Creating a list to block URLs or paths
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:37 AM
Creating a list to block URLs or paths
The title pretty much explains it. I'd like to have a list that's only used for user-added items that need to be blocked, whether it's an entire html page, a background gif, URLs containing the word "signup", etc. I've been using AdHosts and AdPaths with the sidki config, but as I found in this thread, using Block Ad URLs can create problems and I like the idea of a separate list.

So far I've created a list called zblock.ptxt and added it in the Config/Blockfile tab, then added this to the header filters

Code:
In = FALSE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Z list block"
URL = "$LST(zblock)"
Replace = "Killed\k"

But it doesn't seem to work. Also tried adding a webfilter with $LST(zblock) in the matching expression box. I have a feeling something obvious is missing, but couldn't figure it out by reading "creating blocklists."
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:41 PM
RE: Creating a list to block URLs or paths
I added your filter (modified to use my existing test list), clicked "apply", added "*" to the list, and all addresses were blocked.

What happens after you add "*" to your list?
What do your list entries look like?
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:00 AM
Where is the "*" supposed to be, and why? I added it to the top of the list, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

I haven't moved the usual URLs over to the list yet, just tested it out with a couple of obvious sites. This is all I've put in the list:

Code:
www.google.com/
en.wikipedia.org/
Jul. 24, 2011, 03:31 AM
(Jul. 24, 2011 01:00 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Where is the "*" supposed to be, and why? I added it to the top of the list, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

Where you put it is fine. "*" is a wildcard that should match everything. I had you add it to test.

(Jul. 24, 2011 01:00 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I haven't moved the usual URLs over to the list yet, just tested it out with a couple of obvious sites. This is all I've put in the list:

Code:
www.google.com/
en.wikipedia.org/

Looks ok from here. Should block everything.

Open http://local.ptron/.pinfo/lists/
Do you see your Blocklist?
Click on the Blocklist's name. Do you see your entries?
Clicking on the file's name may not work.

OR/AND

Open your cfg in a text editor.
Do you see the zblock list in the [Blocklists] section? Is the entry correct.
Do you see your filter in the [HTTP headers] section?

HTH
Jul. 24, 2011, 04:50 AM
Yes, I see the blocklist. Clicking the file shows the list, but when I click the name, it's empty. Also, on the Blocklist information page, it shows "Items" as 0.

In the config, the blocklist is shown as:
List.zblock = "..\Lists\sidki_l_2010-10-23\Zblock.ptxt"

In the headers section, the filter is as above, but in and out are both listed as false. That makes no sense because in the filter editor, "out" is checked and I've clicked "apply" numerous times when testing.
I've now changed "out" to "true" and saved the config but it still isn't working.
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:46 PM
(Jul. 24, 2011 04:50 AM)zoltan Wrote:  but when I click the name, it's empty. Also, on the Blocklist information page, it shows "Items" as 0.

That doesn't seem right. Is your editor formatting the lines as DOS text, CR+LF (carriage return and line feed)?

(Jul. 24, 2011 04:50 AM)zoltan Wrote:  In the headers section, the filter is as above, but in and out are both listed as false. That makes no sense because in the filter editor, "out" is checked and I've clicked "apply" numerous times when testing.
I've now changed "out" to "true" and saved the config but it still isn't working.

"Apply" doesn't change the stored config. It modifies a copy.
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'm using Metapad and it says file format unicode. DOS is an option though. I've never had problems editing the config or lists before.
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:51 AM
But have you ever created one?

Try this one.

Attached File(s)
.ptxt  zblock.ptxt (Size: 123 bytes / Downloads: 589)
Jul. 26, 2011, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: Jul. 26, 2011 01:31 AM by zoltan.)
That solved it! Thanks. So the feeling is a little bit of Smile! and Banging Head. I didn't realize anything like that was a factor in the lists. Apparently creation in DOS format is necessary, because I've been saving edited lists with Metapad for a long time and thought all "plain text" editors were alike.