ARM, windows 8, IPV6 and prox
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:10 PM
ARM, windows 8, IPV6 and prox
are we seeing the starting erosion of proxomitron?

1. ARM device, eg. tablets are becoming popular to surf the way. I have the intention of buying one, if i can run prox on it Sad

2. windows 8. They will support SoC, which is just ARM. So if we get windows 8 for arm, we can't run prox anymore Sad

3. IPv6. Now that ICANN has just run out of space, we are seeing the beginning of migration to IPv6. prox doesn't support that Sad
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 29, 2011, 05:37 PM
RE: ARM, windows 8, IPV6 and prox
1. ARM. if hardware runs a Linux, then user can proxo thru WINE. do any ARM UI devices run a RISC OS, or other OS lacking a windows 'layer', 'emulator', etc?

2. windows 8. Since 64bit windows OS have supported x86 programs, then i expect arm windows will support many x86 and 64bit apps. proxo seems to be one of the more easy-going win apps, so expect it to run in any windows.

3. IPv6. I have no true idea... but since most proxo filters use DNS names for sites, rather than IPaddress-based urls, shouldn't most filters run as they do now?
Jan. 30, 2011, 08:52 AM
(Jan. 29, 2011 05:37 PM)sbk Wrote:  3. IPv6. I have no true idea... but since most proxo filters use DNS names for sites, rather than IPaddress-based urls, shouldn't most filters run as they do now?

Well, the problem might be how to make Proxomitron listening on IPv6 localhost address.

Anybody have a IPv6 environment to test it?
Jan. 30, 2011, 10:38 PM
whenever;

(Jan. 30, 2011 08:52 AM)whenever Wrote:  Well, the problem might be how to make Proxomitron listening on IPv6 localhost address.

Anybody have a IPv6 environment to test it?

Since Proxo is actually connected to a "stack" (one of the several networking drivers that are inserted into the OS at boot time), and since many, if not nearly all, current communications/network programs use that same stack, I don't think that Microsoft is gonna put out an OS with networking drivers that ignore the IP4 protocol. Particularly when you consider that the job of the stack is to route addresses based on a ruleset. Which means, in turn, that it can also convert addresses from one form to another, without any undue overhead. Tie that in with the fact that on a machine itself, there are only a very few address needed - our current needs, per machine are perhaps a dozen, most likely less (HTTP, FTP, SSL, localhost, etc.).

It's the job of the stack to interpret these needs into real-world address out on the network. When it's incoming from 207.66.123.33.144.51, it can just as easily be translated into 127.0.0.1, instead of something like 127.0.0.0.0.1, or whatever will pass for localhost. Me personally, I don't foresee a huge effort to abandon all occurances of IP4 at every level. I think the migration will be bumpy along the way, but it will be at least a few years before we're all back on the same page.

(BTW, as an "editorial opinion"..... The only way we can "run out" of nearly 4.3 billion unique addresses is when we keep assigning whole address blocks to companies that need only one, or at most two (one for "normal" communications, and perhaps one for secure stuff) such. That is why they make switches and routers, I'm sure you realize. Wink Anybody ever stop to think of how their own ISP works? A good start might be to do a tracert to at least three or four widely disparate websites. IMO, most companies spend good cash on 10Gigabit switches that are then idling along all day, doing about .01 percent of what they could be doing. The average home router, rated at 100megabits, could do the same thing, routing for 100 to 250 computers quite easily.)

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jan. 31, 2011, 09:10 AM
That the OS has IPv6 support doesn't mean all IPv4 oriented applications can flawlessly switched to IPv6 without any changes, especially those server applications which have to listen on an address.

I learned when writing ProxHTTPSProxy that I have to change 1 line code to make it listen on IPv6 localhost address.

Privoxy and Polipo, also have options to switch between IPv4 and IPv6.
Feb. 01, 2011, 03:57 AM
On proxomido, i think kursden added support for ipv6 specifically. Thus reconising the ipv6 probably isn't support on prox.