Flash Cookies...
Sep. 21, 2010, 04:37 PM
Flash Cookies...
an interesting read - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/techno...hoofinance

i don't remember where i bumped into the "fix" (might even had been here)... in your user-name's "Application Data" folder, you are VULNERABLE if you have a FOLDER called "Macromedia"... the "fix" is to delete that folder and create a zero-byte file by the same name... that way when a flash file tries to drop a flash cookie, it can't because Windows operating systems will not allow the FOLDER to be created because there is a zero-byte file already there by the same name, no extension...

maybe my "undue paranoia" is paying off after all, lol...
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 22, 2010, 04:01 PM
RE: Flash Cookies...
(Sep. 21, 2010 04:37 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  i don't remember where i bumped into the "fix" (might even had been here)...

http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid12288 Wink
Sep. 22, 2010, 04:13 PM
ah yes...

and just saw in the news (and perhaps it is only fitting) that Adobe Systems Inc. (ADBE) is down 20% today in regards to their stock price Big Teeth

of course, the drop is due to "earnings guidance", but i say we blame it on 'flash cookies' and privacy concerns, lol...
Aug. 05, 2012, 03:31 AM
hi guys how do you create a zero-byte file on windows 7?
Aug. 08, 2012, 01:04 AM
arran,

Fairly simple:

Open Notepad, as if you were going to write something;

Don't write anything - leave the screen completely blank!;

Save the file with the desired name, in this case Macromedia (no extension) - do so in the correct folder, as per your Operating System version.

If you check the folder in Explorer (or with the DIR command, at the command prompt), you should see the filename with Zero bytes, and the current date/time. This is good enough for any version of Windows to prevent the creation of a folder of the same name, in that same directory/folder.

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!