Run Proxo as a Service
Feb. 13, 2006, 05:48 AM
Run Proxo as a Service
Hi "Guyz",
I think that this subject has be covered several years ago, so I hope that I'm not reHashing a "dead horse". But with that said, I found an an old archive of firedaemon lite (it's freeware) that can run just about any file as a "service". I tried this with Proxo and I'm very happy with the results.

"Click here"

Please let me know how it turns out,
Later,
"Jak"
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Feb. 13, 2006, 12:52 PM

Hey "Guyz",
I have run into one "Glitch-in-the-Mix", if You run "Proxo" as a service the "bat" file that clears "Jakz Lists" & "clean cookies" on demand, doesn't work on "demand". It only works when You reboot.
However, I believe the "Proxo" works much better when run as a service. I'm going to work on this when I get a moment to spare. Smile!
Later,
"JaK"
Feb. 14, 2006, 04:55 PM

Good to see you back here Jak! Cool

I used to be one of those to advocate running Proxo as a service, mainly so it would be available to all the users on a network without anyone being logged in to the server. I have since changed my mind. The reason is that since Proxo is no longer supported any successful exploit of an unpatched Proxo vulnerability could result in ones system being completely compromised if Proxo is running as a service with the rights of the SYSTEM. Since any discovered vulnerabilities aren't likely to be patched, the best way to avoid that is to keep Proxo in userland running under a limited account.

Get hpHOSTS!
Feb. 14, 2006, 05:29 PM

Hey "Hp",
Great to be back! Good Point to consider, . . .Thankz for the info. My Good Friend! Smile!
Later,
"JaK"
Oct. 27, 2006, 12:58 AM
RE: Run Proxo as a Service
You might be interested to know that it has always been possible to run nearly any program as a service without an third party code (something I did not myself know until about 2 months ago).

All you need are two little programs from Microsoft called SrvAny and InstSrv (For XP I found them in the Server 2003 Resource Toolkit), and then have a read of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

There is a guide on installing iOpus as a service (http://www.iopus.com/guides/srvany.htm), but replace "iOpus" with "Proxomitron" and its nearly perfect. Of high importance is the little bit at the bottom of that page that says:
Quote:"Due to a restriction enforced by Windows on services, a service program can either be interactive (have a Console, read keyboard input etc) or have network access (but not both at the same time). "

And it shows you how to fix it although in a very vague sense. Basically once the service is created correctly (ie you can see it in the services.msc window), bring up the properties, go to the "Log On" tab and select the "Allow service to interact with desktop" option as it shows in the picture.

I currently have proxomitron running as a service, set to Automatic. But you can essentially have nearly any app you want running as a service like this.

Have a play, and have fun.