Sidki, Grypen
Nov. 07, 2008, 12:20 AM
Sidki, Grypen
Are Sidki and Grypen the same person? It seems that they have both dissappeared at the same time? I hope they are healthy somewhere?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 07, 2008, 11:25 AM
RE: Sidki, Grypen
nope, they not the same person...
Nov. 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
Grypen started out in 2005 I think it was and based his config set on JD5000's set. JD had left and was no longer actively supporting his configs which I used for several years. They were excellent. Sidki came on the scene about the time Grypen did I think I recall. Sidki left active development early this year but didn't announce it in his forum at Castlecops. Grypen evidently has been extremely busy (so appears to have also disappeared) but very recently told one user that he has not left active development of Proxo configs. He said he will be updating his config soon. It is very time consuming to keep up a full config set and they are not getting paid for all their hard work.

http://www.castlecops.com/f183-Grypen_Proxomitron.html
http://www.castlecops.com/f178-Sidki_Proxomitron.html
Nov. 10, 2008, 05:31 PM
Mele;

You'll note the name of this joint, The UNofficial Proxo Forums, eh? Well, The Official Forums were up and running for several years before Our Fearless Leader started this one, back in March of 2004. In fact, that's why we started, because Arne (in Denmark) "closed his doors", so to speak.

A look at the archives of that site reveals that sidki3003 was active from the very beginning of that board, as were Grypen and JD5000, too. IIRC, Grypen started 'slacking off' well before the end of Arne's Dynasty, sometime around late 2002, perhaps a bit earlier. Sidki and JD were active right to the end, as were also altosax, TEggHead, JakBNymble, hpguru and many others.

Sadly, only a few of them trickled over here, and since Scott's demise, nearly everyone else has left. Kye-u, ProxRocks and I are pretty much it now, from that old regime. Shea was active, but he was in high school, and I imagine that real life caught up with him by now, and he's had to go to work. Sad Ralph is another long-time carry-over, but as he'll tell you, he's not one to make whole config sets. But Gawd does he ask some hard questions! Sinister (Just kidding, Ralph! Wink)

Aw geez, ya got me started down Reminiscence Road.... I gotta go get a hankie. Whistling

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Nov. 11, 2008, 12:19 AM
Rem. Rd. - i'm surprised you recognize me from "dem there parks"...

i mean, "over there", i had SIX log-ins (none of which i can remember the username, cueball, eightball, cue-the-eight, i know i had one or two that stemmed from billiards, but i had four or five that didn't - heck, there towards the end, i "anonymized" 'cause the "powers-that-be" 'thought' they could keep me away by "blocking" JakxPack users) (oh, i may have had a Douglas Adam's Hitthiker's "42" username also, can't remember any more) (hades, i recall on one occasion logging in as one user on Firefox, logging in as another on whatever IE-Shell i would have been on, and the "two of me" was arguing back and forth with hpguru on whatever political diatribe he was on at the time)...

where was i? oh yeah, i'm surprised you recognize me, lol...
(oh, i've "matured" a LITTLE since then, lol...)

yeah, there's a group of us that has been around for a LONG time...
i know one thing's for sure, LONG LIVE PROXO...
i will NOT surf without it!!!
Nov. 11, 2008, 12:23 AM
Geez Od , you've got some hell of a memory ! That was a road down memory lane . Must be the ginkgo biloba Smile! I need to get some of the stuff . Take a look at the Proxo forum at Yahoo http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/prox-...unt=20&l=1 Regards , Ralph
Nov. 11, 2008, 09:18 AM
Ralph,

Ya gots to be a bona-fide member in der Yahoo Quilting, Book Reading, and Timing Association in order to see them thar for-ooms. What were you trying to show me/us? Can ya post it here? (Cut and paste some text or an image, perhaps?)

But since you mention Yahoo's group, a tip o' the Hatlo Hat to JJoe for all his hard work and unstinting help to others! Cheers JJoe, if you were ever at Arne's, sorry I missed calling you out, above.... I didn't know, and I really don't recall seeing your current handle over there.

And for the record, Ginko Biloba is a no-no for those on statin medications, such as moi. I joke about it a lot, but that's because I can't take 'em. Believe me, if it weren't for the ticker, my memory bones would be a whole lot stronger than anything Wonder Bread (Builds strong bodies 8 ways!) could make of 'em! Big Teeth

Over and out!

Oddysey

Nov. 11, 2008, 11:35 AM
(Nov. 10, 2008 05:31 PM)Oddysey Wrote:  Mele;

You'll note the name of this joint, The UNofficial Proxo Forums, eh? Well, The Official Forums were up and running for several years before Our Fearless Leader started this one, back in March of 2004. In fact, that's why we started, because Arne (in Denmark) "closed his doors", so to speak.

A look at the archives of that site reveals that sidki3003 was active from the very beginning of that board, as were Grypen and JD5000, too. IIRC, Grypen started 'slacking off' well before the end of Arne's Dynasty, sometime around late 2002, perhaps a bit earlier. Sidki and JD were active right to the end, as were also altosax, TEggHead, JakBNymble, hpguru and many others.

Sadly, only a few of them trickled over here, and since Scott's demise, nearly everyone else has left. Kye-u, ProxRocks and I are pretty much it now, from that old regime. Shea was active, but he was in high school, and I imagine that real life caught up with him by now, and he's had to go to work. Sad Ralph is another long-time carry-over, but as he'll tell you, he's not one to make whole config sets. But Gawd does he ask some hard questions! Sinister (Just kidding, Ralph! Wink)

Aw geez, ya got me started down Reminiscence Road.... I gotta go get a hankie. Whistling
Oddysey

I didn't realize this site came about after Arne closed his site.

When I got broadband in June 2001, I immediately joined dslreports which I still have as my home page...all these years later. The "wabbit" was being prolific then at dslr and around then started offering his configs and it was there that I first learned about Proxo. It seemed too daunting to me and I was still using Ad/subtract. I finally got Proxo in 2002 (when Ad/subtract killed its free version) I think it was and just used Scott's config ...not the wabbit's that lots were using at dslr.

I did, at some point, join Arne's forum. I can't recall what it was about but he banned me permanently not too long after I joined! I couldn't stand him....seemed very arrogant. (In close to 10 years on the net the only other forum I have ever been banned at was Wilders last year after many, many posts there since 2002). So, I wasn't at Arne's long enough to get to know folks and, come to think of it, I think I did know this forum came about after Arne closed his. Yep, I looked on my old 98SE computer and I have a bookmark for this forum. I think I came here a little, but Paul had put up Castlecops, with the help from many of us in the security forum at dslr, and Scott had the official Proxo forum there, and Paul had a forum with his configs for awhile, and then came JD5000 and so I mostly went there for help and got JD's filters. I loved his filters and he told me several times that he really wanted to write a set that was simple and write a full, simple help file for all those who wanted to try Proxo but felt the learning curve was too steep. I still run into users fairly often who are interested but scared to try Proxo. I also run into those who use it and have no idea there are any more current configs than Scott's last one.

I also belonged to the Yahoo Proxo news group for awhile way back before Scott stopped developing Proxo. But I came to hate Yahoo and there was a lot of fighting in that yahoo group. I haven't been to Yahoo in years so my dislike of Yahoo keeps me from resubscribing.
Nov. 11, 2008, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: Nov. 11, 2008 12:06 PM by Ralph.)
Od , the gist of the latest discussion at the Yahoo Proxo forum was that many Proxo users were leaving the program . Increasing problems with the program because of the lack of development , loss of interest , newer programs , i.e. AdBlock , AdMuncher ; lack of promotion , the passing of Scott Lemmon , sudden departure of Sidke , Gripen , JJoe all have contributed to Proxomitron's demise . My response yesterday at the forum :" I have been a long time user of Proxomitron but unfortunately never learned to
write or fully understand the program . With people like Sidke and JJoe around
they were the backbone of the program after Scott passed away . Proxo still is a
great program , although there are problems with it which I just overlook or
bypass it . Kye-U , ProxRocks , Z12 and a few others are keeping it alive over
at Kye-U's place and the remains of Castle Cops and kudo's go out to them .
Ad-Muncher is for the birds . Proxomitron will be around for quite some time so
hang in there is my message . And many , many , thanks to Kye-U , and ProxRocks "
Mele , I just noticed your post and hadn't realized that you go back to Arnies forum . I have followed many of your posts and I think you , like me , are dedicated users but are limited in our detailed understanding or the writing of filters . Yahoo , is indeed a PIA , but I still visit the place now and again . HPguru's political rantings were off the board at times but he sure as hell knew how to program . Nice to have you here , Regards , Ralph
Nov. 11, 2008, 03:56 PM
Well I hope Grypen or someone does come back and start updating filters for my favorite app. Using Grypens filter set these days; used JD's for years, and Sidki's for quite a long time also. Been using proxo for a long time before I joined this forum. I used to be very into security for pc's etc., but family trumps all. I guess that's the same for many. Smile!
Nov. 11, 2008, 07:21 PM
Gang;

Short notes......

Arne also got my cherry, that's the only place on the entire Innerweb that I've been banned - ever! Like the ProxRocker, I went back in under another handle (in fact, my now current one, I had been known as FnuLnu), and shortly thereafter, Scott released his May version of Naoko 4.5, whereupon Arne threw a raging hissy fit. Scott patched that up, when he didn't have to at all, and Arne settled down for a few months. But not long after, he closed the forums (but not the rest of his personal site), citing that his current Host provider wasn't very reliable, and that it was costing him too much time, effort and cash to keep it all together.

If you were there long enough, you got the idea to go check out his website..... know what he does? Advocates for Father's Parenting Rights. Know why he's a Norwegian in Denmark? Well, he never said quite outright, but one gets the feeling that he wore out his welcome in his native land, so to speak. No real details, but long story short, he's a very bitter man, and that bitterness affected his everyday dealings, even with those who wanted to call him a friend. Sad, very much so.

I also dropped the Yahoo Group, but that wasn't due so much to the constant clashing of personalities as it was to many of the participants asking over and over "can someone make me a filter, pleeeeezzzze?" (Insert Doug and Wendy Whiner soundclip here.) Damned few of the newcomers wanted to learn how to go to sea and fish for themselves, they just wanted somebody else's catch off the boat, at the dock. And for free, at that. Sad If JJoe has dropped, I can't say as I blame him, I'd sure as hell be tired of it, too. (You'll note, carefully, how MizzMona kept her communications to a very tight-knit group of close friends. Got a clue yet as to why she might have done that all along? Wink)

FWIW, as Our Fearless Leader is to The Proxomitron, so was I to AutoCAD, 10 years ago and more. I was a LISP programming mofo, and before that, Menu Macros and I were One With The Universe. (This is where I made the Big Bux, if you know what I mean.) But I too burned out, for the same reasons mentioned above. Who wants to be a provider all the time, when teaching is in his blood, yet he's ignored for his true passion? 'Nuff said on that topic.

Final note to all: When you've got a job to do, and you want it done right, you know the old saying: Do it yourself. Depending on someone else to write a config set for you is like waiting on the docks for the boat. Pick up a fishing pole, row your skiff out to the end of the jetty, and start casting, dammit! If you've got a deadline, fine, but don't let that turn into an excuse for laziness, got that? Good. Big Teeth

</daily rant>

Oddysey

Official Notice: No ProxRocks "sore points" were harmed in the making of this post.

Nov. 11, 2008, 10:27 PM
Nice sincerous readings here friends!! Good to know more about us, it seems many of us are engineers. I left my proxo activity for a while in 2002, and one day i came back to the arne forums and saw it closed and didn't understand why, only perceibing bad relations there. Many people doesn't remember me because i left it in 2002, but i was very active in 2001. In my very beginnings i proudly remember how being newbye i printed the ad filters of JD-Sidki, and i suggested them to test if the width of images was bigger than 40 before testing all the sizes of the ad-dim list. At the next day Sidky published **BIG SPEED IMPROVEMENT**, i think because of this special sentence i'm creating filters in these days, more than seven years later...

By other side, I fully understand why sidki is out now, for sure many people saying him only the errors of his set and not realizing his hard work, many people wanting filters without opening the help file, It would be nice if sidki would create a new account with another name, and he would post here sometimes. For sure he has forgot many many concepts, but also sure he conserves the spirit of proxomitron.

The same for JD5000, Altosax, and many many others, all of them very good old friends, who maybe i will never know. I would like to know more of them, and no have any problems of giving details about my life for PM.

Also to say, would be interesting a private section in this forum for old members, we could confide in ourselfs what we cant confide in all the members. We could discuss ways of bypassing proxo filters, bugs, our ideas and information we don't want web programmers or others see. Please kye-u consider this idea!

A hug for all who contribute these days or contributed in other times to the proxomitron community!!
Nov. 12, 2008, 03:02 AM
"Final note to all: When you've got a job to do, and you want it done right, you know the old saying: Do it yourself. Depending on someone else to write a config set for you is like waiting on the docks for the boat. Pick up a fishing pole, row your skiff out to the end of the jetty, and start casting, dammit! If you've got a deadline, fine, but don't let that turn into an excuse for laziness, got that? Good."
End Quote

For many things in life I would agree with this statement; but some things are better left for people that know what they are doing. I don't have any problems with the filter set as is; but I don't want to see the program die. I'm not about to learn how to write these filters myself. I don't think I've really ever complained about any free filter sets ( at least not to my recollection) that I've used. I'm very thankful to the people that write them. I have left most forums that I belonged to because of the constant complaining, flaming, and all around lack of respect for others at them. People have biases, and tend to show them at forums. I can see that doing work for something like the proxomitron has to be a great deal of work; and I would like to say that I would pay for the filters. But the problem is that too few people will use a program like The Proxomitron (when I show it to people, or suggest it to them, they run and hide). So it would not be a very profitable situation for any developer. It's sad that I feel that this software is going to meet it's demise; but it is imminent. (no pun intended Inmenente). This has been my #1 software for a long time; but it will get to the point of no return at some point in the future without further development. I have to admit that I am going to be lazy, and not learn to develop it myself. But stuff happens. I'm going to keep using it for as long as is practical; and go from there. It's been a great ride. Smile!
Nov. 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
Exactly my sentiments , Besafe . You said it extremely well . To me , much of the programing for Proxomitron is like rocket science . I guess I could have learned it 20 years ago but at my age too many brain cells have died and too much to do , too little time . It would be like trying my hand at some neurosurgery . Bless the experts !!
Nov. 12, 2008, 05:46 PM
besafe;

Can't argue with your points, there's a reason we have the word "expert" in our linga franca, and you've just explained it quite well. Wink

That said, it's not a matter of "free" or "too high a powered for me", it's more a matter of understanding the basics of what's going on, much like being able to tell if your car mechanic is trying to bamboozle you...... if you know the fundamentals of how an automobile works, you can generally keep the mechanic on the up-and-up. If you're totally ignorant, your wallet will soon be his. Sad state of affairs, true, but there's way it goes. Sad

Ralph;

It's not a matter of being "smart" or having some extra brain cells laying around with nothing better to do, it's more a matter of being curious, plus a healthy dollop of problem-solving skills. Lacking either one of those traits, then yes, it would be better to let the so-called experts do their thing, and just sit back and enjoy the show. Drool

BTW, that old saw about brain cells dying off...... better check up with Google on that. Try "adult stem cells", and get an eye-full. Hail

All (and especially besafe);

As noted before, until the entire TCP/IP process changes, drastically, then HTTP transfers will continue to use Port 80, and that means that the Proxomitron can't die. Period. It may make potential beneficiaries run and hide, but Scott tied it to the nuts and bolts of the Innerweb, as if he'd been right there with Tim Berners-Lee when that worthy invented the whole Innerweb concept, back in 1990. In essence, The Proxomitron itself is nothing more than an engine, one that will run as long as HTTP and TCP/IP are in business. How we dress up the engine with little bits of chrome here and there, that's up to each person to do as he or she wishes.

But I do agree, if someone were to develop a wrapper application that was CUA compliant, and had a Filters wizard, then indeed, there'd be some attraction for the average user, and it would gain a healthy following. (Not to mention that there'd likely be a bit of monetary value somewhere in there, too.) Sadly, without the source code (Hello Scott's estate, this is the real world calling, the one waving a fistful of dollar bills at you.....), that's not gonna be a walk in the park. Cry

Oddysey