Proxomitron reduces RWIN to 32768
Sep. 29, 2008, 04:29 PM
RE: Proxomitron reduces RWIN to 32768
PR;
(Sep. 29, 2008 10:25 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  that doesn't prevent me from seeing Sir Spam-a-Lot posts from GUEST giving me a GREEN "unread posts" triangle on the front page...

OK, that's true, and I'll leave it up to you to devise a filter to make that go away, shouldn't be too hard, eh? Whistling

Seriously, I sometimes agree with you, the number of surf-by postings is increasing, no doubt about it. (A quick look at my logs shows that I delete something about one in three times I sign on... sometimes more, sometimes less.) And I'd like to know that I'm holding converse with someone with a history, not just a person who's forgotten to log in, that'd be nice too.

So let's take it up with The Fearless Leader. Hail

Kye-u, there was a time when non-members couldn't do more than read the Forums, they couldn't post the kind of pollution that we're starting to see again. I'm not sure what changed your mind, and I suppose it doesn't really matter, what counts is that while there are fewer members posting these days (whazzat mean, that we're finally getting the hang of how to use Proxo? Whistling), I'm pretty certain that the core group is still signing in regularly and reading the latest postings, aren't they? And I'm equally certain that PR and I aren't the only ones who are disheartened by the irrelevent junk.

I think ProxRock's solution is OK, and perhaps even good. On the initial page, let those who wish to remain anonymous do so, but they still have to use a password for the Guest account. That password could change daily (or even more often) via a php script, I'm sure. In fact, now that I think of it, why not use a captcha, I think that'd be do-able, don't you?

This would get rid of the jokers, but let the nameless ones with legitimate questions get in and ask what they need, then they can sit back and watch the answers roll in. If they need to participate further, they can just read the day's password from the initial page, and go to it. Should be easy for them, no? Suspicious

What sayest thou, O Grand Poobah? Drool

An additional word to Guests: The above is intended for those who have a question, not for those who've got answers. If you're "Proxo-minded", then you should be a member of this community, and dare I say it, you should be proud to be building a history of helping others. Fake all the registration info if you wish, but just let us get a handle on who we see is repeatedly helping others, that's all we ask. Please?? Thanks! Smile!

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 30, 2008, 10:12 AM
(Sep. 29, 2008 04:29 PM)Oddysey Wrote:  So let's take it up with The Fearless Leader. Hail

er, i'm not so sure he'll even "catch" this converso...
he's not around every day, you know, and will he read EVERYTHING that shows a "green triangle" when he DOES stop by?
Sep. 30, 2008, 05:54 PM
I try to lurk around daily to skim all new posts, but "life happens" occasionally and I am unable to go through all new posts.

Yes, I've noticed that there has been a slight "surge" in Guest spam posts recently, and ProxRocks' suggestions does sound good. I'll have to find a way to prevent the "Guest" account from being able to change its own password; that's the only snag with it as far as I can tell.

I understand the need for anonymity on the Internet, but I also believe that this anonymity shouldn't be abused, so ProxRocks' suggestion is an excellent compromise.
I plan to have this issue resolved in the coming days.

Thanks Wink
Visit this user's website
Sep. 30, 2008, 06:53 PM
ProxRocks;
(Sep. 30, 2008 10:12 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  
(Sep. 29, 2008 04:29 PM)Oddysey Wrote:  So let's take it up with The Fearless Leader. Hail

er, i'm not so sure he'll even "catch" this converso...
he's not around every day, you know, and will he read EVERYTHING that shows a "green triangle" when he DOES stop by?
That was funny, considering the time you logged in to write that! Big Teeth

And Kye-u, thanks! I knew we could count on you! Hail Cheers

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Sep. 30, 2008, 07:18 PM
yes, many thanks for looking into it, Kye-U...
(and wow! i came up with a good idea for once, lol...)

hmmm, i thought i had the Peabody Way-Back Machine turned off when i wrote that... Smile!
Oct. 09, 2008, 12:22 AM
I can't seem to find a way to lock down the "Guest" account so that the password can't be changed/reset Sad

I guess if the issue inflates in proportion, I'll just disable Guest posting capabilities altogether. It's a privilege I'm offering to the Internet community, and if it's abused, it'll be taken away.
Visit this user's website
Oct. 14, 2008, 03:16 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/153928422/An....Naked.rar
Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 14, 2008, 04:01 PM
ARGHH!!!
Oct. 14, 2008, 07:08 PM