A new Proxomitron-compatible filtering proxy
Jan. 04, 2008, 10:21 AM
A new Proxomitron-compatible filtering proxy
I am writing a new general-purpose proxy called XUProxy. It is written in Python using the Twisted framework. Among other features, Proxomitron-compatible filters will eventually be supported. It is not a Proxomitron clone, however. It is based on a modularized architecture that allows multiple protocol plugins and multiple filter plugins for each protocol (the Proxomitron-compatible filtering will be implemented as two filter plugins, one for headers, and one for data). There is no built-in user interface, although there will eventually be a separate front end.

XUProxy is more Unix-centric than the Proxomitron. It will run on Windows, but there probably will not be much integration (no support for running as a service, and no iconification to the system tray). I much prefer Unices and comparable systems over Windows, and don't want to go out of my way to support Windows. There is no OS-specific code (as far as I know) in XUProxy other than Unix daemonization and syslog support, however, and I will try to keep it that way.

An alpha version is available from http://xuproxy.sourceforge.net/. Only transparent HTTP proxying without authentication is supported at the moment. If you have any questions, bug reports, suggestions on how the design could be improved, &c, post on the forums on the Sourceforge project page or the mailing lists (or post in this thread/PM me).
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 05, 2008, 03:17 PM
Smile RE: A new Proxomitron-compatible filtering proxy
Sounds very interesting.

FWIW: For the past several years I've been running Proxo on both Windows and Linux. This is very easy as I use exactly the same settings and config files for both. Since I rarely use WinXP I update Proxo on Linux, then share the updated files & filters with Windows.

Proxo runs perfectly, fast and problem free via Wine on Linux. Just as it does on Windows.

Hope that your development goes well!
Jan. 05, 2008, 11:48 PM
RE: A new Proxomitron-compatible filtering proxy
43unite Wrote:Sounds very interesting.

FWIW: For the past several years I've been running Proxo on both Windows and Linux. This is very easy as I use exactly the same settings and config files for both. Since I rarely use WinXP I update Proxo on Linux, then share the updated files & filters with Windows.

Proxo runs perfectly, fast and problem free via Wine on Linux. Just as it does on Windows.

Hope that your development goes well!

I know. I've been running the Proxomitron under Wine on Linux for a long time, but it is missing some features that I want (multiple profiles of filters, for instance), and it has some rather annoying bugs (I'm not sure if they are Wine bugs or Proxo bugs) , so I am writing my own proxy.
Jan. 06, 2008, 11:36 AM
what do you mean by "multiple profiles of filters" ?
Jan. 06, 2008, 11:48 AM
ProxRocks Wrote:what do you mean by "multiple profiles of filters" ?

The Proxomitron-like filtering modules will support multiple sets of active filters that will be switchable with a URL command. It will also be possible to set the default filter profile for an individual site in the configuration (possibly using a matching command).
Jan. 07, 2008, 05:26 PM
andrew_w Wrote:Proxomitron under Wine on Linux ... has some rather annoying bugs (I'm not sure if they are Wine bugs or Proxo bugs)
What bugs are you experiencing? I haven't seen any. Proxo runs quite smoothly here.

Could your experience be distro/configuration related?
Jan. 08, 2008, 03:06 AM
43unite Wrote:What bugs are you experiencing? I haven't seen any. Proxo runs quite smoothly here.

Could your experience be distro/configuration related?
Crappy handling of connections, for one (connections to the remote server aren't dropped if the client drops its connection). I don't think that is a configuration issue or distro-specific bug. I kind of suspect that that is due to the design (there might be separate pools for client and server connections and no tracking of which connections go where, rather than one pool of server connections per client connection like XUProxy).

Also, client connections appear to be sometimes randomly dropped (although that may be a Firefox bug), and occasionally, random crashes occur (especially on exit). Those are probably Wine bugs.
Jan. 14, 2008, 09:19 AM
HTTP proxying in version 0.0.1 was broken. I have released an updated version of 0.0.1 which fixes the bug. No other changes have been made.