"Recovering" Proxomitron's Source Code...
Aug. 22, 2017, 11:52 PM
RE: "Recovering" Proxomitron's Source Code...
Yes, interested. Very.

Thanks!

(Jul. 26, 2017 07:28 AM)amy Wrote:  Given the progress me and others have made on fixing and extending the Proxomitron, presumably by disassembling and analysing it, I wonder if it would be interesting to anyone else here to go the whole hog and decompile it all, with the goal being to understand and create an identically functioning "rebuilt" Proxomitron using equivalent source code. The original source code is probably long gone (if anyone still cares enough to try getting it, they are more than welcome to...), but reverse-engineering technology has now advanced so much that an equivalent source can be created easily.

I know there are clones like Proxydomo, but they don't offer the exact functionality and unfortunately are a few times bigger and not quite as efficient... I've been reading through the Proxomitron code in small pieces at a time and it is really quite interesting. Scott was an extremely talented programmer and I think seeing that in source code form would be very enlightening. More pragmatically, we would be able to adapt and extend "New Proxomitron" in far more ways, and more easily, than any binary patches could do, all the while maintaining precise backwards-compatibility and that small, efficient core which other clones have not succeeded in doing.

"We have the technology. We can rebuild him... better, faster, stronger." Smile!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mizzmona for this post:
Callahan

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Recovering" Proxomitron's Source Code... - mizzmona - Aug. 22, 2017 11:52 PM