Author Topic: blocking an ip-adress  (Read 2557 times)

grolsch

• ICQ Messenger -
    • AOL Instant Messenger -
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
blocking an ip-adress
« on: July 13, 2002, 12:19:24 PM »
Hi, I'm new here but I'm using Proxomitron for a few months now. Lately I wanted to block an IP-adress but I don't know how to do it with Proxomitron.
Can somebody please tell me IF and more importantly HOW it can be done using the Proxomitron?

furthermore: if it can't be done with the Proxo, can you tell me if you know a good SMALL program wich will block IP-adresses for me using LOW systemresources? (so no ZoneAlarm and more of those resourecessucking proggies, cause I hate themwhich was the reason I started using the Proxomitron in the first place!)

thanx in advance!

JakBeNymble

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
blocking an ip-adress
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2002, 05:23:31 PM »
Hi "Grolsch",

Welcome to (What I believe to be) the Best FORUM on the Net! Glad that You are here.

The only real way to Hide Your IP and Host_name is to use a Anonymous Remote Proxy. Proxmitron has some nice features that will allow You to Use Proxies, and if You wish, to rotate the Proxies in a list. That will make Your IP change as the Proxies rotate.

But Proxy use will slow surfing down depending on the bandwidth and traffic on the Proxy. And again remember that You share all Your information with the Proxies that You use.  Most of us set Proxo up to automatically enable a Proxy or List ofProxies for the connection to Specific Sites That may not be trust-worthy. That way You can surf with some speed to most Trusted sites, but hide the IP and Host_name on sites that we don't want our IP or Host_name being logged.

Here is where You will find the information for setting this up:
http://asp.flaaten.dk/pforum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=597

Now if You don't have a Remote Proxy to use, You might want to think about using the J.A.P program. It is a 100% anonymizing Proxy with some nice "special Features" built into it. (However, You don't want to set Proxo up For Proxy Rotation and use the J.A.P program too. J.A.P is also Proxo Friendly and they can be "Chained" to work together. They make a dynamite combo for Anonymous Surfing. But again depending on Your Location, it can run slow. If J.A.P would run faster for me, I would use it most all of the time because of the Special features. Here is where You will find the information on "J.A.P". http://asp.flaaten.dk/pforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=144

Now there is another way to set Up Proxo and send a "Fake IP and Host_name". It doesn't hide Your IP but it makes it "appear" to sites that  Your Actual IP and Host_name is that of "A REMOTE PROXY" being used to surf through and think that the "Fake IPs and Host_names" are the Real IP and Host_name of some user. All the details, information, and Posts can be found here. http://asp.flaaten.dk/pforum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=539

And again let me take this opportunity to Welcome You to the FORUM!
I hope that You have a Great & Wonderful Day My Friend.
Best Wishes,
"Jak"

Edited by - JakBeNymble on 13 Jul 2002  18:34:33

grolsch

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
blocking an ip-adress
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 05:44:39 PM »
Thanx a lot, JakBeNymble, for your reply to my question. I'm very interested in internetsecurity since I've installed a cableconnection (finally!). So I'll certainly try your suggestions for hiding my own IP.

However: I didn't want to know how to hide my OWN IP but I was asking if I could BLOCK a remote-IP adress, thus preventing him from connecting to my computer.

Reason I'm asking this is this post in the Grokster Forum:
quote:
how to hop supernodes using your firewall - in the following example im using zone alarm pro 3
for this to work you need a little knowlage , and a program that traces ip addresses ,
im using visual route .
the first this to do is disable filesharing and pause all downloads.
its also a very good idea to reboot and reconnect so you get a new ip address .(note - if you use broadband , this works best if you have a dynamic ip adderss)
ok so you now should be connected to the net ,
and have Grokster running with sharing disabled and all downloads paused
next goto the run command (start>run)and type netstat 50 , this will give you a snapshot of who is connected to your pc for the next 50 seconds , look through the list that comes up for the number 1214
(it looks something like this :
pc3-guil4-0-cust164.gfd.cable.xxx.com:1214)
to find out the ip address for the super node , type or cut & paste this bit into the left side box on visual route , then click trace and copy the ip address as it apears in the right side box .
right click zone alarm pro (in the task bar by the clock) and open the contol center .
click 'firewall' from the menu on the left ,
you will see 2 'tabs' one marked 'main' and one marked 'Zones'
the zones tab is the one we need .
once at the 'zones' tab , you will see 4 buttons in the bottom right corner ,
click 'add' and select ip address from the popup menu .
type the ip address you got from visual route into the box provided & place it in the 'blocked' zone , click ok then click apply .
return to grokster and do a search , doesnt matter what for , its just to clear you from the supernode you are currently connected to .
once you reconnect to the network (on a different node , as the one you just left is now blocked by your firewall ) restart your downloads (you might want to do this AFTER checking netstat again to get the ip of the latest node) and most important - reenable sharing.
you should now find yourself on a new node with totaly different users , but best of all ,
you will still pick up the users you found on the last node and continue to download from them

How can this be done using the Proxomitron and if it can't be done and I have to get myself a seperate firewall program, do you know one wich is small (in terms of sytemresources) and good?

Thanx again

grolsch

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
blocking an ip-adress
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 05:47:22 PM »
woops! posted 2 times the same thing there! sorry.....

JakBeNymble

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
blocking an ip-adress
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 05:50:47 PM »
Hi "grolsch",

LOL! Sorry, . . I didn't read the post as close as I should have. Here is a the link to "cutting the Chord" http://asp.flaaten.dk/pforum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=731 We were talking about blocking sites.
Maybe I should not post replies so late at night, . .lol!

There is a fire-Wall called "Tiny Personal Fire-Wall" that doesn't use alot of resources. It's free for home-uesers and it's more popular than I thought it was. Here is the link to a poll that the FORUM had on which fire-wall was the best. http://asp.flaaten.dk/pforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=167 I really don't know how Safe that it really is. I know that it will let You write rules for about everything and that's was I look for in a Fire-wall. Here is their homepage: http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny?pg=tpf_summary&la=EN&va=aa
I do know that it comes running on a certain "Wireless Network Adaptor".

Take Care and I hope that You Have a Delightful & Wonderful Day, My Friend!
"Jak"

pooms

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
blocking an ip-adress
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 04:03:24 PM »
I suggest that you look at buying one of the small hardware routers from Netgear,
Linksys, D-Link, etc. They come with a built-in "firewall" and the
price of these things has dropped considerably (and if you wait for
the right time, you can usually get a good rebate offer). Plus, it also
gives you the ability to connect multiple computers to the internet.

I used the ZoneAlarm software firewall on my computer, and while it
does a pretty good job, I didn't feel completely confident about it
protecting me so I also bought a Netgear RP114 router and now have both
it and ZoneAlarm running.

Although I must admit that I'm running far more server programs on my
computer than the average user, and probably have a higher need for
protection. For a normal computer user, a software program like ZoneAlarm
is probably good enough (I haven't used any other software firewalls
other than ZoneAlarm)

grolsch

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
blocking an ip-adress
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2002, 04:58:32 PM »
Thanx a lot for the replies! I know now what to do. I'll sure be checking back this forum often. Maybe help some other people out if I got the hang of the whole security-stuff. Shame one has to have security though. But that's another discussion.

For now: Have a nice "and wonderfull" day!!!!