS Shield Dropper.vbs and apparently it must have cleared something. I have run comp for close to three hours with proxo running. I even ran it with a proxy and hasn't crashed. I think this will do it. Thanks YoKenny I'll try that cleanup to maintain it clean. Seems like I have read your name in another place. Thanks again you quys. If it breaks again you all will be the first to know...just kidding...royjrvic. PS. If I had some kind of CWS variant why couldn't any of those free scans pick it up???
Nov. 14, 2004, 08:53 AM

roy;

Congrats on getting things back to normal (or what passes for it, on your desktop!).

Quote:PS. If I had some kind of CWS variant why couldn't any of those free scans pick it up???
Good question. One answer might be, some of the things done by CWS are generic - they are also done by other foul-ware products. You may have had one of them on your machine, and because they used the same trick, cleaning up for CWS also cleaned up for them, and Presto!, your machine is good to go.

Still, generic tricks are well known, and your scanners should have raised some kind of alarm.

Quote:Thanks YoKenny...... Seems like I have read your name in another place.
YoKenny is active in several other places, but for us, he is best known for assisting HPGuru in assembing and distributing a most excellent HOSTS file. You can find it here: HPGuru's HOSTS File - Support Site. Additionally, YoKenny's active at ComputerCops, DSLReports, and others of like ilk. Small wonder you've seen his name 'round the 'net! Big Teeth

Oddysey

Nov. 14, 2004, 07:16 PM

If you really want to kill a CWS infection, I would reccommend CWShredder over any of those scripts. It is made by Merijn Bellekom, but was recently sold to InterMute for integration into their SpySubtract Pro software. Below is the link to download it. Save it to the desktop and run it. It goes down a list and checks for many different varients of CWS. If it finds one it will say "REMOVED" next to the name of the varient.

Download

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Nov. 15, 2004, 03:00 AM

Shea;

Thanks for that link - I had somehow misplaced it, and couldn't find it as soon as I wanted, in order to throw Roy a lifeline. B)

Oddysey