The base config
Jan. 17, 2009, 08:03 PM
RE: The base config
It's really good as it is, i was testing many addresses and all was working very well. I would use more easy to remember variable names, but if nobody involved in this project says the opposite its better to maintain compatibility with your config too. Many thanks Sidki, really apreciated Wink
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 17, 2009, 08:18 PM
Glad to help. The list as posted inline doesn't work, because the [ code ] tag is swallowing some leading spaces. I'm going to replace it with an attachment now.
Feb. 10, 2009, 10:36 PM
Here are all my http header filters. Some of them define vars, others modify only URL's. I added also 4 filters. Two for cookies, one for referrer and other more for User-Agent. The reason is only for sharing my actual full set of header filters.

After investigating with header filters, i decided to use a special "URL:" title format:
URL(space):(Zero for outcoming, I por incoming)_(#section).(#filter).(#subfilter/related filter) (Title) {autors}(ISO 8601 Calendar date: YYMMDD)

Example:
URL :0_3.1 Outcoming example {sd,th}040526
URL :I_2.2 Incoming example {ln}090125

In that way we will see easier the outcoming filters above the incoming. Proxomitron will autoorder these filters after saving reloading the config.

When the browser requests a file, proxomitron follow the order of the "URL :" filters in the same order we see in the HTTP header filters.

The filter "0_0.1 Set Debug Mode" sets keyword=.i_level:5. the same than the sidki config for debugging.

In debug mode, going to the log window we will see how the filters are matching.

Edit: removed old http header filters file attached
Feb. 15, 2009, 12:15 AM
A base config is public now Smile!
Feb. 15, 2009, 02:30 AM
Stickied that thread Wink Thanks for all your work Inminente! I'll try to find the time to test it out...I'm really reading this reading week... Sad
Visit this user's website
Feb. 15, 2009, 03:11 AM
Thanks for sticking Kye-U!! Wink
Feb. 17, 2009, 04:41 PM
I'm just starting to rewrite my ad-filters with toggle for links with text or images, flash, iframes, tables and divs. All of them next to a link wich would add the entry blocked to a list called protect, to never more match them. This would do the base config ready for a everyday use.

It will take me same large time. I'm wroting here, because i would like someone to write a filter to decide if web filtering or not a connection by doing some sniffing. We could discuss if sniffing the connections is safe or if it would give us many false positives.

Also has to be written a protocol to pass variables from a connection to another. It could be used to create the content of a file on the fly, pass variables to disable/enable temporarily some filters, etc
May. 04, 2009, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: May. 04, 2009 08:57 PM by lnminente.)
Just thinking aloud what i'm doing with the base config:

-added an offsite flag and fixes for shared domains
-added an adsource flag
-added a list to set keywords by the uDom (exclusions, etc...)
-added the function list
-rewriting of all the "URL :" header filters. Maybe i will remove all of them, they were working good but i'm rewriting them only for order purposes. The intention is that all the header filters wich don't do any replacement would be in the "! :" format, while all the others would do replacements.
-added more vars spliting the filters in their general and specific purpose. For example the keyword cache, there is a filter wich would set this keyword when a file bigger than 600 kbs, and later there are some filters to force caching when they see that keyword. In that way it's easier creating a filter to always cache... images por example.

Many new things more, not sure what i will add to the base. To keep the concept of base most probably i will release the adlist empty, but explaining how to update it taking the easylist from adblock plus. My intention is to develop an easy to use tool yet powerful, but changing almost nothing from the beginning (something like ABP with an empty list but with the power of proxomitron). Something where users find many information to be able to write "experiments" Smile!

To say when i will make public the next release i will have a very good state on confort with it and hope to slowdown my development to use my time in doing my project end of studies of industrial engineering. It was supposed i would start it in september of the last year, but i started to develop the base config. I hope will be more people interested in the next release...
May. 04, 2009, 05:43 PM
(May. 04, 2009 11:55 AM)lnminente Wrote:  To keep the concept of base most probably i will release the adlist empty, but explaining how to update it taking the easylist from adblock plus.

I would consider making the anti-ad module fully functional, including a working (non-empty) ad list. I don't think you're hurting the "base" concept that way.

Instead, it makes it easier for users to test your config, if they already see something happen out-of-box. A "demo", so to speak.
And then there are users who may want to run the config, without ever modifying it on their own. Why not.

While being active by default, you could add a simple switch to turn off the "demo" ad list. Or not, because you're explaining already how easy it is to replace it.

Quote:To say when i will make public the next release i will have a very good state on confort with it and hope to slowdown my development to use my time in doing my project end of studies of industrial engineering. It was supposed i would start it in september of the last year, but i started to develop the base config.

Uh oh! No Expression Don't get trapped by Prox. It wouldn't be the first time that this happens.

Quote:I hope will be more people interested in the next release...

Ditto! See first comment, however.
May. 16, 2009, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: May. 16, 2009 04:55 PM by lnminente.)
Sorry for the late reply Sidki, i really appreciate it.

About the anti-ad module, here i can only publish general filters or tools. I want the tools/configs being developed by advanced users and the lists maintained by the comunity for not having all the work in only a few of us. I think developers should have feedback when their filters are working bad, for lists misconfigured should be the community.

Thinking in standarization i said about setting here the flag "adsource" using my own code for parsing the adlist. Why adding my own adlist parsing in something general? Because i want people developing filter packs using this var. In this way who prefer setting this var using the paul rupe lists could change how the config works easily. The same would be for the web filters but modifying the corresponding function inside the function list.

For blocking ads probably i will release a filter pack later, and i would add only the first adlist explaining how to update it or surely i will write some filters to convert the ABP on the fly to update it easily.

I want to remark i'm not publishing my config here, what i'm doing is working for what i think is better for the future of proxomitron. I dream with this base being developed by a few of us and becoming soon so stable and safe, and every user adding only the filter packs they need. I dream with your very good config being splitted in modules, and being done by another user, not all the work as always only for you. I dream with the work already done by a lot of people in our proxoworld not becoming forgotten, writing filters for the base config would persist more in time if it becomes used by the community. I dream with proxomitron recoded as an addon for Firefox wich would parse the html code after javascript does his job, and mostly i dream with me ending my studies wich nothing have in common with programming...

I believe in the base concept, simplicity would come to proxo, i will follow dreaming... Smile!
May. 16, 2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks for replying. I was already a bit worried that my thoughts put you off somehow.

And yep, that would be cool. I don't dare to speculate about probabilities though.
May. 17, 2009, 02:54 AM (This post was last modified: May. 17, 2009 02:59 AM by lnminente.)