free AV
Sep. 07, 2006, 12:55 AM
free AV
Been trying out http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivir...e_info.adp It is by AOL but is Kaspersky, seems pretty light on the pc so far.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 07, 2006, 01:38 PM
RE: free AV
except it seems to "require" an e-mail address to "activate"...

unless there are "alternative" means to 'activate', then I guess I shall 'pass this one by'...

yes, I have a "throw-away" e-mail account (SEVEN of them)...
but nonetheless, all are down to NO spam of ANY kind (well, one keeps getting &hit from Circuit City)...
Sep. 07, 2006, 09:02 PM
ProxRocks , I've used Sneakmail for these sites and it seems to work great . Never had a spammer when using it .
Sep. 08, 2006, 01:27 AM
below is a link as to the performance of this and a few other AV's.

http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2006/09/04/...tivirus-is
Oct. 14, 2006, 05:09 AM
When I first saw subject title, I thought you were talking about http://www.free-av.com Smile!
This is the free AV program I have been using these past few months (years?). I was happy to see that AOL offers a free AV program based on the kaspersky engine (IMO always has been the best). I use Avira AntiVir Classic from http://www.free-av.com as my second AV program. I have disabled the loading of the resident scanner with "Startup Control Panel" from http://www.mlin.net. Before I run something new, I check it with my primary AV, then disable its resident scanner and scan the file with AntiVir Classic. The other thing I like about AntiVir Classic is that it has heuristics and can also detect "joker" programs and other annoyances, although you need to enable this in "options". Once it found a backdoor that Kaspersky could not find, so I like it. Also, you can still manually download the virus database (http://www.avira.com/en/support/vdf_update.html) and you don't need to give your e-mail.
No I don't work for Avira Smile!
Oct. 16, 2006, 12:08 AM
I had been using Antivir for a long time and always recommended it; but the newest versions are continually using bandwidth if you have them running. I like the fact that you use several AV apps; a very good idea. I'll probably go back to using AntiVir again; I tend to always be trying out different AV and firewall apps.
Oct. 17, 2006, 11:35 PM
Hi all!

JJJUUUSSTT!!! BRRROOOOWSSIINGG!!

Antivar is a great free AV in most tests it comes out as the best freebie in this category. I use it as back up to my main AV the only annoying thing is the comlplete program renewal every so often and the persistant guard which I have disabled but great otherwise. Though it is subject to a few false positives every now and then so check carefully!

The engine used in the AOL/Kaspersky is an older version of the present Kaspersky I think two behind and has been known to slow some connections down but still better than most.

SSEEE YYEERRR!!
Oct. 18, 2006, 07:36 AM
ProxRocks Wrote:except it seems to "require" an e-mail address to "activate"...

unless there are "alternative" means to 'activate', then I guess I shall 'pass this one by'...
I use Antivir, but I do not remember having to register it. There is no mention of any personal info in the Help About.
Oct. 21, 2006, 02:41 AM
Siamesecat Wrote:
ProxRocks Wrote:except it seems to "require" an e-mail address to "activate"...

I use Antivir, but I do not remember having to register it. There is no mention of any personal info in the Help About.

If you look at the link I originally posted; it does say antivir, but it actually is for activevirusshield. It is the one that needs an e-mail address, AntiVir still doesn't.
Oct. 21, 2006, 06:27 AM
besafe Wrote:I had been using Antivir for a long time and always recommended it; but the newest versions are continually using bandwidth if you have them running. I like the fact that you use several AV apps; a very good idea. I'll probably go back to using AntiVir again; I tend to always be trying out different AV and firewall apps.
What do you mean by "continually using bandwidth"? I have been using Antivir for over a year, and it does not access the internet unless I click "Start update" in the popup menu. I did block Notifier with my firewall, because I thought it a bit of a nuisance.
Oct. 22, 2006, 02:38 AM
Siamesecat Wrote:
besafe Wrote:I had been using Antivir for a long time and always recommended it; but the newest versions are continually using bandwidth if you have them running. I like the fact that you use several AV apps; a very good idea. I'll probably go back to using AntiVir again; I tend to always be trying out different AV and firewall apps.
What do you mean by "continually using bandwidth"? I have been using Antivir for over a year, and it does not access the internet unless I click "Start update" in the popup menu. I did block Notifier with my firewall, because I thought it a bit of a nuisance.

It continually uses bandwidth. I reinstalled it and took a couple of snapshots. I took the 3 shots over a 5 minute period.

Attached File(s)
.gif  antivir.gif (Size: 7.96 KB / Downloads: 658)
.gif  antivir2.gif (Size: 7.75 KB / Downloads: 679)
.gif  antivir3.gif (Size: 7.5 KB / Downloads: 681)
Oct. 22, 2006, 06:18 AM
There is more than one component to Antivir. The different components are talking to one another locally. There are many files in Windows which communicate with each other via the loopback address, not just Antivir.
Oct. 22, 2006, 03:23 PM
Siamesecat Wrote:There is more than one component to Antivir. The different components are talking to one another locally. There are many files in Windows which communicate with each other via the loopback address, not just Antivir.

Guess I'm getting too paranoid in my old age. Firewalls like to pick up the transmissions from AntiVir, some showing it as activity that looks like it is accessing the net.