why is IE supported?
Jan. 16, 2009, 09:12 PM
why is IE supported?
IE is so buggy? wouldn't it make life hard for sidki?

Lots of geek site just totally ignore it.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 16, 2009, 09:45 PM
RE: why is IE supported?
Well, as long as we also support Mosaic, NN4, OB1... Big Teeth

But seriously, people are giving feedback about IE7/8, so far so good. I have Vista/IE7 in a VM (host being W2K SP4), but only fired it up a few times last year.
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:00 PM
One main thing I found while developing web applications for IE 6: the hardest part is getting it to work in IE, once you do, it'll work everywhere else Wink
Visit this user's website
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:03 PM
bugger, i'm APPALLED at the mere "hint" of ABANDONING IE support !!!

when it comes to "browser wars", to each their own...
they ALL have their PROS, they ALL have their CONS...

but the day Proxo becomes "Firefox-ONLY" is the day i ABANDON Proxo !!!

but yeah, "to each their own"... Big Teeth
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:16 PM
In favor of browser that supports(or nearly supports) standards. Does not mean "firefox only", I just moved for firefox to opera Smile!

I know some something are browser specific. Most thing can be done in standard compliance way right?
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
99.9999999% of "web surfers" (web DESIGNERS, yes, but the Average Joe "surfing" the 'net, Hades NO!) don't give a rat's arse about whether their browser-of-choice is "standards-compliant" or not, let alone what "precisely" being 'compliant' even means...

it's all about ERGONOMICS for the average "web surfer"...
only "geeks" (myself included) care about anything MORE than "ergonomics"...

"why do you use such-and-such?"
"i don't know, i was told it was 'compliant'..."
"what's that mean, it renders magenta instead of fuchsia or cerise?"
"have no clue, but hey, i'm 'compliant' and that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling..."

ie, i have my mom & dad, two brothers, and a sister using Proxo+sidki-config... they don't have a CLUE what "compliance" is, nor do they CARE... nor will they ever visit this site, as far as that goes, they are happy knowing that "sidki in light mode" serves their needs awesomely... but NO, they don't give a rat's arse about being "compliant"... the sis is using Opera, the others are on IE7... and again, they don't give a rat's arse about "compliance"...
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:40 PM
I support Bugger, and not because i use Firefox. I will only support standards, it's a matter of work and of time, all the browser will follow the standards soon or later. I respect IE but i don't use it because is integrated in my OS.
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:53 PM
"me-the-geek" is NOT disagreeing...

but as someone attempting to extend the Proxo user base past the walls of Geekdom Palace and Nerdville Plaza, i'm just saying that supporting IE is a *MUST*...
Jan. 16, 2009, 10:56 PM
(Jan. 16, 2009 10:31 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  "why do you use such-and-such?"
"i don't know, i was told it was 'compliant'..."
"what's that mean, it renders magenta instead of fuchsia or cerise?"
"have no clue, but hey, i'm 'compliant' and that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling..."

Come on!

During NN4 days there was one smart guy, Brendan Eich (now still very active at mozilla.org). He invented JavaScript. Then MS knocked down Netscape and gained 95% of the browser market. Then they had the arrogance to rename someone else's work to JScript and added proprietary extensions.

Standard compliance is: Regarding "JScript", sticking to Eich et altera ECMA Script RFCs (currently ECMA v2). Regarding CSS, sticking to the World Wide Web Consortium RFCs (currently CSS3).
Jan. 16, 2009, 11:08 PM
(Jan. 16, 2009 10:31 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  don't give a rat's arse about whether their browser-of-choice

I don't think they choose IE. I must have missed the day when windows boots for the first time and ask me if i wanted IE or netscape. I think IE was shoved down their throat and they decided to live with it Smile!

(Jan. 16, 2009 10:53 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  as someone attempting to extend the Proxo user base past the walls of Geekdom Palace and Nerdville Plaza, i'm just saying that supporting IE is a *MUST*...

proxomitron started as geek tool(it a programming language). scott got sick of unwanted html code shoved down his throat, so he did something about it. I think most geeks are pretty pissed off about IE.
Jan. 16, 2009, 11:26 PM
again, i am *NOT* disagreeing...

Scott knew to make sure Proxo worked with IE...

and trust me, my sister converting from IE to Opera has *nothing* to do with "compliance" (it has to do with wanting her browser to handle e-mail)...
Jan. 17, 2009, 03:24 AM
(Jan. 16, 2009 11:08 PM)bugger Wrote:  I don't think they choose IE. I must have missed the day when windows boots for the first time and ask me if i wanted IE or netscape. I think IE was shoved down their throat and they decided to live with it Smile!
Yes, I would also guess that the majority of the public don't know that the thing they use to surf the internet is called a browser, let alone there being alternatives.
Jan. 17, 2009, 07:29 AM
I have to agree with ProxRocks. If we want to make Proxo more appealing and accessible to average users and even some of those who are somewhat geeky then Proxo must support IE. I am a dyed in the wool Firefox user but I use IE some (on Windows 7 it is so far the only browser I have installed and only one other program so far...Proxo of course Big Teeth) and I can't imagine being deprived of Proxo just because I use IE some. If that were to happen, my primary objection to moving to Linux would be removed. I understand it is difficult to get Proxo working on Linux and that is a major reason I stay with Window. But if Proxo was only going to work or certain browsers and not others then not that much would be lost if I moved to Linux and couldn't get it to work through Wine.
Jan. 17, 2009, 04:00 PM
(Jan. 17, 2009 07:29 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  I understand it is difficult to get Proxo working on Linux
Understand from who?
Proxo is incredibly easy to run on Linux via Wine. I've been doing it for years.
Jan. 17, 2009, 11:15 PM
(Jan. 17, 2009 07:29 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  I am a dyed in the wool Firefox user but I use IE some
I tend to use IE when I visit certain java chat sites which have sound effects on by default which I find annoying. I force IE to use the old Microsoft Virtual Machine for java rather than the Sun Java Runtime, because the MVM doesn't support the audio effects meaning I don't have to turn them off (often individually; it's slightly tedious).
I do however lose the ability to copy/paste text into the chat, but that's life.

Smile!

Lee