Downloading Problem
Mar. 07, 2004, 06:29 PM

Hey guys! I just started having this problem when I want to download a file, lets say a zip file. When I click on the link, it automatically selects open file instead of save and then it opens it. I want it to ask me if I want to open or save it. Now I have to right click and save target as and its getting really annoying. It just started a couple days ago.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 07, 2004, 07:20 PM

Shea;

I can't make this behavior happen on my setup! [angry]

There is a check box at the bottom of the d/l dialog box that says "Always ask to open this kind of file before downloading". By default, the box is checked, so you get asked - that's what you're expecting. But if you uncheck that box (accidentally), then you should never see the dialog again, the requested file should simply open - this is what you're now seeing. And of course, in their infinite wisdom, MS makes no option available anywhere for a user to re-check that box. [angry]

Unfortunately, I've probably disabled this functionality somewhow (perhaps with Xteq's X-setup?), because the bleepin' check mark stays checked - I can't uncheck it, it always comes right back, every time. Therefore, I can't find what, if anything, has changed in the Registry.

Hopefully someone else here can give you a better lead. I know I've seen this problem before, and I *used* to know the Registry key to fix it, but for the life of me, I can't remember it now! Banging Head Sorry 'bout that.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Mar. 07, 2004, 07:47 PM

Thanx Oddysey. Your probably right, I must have accidently unchecked it. I'll take a look at the registry in the IE keys.

Mar. 08, 2004, 07:34 AM

That is funny. I was forced to use the right click option to download on the last two sites, but not here. Mozilla-based browsers seem to be resistant to Content-Disposition, and so were my download accelerators. I am glad that it is not being used here.
Mar. 08, 2004, 08:40 AM

Shea;

GOT IT!

Do this:

Open File Exploder;
Pull down Tools, select FolderOptions;
Select the File Types tab;
Scroll down until you get to the entry for ZIP files
(This might be called ZIP Files, or it might be called by the name of the program that opens it.)
Check the box that says "Confirm Open After Download";
Click OK until your hand gets tired. Smile!

That's all there is to it! You're back in business.

You're welcome.

Oddysey

Mar. 08, 2004, 01:47 PM

Sorry Oddysey, my Win98 machine doesn't have that option. Are you on XP?

EDIT: Found it!!! I wasn't looking hard enough.

Mar. 08, 2004, 11:51 PM

Crap! Now the download does not show the loading bar. It just says opend so far __ out of (not known) or something close to that. I'm guessing there's not going to be an easy way to fix this one.

Mar. 09, 2004, 07:17 AM

Shea,

That progress bar showed up when I 'restored' the functionality by using this method. Methinks that what's happening to you is that you're dealing with a server that doesn't supply all of the information needed by the d/l dialog box. If the remote server doesn't tell your machine what file size to expect, then you won't see the progress bar.

I have noticed this behaviour on many sites around the 'Net. There's no reason for a server do be withholding the file size info, not when it couldn't take more than 5 extra milliseconds to transmit it along with the rest of the header. Too bad we can't pass a law - I wanna know how big that incoming file is, too! :P

Oddysey

p.s. Nope, the Windows machine is still on W98SE, w/ SP1. I don't use phonehome-ware.

Mar. 09, 2004, 01:25 PM

Maybe, but it was this server. The first download I tested it on was the updated JakxPakIV.zip file. The only website I've noticed that doesn't show that EVERY time is Hotmail when openning an attachment.

Mar. 10, 2004, 03:39 AM

Nevermind. It was just that the file was too small that it didn't have time to show it.