How to change Proxo Connection Error message
Apr. 25, 2008, 12:44 PM
How to change Proxo Connection Error message
Greetings, Proxomitron Fans Everywhere!

I've used Proxomitron for a long, long time -- it's still part of my 'computer staples.'

Browser: Opera 1.26
Proxomitron version: 4.5j

Question: Is there a way to replace the Proxo connection error message that appears in blocked ad spaces with a clear image or other blank image? See example below.

.gif  ProxoConnectErrorMsg.gif (Size: 18.53 KB / Downloads: 917)

I am able to do that using eDexter to replace blocked urls (via host file) but I would like to do this with Proxomitron's connection error message. I have no idea where to find this in the Proxomitron folder.

Since I am capable of doing some basic things with html and such, I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

janusz
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Apr. 25, 2008, 01:59 PM
RE: How to change Proxo Connection Error message
Have a look at the Proxomitron\html directory.
Apr. 25, 2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for replying. I appreciate it. Yes, it was my first stop. I did not find anything obvious. Perhaps you could identify it for me?

Thanks!
j
Apr. 25, 2008, 04:49 PM
You can change the image here:

**Proxomitron Folder**\html\ProxyLogo.jpg

The HTML is hard-coded into Proxomitron, so unless you want to delve into hex editing, you can also modify the appearance of the page by editing its CSS file:

**Proxomitron Folder**\html\Errors.css

I guess what you'd want to do is aim to make everything appear white: replace ProxyLogo.jpg with a white jpg, then set the body bg, table borders, table background to all white Smile! (via the css file)

Welcome!
Visit this user's website
Apr. 25, 2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks!!!

Well, I was able to make the changes. White images, text color white, yet the error message is still visible:

Error connecting to site

The Proxomitron couldn't connect to...
mediamgr.ugo.com:80/html.ng/size=300x250&affiliate=allmovieportal&channel=filmtv&subchannel=alsoplaying&Net
The site may be busy or the web server may be down.

Is there a way to mask the message using a header entry of some kind?

j
Quote this message in a reply
Apr. 25, 2008, 09:35 PM
Try this (backup your Errors.css file first) Smile!:

Code:
/*
   Proxomitron Error Message Style Sheet
*/

body
{
  background-color: #FFFFFF;
}

table table p
{
  display: none
}

td img
{
  display: none
}

.err1
{
  display:none
}

.err2
{
  display:none
}
Visit this user's website
Apr. 26, 2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Kye-U!! I appreciate it very much.

Here is what I get:

.gif  ErrorMsg.gif (Size: 3.17 KB / Downloads: 894)

Summary: I use host file to block URLs. I only get the connection error message when 1) the host file blocks a URL and 2) when I have BYPASS FILTERS active (no filtering) in Proxo.

When I have Proxo working as normal (full filtering), I do not get a connection message, just a blank or white space. So it seems that a Proxo filter seems to be doing the job and blocking the error message!!

Why not leave Proxo filtering "on"? On some sites that I may only visit one or two times I may not want to filter for variety of reasons (i.e., flash, javascript, etc.). I thought that if Proxo could remove the error message then I would have little reason to use eDexter. (eDexter does not work well with Opera, unlike other browsers, in that a web page does not resize to eDexters "invisible" images and the error message often comes through anyway.) eDexter was disabled during the above "tests."

Any thoughts or suggestions?

j