Intercept DNS?
Jan. 08, 2010, 11:20 PM
Intercept DNS?
Proxo can't intercept dns queries right?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 09, 2010, 04:52 AM
RE: Intercept DNS?
(Jan. 08, 2010 11:20 PM)bugger Wrote:  Proxo can't intercept dns queries right?

I think that is correct.
The Proxomitron can initiate but not intercept.
But does this answer your question?
You might want to know... Here you go

SRL Wrote:when your browser uses a proxy it should let the proxy handle DNS lookups.
Actually, it's normally up to the winsock implementation, not the program, to
determine just how the hostname is resolved. The program just calls a function
that returns an IP if all goes well.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/prox-...essage/514

HTH
Jan. 09, 2010, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: Jan. 09, 2010 07:19 AM by bugger.)
(Jan. 09, 2010 04:52 AM)JJoe Wrote:  I think that is correct.
The Proxomitron can initiate but not intercept.
But does this answer your question?
You might want to know... Here you go

I not quite sure. Here what i want to do. let say i viewing video on youtube.com, i want to go the nearest mirror(have the ip address).

I know your dns server should automatically redirect you to the nearest mirror, but it doesn't always work out that way, esp someone dns server do round robin.
Jan. 09, 2010, 02:35 PM
(Jan. 09, 2010 07:18 AM)bugger Wrote:  let say i viewing video on youtube.com, i want to go the nearest mirror(have the ip address).

You can use Hosts file to do that.
Jan. 09, 2010, 04:44 PM
(Jan. 09, 2010 02:35 PM)whenever Wrote:  You can use Hosts file to do that.

Does that work?

When youtube works for me, it doesn't work well enough to use. So I don't know much about youtube.
I did just manage to see a very jerky slide show (was not suppose to be a slide show) about a girl and bubblewrap, however.

Along with some addresses we don't usually like, I see one that requests a file of type video/x-flv. It starts with
http://v4.lscache8.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?.

The "v4.lscache8.c." part has me wondering if an ip address is enough but
Proxo should be able to redirect v4.lscache8.c.youtube.com to an ip.

Went back to youtube. Browser locked.

HTH
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:37 AM
I got it working.

i add a testing line.

127.0.0.1 testing.com
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:41 AM
Been using Acrylic local DNS proxy (with ADPMonitor GUI) for a long time in combination with Proxo featuring powerful own HOSTS-file possibilities:
http://mayakron.altervista.org/support/b...&name=Home
"With Acrylic you can also gracefully overcome short downtimes of your DNS servers without disrupting your work, because in this case you will at least be able to connect to your favourite websites and to your e-mail server. In addition Acrylic can help you to effectively block unwanted ads prior to their download through the use of HOSTS files, optimizing your navigation experience even further. A technique still widely used for fighting ads on web pages is to fill the HOSTS file (which the Windows DNS Client uses as a static cache) with thousands of domain names which are known sources of ads. Unfortunately the Windows DNS Client does not handle a large HOSTS file very well. This limitation can be solved by a local DNS proxy which is capable of handling it in a more efficient way. With Acrylic you can expect responses within 1 millisecond on a P3-733mhz machine with a HOSTS file containing 100,000 domain names."
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:17 PM
I did a fast search in google and found that modern browsers does DNS prefetching, Chrome and firefox since v3.5
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: Jan. 10, 2010 09:55 PM by bugger.)
It everyone uses DNS prefetching, then its like a DDOS on the dns server. No wonder my ISP dns becoming crappy Smile!

I just found out that youtube clips are mostly served from s.ytimg.com. So if you are going to use HOST file add entry for ytimg.com.

Oh the wildcard option is just to leave it blank, hence *.ytimg.com can be written as ytimg.com
Jan. 21, 2010, 06:31 AM
(Jan. 08, 2010 11:20 PM)bugger Wrote:  Proxo can't intercept dns queries right?
This is dependent on which proxy used?
If proxy you set to browser, this proxy don't intercept DNS query.
If proxy you set to internet connection, this proxy intercept DNS query.