Firefox, Proxomitron and TreeWalk
Nov. 30, 2005, 01:28 PM
Firefox, Proxomitron and TreeWalk
Hi !

I am using Firefox along with Proxomitron. Recently, I tried using TreeWalk, a good and free DNS server for my WinXP machine.

1. I disabled DNS Client service in WinXP and started Treewalk DNS server. However, I found, the browsing speed slowed down.
2. I bypassed Proxomitron and started browsing and found the browsing speed to be good again.

My problem is, how to use Proxomitron alongwith TreeWalk and still attain the regular good speeds.

Can anyone suggest a specific filter which can take care of this?

Thanks
Garcot
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 26, 2006, 05:14 AM

Hi "Garcot",
One thing that You might try since You are using the FireFox Browser is the "FasterFox" plugin for the browser. It works really well for me.

Here's a must for "XP" users. A couple of registry hacks. "Click Here" Manage the Reserved QoS Bandwidth & Manage the QoS Packet Queuing.

I've tried the personal dns server also, but ran into problems with running it and Proxo together. In the "ReadMe" txt on the "treewalker" it says that if You are using a localproxy in order to get the full benefit of the "Treewalker" dns server You have to disable the local proxy, . . namely "Proxo".

I had to uninstall "Treewalker" when it actually was preventing me from connecting to my ISP. Another problem was that even when using it, it still would have to query My ISP's dns server for at least one "hit" for every URL.

Here is what that works best for Me. I use "OutPost" firewall & it has a configurable "DNS Cache" feature built into it. Once that I type in a URL, the isp's dns is used to resolve the IP, then it's "Cached" by the Outpost firewall. It's faster, and I don't have to be concerned with running another "server" on my machine, and also my machine always uses the "Cached" dns and does NOT query my ISP's dns server again until the Cached Dns "expires", of which I set in the Firewall.

Later,
"Good_to_be_back_JAK"

Ps. Thankz "HP" for the email. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 26, 2006, 06:27 AM

Welcome back Jak! If you're experiencing log-in problems, feel free to let me know! I will reset your password and E-Mail the new password to you, if you have forgotten it Wink
Visit this user's website
Jan. 26, 2006, 07:38 AM

Thankx "Kye-u"
Later,
"JaK" Cool
Jan. 28, 2006, 10:31 AM

Good to see you Jak! I never got a response to that email so I thought you fell off the net. My hotmail spam settings (which are at the highest setting = all unknown senders go to the bulk mail) must have snagged it.

Get hpHOSTS!
Jan. 28, 2006, 02:28 PM

It's great to see you back , Jak ! Cheers
Aug. 07, 2007, 06:54 AM
RE: Firefox, Proxomitron and TreeWalk
Hi "Guyz",

If You are having trouble with getting "Treewalk" personal dns server to work with "opendns" servers You can "edit" the treewalk config file.

WinXP: Start->All Programs->Treewalk->Config->"Edit Config File"
Now in the Treewalk configuration file look for the item
//forwarder first
It probably will look something like this
Code:
//  forward first;
//    forwarders { somekind of Ip; somekind of ip; };

First remove the "//" in front of "Forwarders" only.
Now change the "somekind of Ips" to the Opendns's Dns server IPs in the brackets.
It should look like this:
Code:
//  forward first;
    forwarders { 208.67.222.222; 208.67.220.220; };

Save the changes and close the config file.
Now restart "Treewalk",
Then go Here to check and see if Your system is using Opendns. The page will tell You if Your Treewalk Hack worked or not. If not check and see that You added the code correctly and if so You might have to reboot inorder for the changes to take place.

If You are not familiar with Opendns and/or haven't set Your system up already to use Opendns, You can click Here for more information.

Take Care and have a great and wonderful day,
"JaK"