Setting up Tor with Freecap and Proxomitron
Oct. 18, 2005, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: Oct. 18, 2005 11:34 PM by Kye-U.)
Setting up Tor with Freecap and Proxomitron
Guide to Setting up Tor with Freecap and Proxomitron

This setup makes it so that Freecap will automatically load on startup and will also automatically load up Proxomitron socksified.

You'll need Tor, Freecap, and Proxomitron.

Freecap is basically a free version of Sockscap (It's legal). How this setup works is that Freecap starts Proxomitron but routes all its connections through a defined SOCKS 4/5 or HTTP proxy.

1) Setting up Proxomitron

Ensure the 'Use a Remote Proxy' box is unticked. (Yes, this is all for Proxomitron Eyes Closed Smile)

2) Setting up Freecap

I have created a graphical walkthrough. Download the "freecap_setup_eng.exe" file from this link and install it.

[Image: Freecap1.png]
Open Freecap and click on "File", then "New application".

[Image: Freecap2.png]
Type in anything under "Profile Name", click on "Browse" and select "Proxomitron.exe". Tick "Run program at Freecap startup". Then click on "OK" to add it.

[Image: Freecap3.png]
You will see Proxomitron has been added! Now, click on "File", then "Settings".

[Image: Freecap4.png]
**Use exact settings in image, then click on "Apply"**

[Image: Freecap5.png]
**Not important**

[Image: Freecap6.png]
If you have a router that has a web interface for you to configure it, add the IP of your router here to prevent it from being loaded through Tor.

[Image: Freecap7.png]
**Use exact settings in image**

[Image: Freecap8.png]
**Not important**, click on "OK"

[Image: Freecap9.png]
Right-click on your Proxomitron entry, and select "Run" to start Proxomitron!

3) Using the three altogether

For the browser of your choice, set the HTTP (or HTTPS as well) Proxy Server as:

Server: 127.0.0.1
Port: 8080

As you noticed, this is the default setting for Proxomitron. (If you have set Proxomitron to use a different port, then change as needed).

Start up Tor, and Freecap, and go to a webpage, Torified Eyes Closed Smile

Making Tor a Hidden Service [For Windows 2000/XP]

I have written a small tool in NSIS in order to make Tor a hidden service.

Download this file.

Note, you'll have to restart your computer after to have it working, and you MUST have installed Tor in its default location, C:\Program Files\Tor

Post-Installation Note

While having your connections routed through the Tor network, you WILL notice some decrease in your download speeds of pages, files, etc.
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 18, 2005, 10:32 PM

Kye-U , very nicely done . But, it doesn't work ! I followed your guidance exactly and I am not " Torified " as I am with Privoxy .
Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 18, 2005, 11:35 PM

Very strange...

Hmm...

Try going to this site and see if your IP is being hidden:

http://www.samair.ru/proxy/proxychecker/results.htm
Oct. 18, 2005, 11:48 PM

Kye-u , as usual I did not log in with my guest post above ; I did try several proxy checker sites and they all showed my address . There's something I'm missing but I'll be damned if I know what it is .
Oct. 18, 2005, 11:50 PM

Try going into Freecap, Settings, and Proxy Chain. Make sure the host is "127.0.0.1:9050" and "Socks 4". Otherwise, I'm stumped Sad
Oct. 22, 2005, 07:06 AM
Slight amendment
I followed your guide - I followed it verbatim, and it didnt work. I did try it with sockscap in lieu of freecap and it worked just as youd described.
Oct. 22, 2005, 02:41 PM

chrome_waves wrote :
Quote:I followed your guide - I followed it verbatim, and it didn't work. I did try it with sockscap in lieu of freecap and it worked just as you described.
I did exactly the same thing but it still doesn't work for me . I must not have my internet connection settings set correctly . I'll fiddle with it some more . Tor is not showing any activity and seems to work only with Privoxy .
Oct. 24, 2005, 08:46 PM
guide
I tried it again with freecap instead of sockscap (because I think freecap is a nicer program) and it did work, but i changed one setting - instead of local then remote, i ticked remote - then it worked as per the guide. try that ralph Smile!
Oct. 24, 2005, 08:51 PM
Re: guide
chrome_waves Wrote:...but i changed one setting - instead of local then remote, i ticked remote - then it worked as per the guide. try that ralph Smile!

Interesting....hrmm...
Oct. 25, 2005, 01:18 AM

chrome_waves wrote :
Quote:i changed one setting - instead of local then remote, i ticked remote - then it worked as per the guide. try that ralph
Thanks guys but it still only works with Privoxy . Banging Head
Oct. 25, 2005, 04:19 AM
guide
ralph whats your configuration? what works for one should work for another
Oct. 25, 2005, 12:54 PM

chrome_waves wrote :
Quote:
ralph whats your configuration? what works for one should work for another
I am on Win98 se with all the latest updates using Sidke's latest config . Motorola modem>Netgear router > IBM pc . I use IE 6 or Maxthon to browse . No software firewall . F-Prot is my viral scanner . Tor works with Privoxy although very slow . I followed Kye-U 's and your guidance verbatim and I can't get " Torified " . No activity in Tor with FreeCap . Thanks for your help .
Oct. 25, 2005, 10:06 PM
Guide
For one thing, you need to scrap ie6, you must be like the last person using it. Go for opera browser instead, its way better and much more secure. And you're running proxomitron as well? Running tor with proxomitron is way faster than with privoxy, i tried it. Do you have the tor system tray console? Its a little system tray app that lets you get rid of that dos box and make some setting changes. Anyways, it seems fairly easy - install tor , then with freecap setup the socks server to use tor ( 127.0.0.1:9050 ) , add proxomitron to the app list in freecap. Lastly, with the OPERA browser, set the proxy to use proxomitron ( localhost :8080 ). You'll have tor anonymizing you, proxomitron filtering your browsing nicely, and the awesomely secure opera browser Smile!
Oct. 27, 2005, 02:02 AM

chrome_waves , thanks for your advice . I have used most of the other browsers but always seem to come back to IE . I tried Opera a couple of years ago and will give it another look . If my memory serves me right , one of the other members of the forum did a poll a while back and IE was still the most used browser . I am not using Tor in my system tray since I want to use it occasionally and didn't want it loading on boot up . The problem I was having was slow speed using Tor , Privoxy , and Proxomitron ; I was hoping to FreeCap would work better than Privoxy but that's just not happening . Thanks again for your guidance .
Oct. 27, 2005, 09:29 AM
guide
Ralph, yes I do believe most users still run internet explorer, and that's why most all the security flaws etc are exploited in it. Tell you what, have a read here: http://www.searchlores.org/tuttiope.htm
Let me know what you think after doing a little reading there. And yeah, running proxomitron with freecap and tor is faster than with privoxy. Im waiting for your response Smile!