Red Sheriff
Sep. 23, 2007, 05:51 AM
Red Sheriff
Wanted to pitch-in.

Red Sheriff tracking is a little nasty and you can read all about it if you Google. You might be able to view their site if your settings are not too high; otherwise they'll deny you access. (http://www.redsheriff.com)

If you're in need of filters, here are some from Bill Web
source: http://cexx.org/sheriff.cfg

[Patterns]

Name = "Remove imrworldwide 'Sheriff' Web Bugs"
Active = TRUE
Bounds = "<noscript*</noscript>"
Limit = 512
Match = "*imrworldwide*"
Replace = "<font size="1">[Sheriff hog-tied]</font>"

Name = "Remove imrworldwide 'Sheriff' Javascripts"
Active = TRUE
Bounds = "<script*</script>"
Limit = 5000
Match = "*measure.class*|*imrworldwide*"

Name = "Remove imrworldwide 'Sheriff' Applets"
Active = TRUE
Bounds = "<applet*</applet>"
Limit = 2048
Match = "*measure.class*|*imrworldwide*"

They were created back in 2002 but they should still work. Does anyone have more current ones or others that would compliment these?
Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 23, 2007, 06:24 PM
RE: Red Sheriff
This is what I use - kinda combines the ones that you posted:

Code:
Name = "Block RedSheriff"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)|$TYPE(js)"
Bounds = "$NEST(<(script|noscript|applet),</(script|noscript|applet)>)"
Limit = 4096
Match = "*(imrworldwide|red(sheriff|measure)|netrating|nielsen|(measure|sleepthread).class|scmeasure)*"
Replace = "<!-- RedSheriff blocked -->$SET(script=)"

See this for more info:
http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=114456

22 December 2003
NetRatings, Inc., the global standard for Internet audience measurement and analysis, today announced that it has acquired a majority interest in RedSheriff, a global leader in site-centric-based Internet audience measurement. The transaction extends Nielsen//NetRatings' leadership in the media and market research sector and positions the company to satisfy industry demand for integrated panel-centric and site-centric services for Internet audience measurement solutions.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 23, 2007, 09:02 PM
43unite Wrote:This is what I use - kinda combines the ones that you posted:

Code:
Name = "Block RedSheriff"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)|$TYPE(js)"
Bounds = "$NEST(<(script|noscript|applet),</(script|noscript|applet)>)"
Limit = 4096
Match = "*(imrworldwide|red(sheriff|measure)|netrating|nielsen|(measure|sleepthread).class|scmeasure)*"
Replace = "<!-- RedSheriff blocked -->$SET(script=)"

Hi 43unite,

You mentioned that it *kind of* combines the ones I posted. I'm not good with creating filters, and the above code is greek to me. LOL Is there a way to combine all of them into one, to slimline the default.cfg a little?

Thanks for the url info, it was a good read.

SeaLily
Sep. 24, 2007, 02:09 AM
SeaLily Wrote:Is there a way to combine all of them into one, to slimline the default.cfg a little?
That's it!

The filter I posted combines everything that all of yours do, plus I've added extra detection for any potential 'netrating' and/or 'nielsen' related scripts, etc. This is because of Nielsen's combined company ownership, as the link that I posted described.

I'm running Sidki's configuration and so I need to include "$SET(script=)" in the filter. If you are not using Sidki's config you may not need this part. I'm not sure.

At each triggering the filter will replace the offending code with a "<!-- RedSheriff blocked -->" comment in the page html.

Hope this helps.
SeaLily Wrote:Thanks for the url info, it was a good read.
You're welcome. Smile!
Sep. 24, 2007, 05:10 PM
43unite Wrote:
SeaLily Wrote:Is there a way to combine all of them into one, to slimline the default.cfg a little?
That's it!

Oops. (Missed that one) LOL Thanks!!

I've been a little hesitant to try anyone's full config set because of possible conflicts with the current setup. I'm good with troubleshooting most apps, but not with Proxom for some reason. I just worked up the courage to do this. Went and grabbed Sidki's then on to JD5000. No site, what happened to it? I haven't been there in a few years but I remember it was a popular site. A few of my filters came from there. No luck finding anything with Google. Do you know?

SeaLily
Sep. 24, 2007, 05:59 PM
JD's config was "handed over" to Grypen...
Grypen's config is basically a "community-discussed, Grypen-maintained" JD5000 config...
Sep. 25, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hi ProxRocks,

When did this happen and if you know, why did JD5000 site close up? At least there are those who are still working on it. Two thumbs up to anyone who can create filters and share with us who are not as witty. LOL

Did anyone ever create a list of explaination for the filters? I was going through the default.cfg and there are some set to TRUE that I have no clue in what they do. Apparently I wanted them at some point but I don't know if I even need them or if there are more up-to-date ones available.

I need to keep better notes
Sep. 26, 2007, 11:17 AM
maintaining a public config takes many MANY hours...
my only guess is that JD wished to transfer those hours over to other endeavors...

not sure if Grypen has a list of filter explanations or not...