Load Limit (Ernie's House, for example)...
Jul. 28, 2008, 04:06 PM
Load Limit (Ernie's House, for example)...
Some blog sites I visit don't "roll over" their content soon enough and before you know it, the page takes LITERALLY 22.5 seconds to load because of the "87 items remaining" due to image count for images that should have "rolled over" DAYS ago...

so, i'm wondering, is there a way for Proxo to inject a "timer" whereby the page load is KILLED if that timer reaches, say, 8 seconds ???
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 28, 2008, 06:46 PM
RE: Load Limit (Ernie's House, for example)...
ProxRocks,

You'll find that the big majority of EHOWA's main-page images are from his own secondary server, pretty much for his ads. Find the address of such, and disallow the connection thereto. I think that'll do what you want. Pray

Otherwise, yes, the Timer bit makes sense to me, but I've never played with it. I know that Sidki used/uses it to inject code at certain points (f'rinstance the onload event.....), so I should think that it's doable. Whistling

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jul. 28, 2008, 07:09 PM
for Ernie's, the 80+ slows-load-to-a-crawl ALL come from thumbs.ehowa.com/thumbs/...

sure, i can block that and the page loads lickity-split, but, um, "all is lost" without pulling in the thumbs (though i really only need the first 20 or so, not all 80+)...

i "used to have" a filter that blocked images past a certain number of images already found on that page, but i abandoned it and am thinking that a "stop loading images after 8 seconds" would work much, much better...
Aug. 01, 2008, 02:00 AM
ProxRocks,

Well, there are some "gotchas" with what you're contemplating.

Keep in mind that your browser may have as many as 10 or even 20 connections open at once. What happens if an image has loaded partially, then the 8 seconds are up? Does it die right there, without displaying at all, or does it display partially? Should the image be allowed to fully load, if that's what it takes to prevent an ugly screen?

Things like that keep programmers up late at night! Whistling Possibly you might instead "count" the number of images loaded with a '$SET x=' command, and after you've reached your magic number, then you'd prohibit any more images from loading. (I imagine that '$TEST x' would be one way to do that, the REPLACE string would depend on the test results.) That way, whatever's already in the pipeline can finish, and not leave your display looking gruesome.

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!