Creating "Portable" Apps...
Jul. 31, 2007, 07:09 PM
Creating "Portable" Apps...
one of my many loves for Proxo and GreenBrowser/Opera@USB/(cough, Portable Firefox) [and Reach-a-Mail as opposed to Portable Thunderbird] is that they are and always have been PORTABLE...

i've been recently more and more "indebted" to being able to "carry" EVERYTHING pertaining to my computing needs WITH ME and use "where ever"...

thanks to an app called Thinstall, there are "portable" versions of Microsoft Office (2003 and 2007) and AutoCAD (2006), to name a few i've seen, floating around... i'm not here to debate the licensing of said Thinstall'ed versions of Office and AutoCAD (for one, our company has paid for the "real" licenses anyway, but turning the app into a portable one is for the people of U3 to debate, not i, lol)...

anyway, i'm not looking for Office or AutoCAD, or even Thinstall for that matter...

but i have stumbled into some rather quaint "portable" goodies that i'd thought i'd share (i'll leave the rest to Google [or the search engine of your choice])...
1) JauntePE
2) Registry Rapper
3) PortaLaunch
4) X-Launcher

Note that all of these require a LEGIT version of the program ALREADY installed on your system in order for you to "port" the program into a "portable" version...

I'm looking for other progies that will do the same...

Does anyone know of any others?
Thanks in advance...
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 04, 2007, 05:06 PM
RE: Creating "Portable" Apps...
i try to use reg rapper but it cn=ant work
Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 12, 2008, 02:55 AM
RE: Creating "Portable" Apps...
Personally, vs Thinstall which is cool - not quite as portable, but Altiris/Symantec SVS is quite the tool for home users as you can get a free license, and pretty much package things up to work on any PC that has the client installed. Their Juice site does talk about more portable stuff
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply