Default SSL Settings
Oct. 09, 2010, 01:28 PM
RE: Default SSL Settings
Now I am confused. I don't use Proxo for HTTPS and never have. I think Scott was correct in warning against doing this. But that is just my personal opinion and I don't preach it to others.

I periodically get errors regarding Proxo and it popping up and saying it needs SSLLeay dll filters. Is that because "use half SSL" is checked by default in the header filters and I have never unchecked it? Why is it checked by default since a user would have to install the proper SSL dlls for it work? It should be unchecked by default. I have no idea what "use half SSL" means anyway. I assumed that because I have never installed the SSL dlls needed to have Proxo filter HTTPS that I didn't need to do anything else. Now, I read that I should have known to uncheck "use half SSL" filter even though I don't have the SSL dlls installed. This is a conundrum that makes no sense.

I see 4 header filters for half SSL. I had one unchecked. The others are checked. It is not at all clear that I need to immediately uncheck all 4 upon installing the Sidki filters. To me, Scott's strong warning against using Proxo for SSL sites would mean that by default NO SSL filters are checked! I also see that I have 2 half SSL (as I said I have no idea what half SSL is as opposed to full SSL) checked in Web filters. So, I should uncheck those?

I have been using Proxo since 2002 but I always assumed that SSL filters were not checked by default. Yes, I am guilty of not carefully checking everything after installing a filter set, but why would I look for filters to be checked by default that Scott warned against and that you need to install the proper dlls to use?

Just my 2cents worth. I love Sidki (and btw would you set up some way so I can send you some money for all the hard work you do for us?) and I don't want this construed in the wrong manner. I was not going to say anything but I have changed my mind. I think ALL filters connected to SSL should be off by default if for no other reason than Scott's strong warning that new folks will read. I recall discussing this with Scott in his forum at Castlecops and I feel that Proxo should not filter SSL. I understand that many want to have Proxo filter SSL sites and that is perfectly fine with me. However, I don't think filter sets should come with SSL filters checked by default. Plus, is there an explanation somewhere that I have missed about what "half SSL" is? I have never really cared because I assumed the filters were not set by default to use SSL, and I don't want filter SSL, so I didn't really care if I knew what "half SSL" was as opposed to "full SSL" but I see now I need to know so I know what to uncheck.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Default SSL Settings - sidki3003 - Oct. 05, 2010, 05:19 PM
RE: Default SSL Settings - wammie - Oct. 09, 2010, 07:37 AM
RE: Default SSL Settings - Mele20 - Oct. 09, 2010 01:28 PM
RE: Default SSL Settings - JJoe - Oct. 09, 2010, 03:18 PM
RE: Default SSL Settings - wammie - Oct. 09, 2010, 03:33 PM
RE: Default SSL Settings - JJoe - Oct. 09, 2010, 05:08 PM
RE: Default SSL Settings - wammie - Oct. 15, 2010, 04:12 AM
RE: Default SSL Settings - Mele20 - Oct. 25, 2010, 10:43 PM
RE: Default SSL Settings - JJoe - Oct. 26, 2010, 12:19 AM
RE: Default SSL Settings - Mele20 - Oct. 26, 2010, 12:49 AM