How To Merge Config Files
Jul. 24, 2004, 01:59 AM

Off with you to play your riffs.I think it by the far more enigmatic to refrain from disclosing that which I may or may not know.Furthermore,I promised Shea I would try to abstain from typing inanely and failing to uphold the intellectual high-standards of the forum.

Enjoy the gig,Dude.

????,??,????`????,? _J_G_ ????,??,????`????,?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 24, 2004, 02:41 AM

I just can't resist since it came up. Whenever the thought of the Elvira movies comes up, I just chuckle every time I think about this gag...

Something falls on her (or she bumps into something, or something like that) and a concerned guy says to her, "How's your head?" (LOL...Here it comes...) And she says, "I haven't had any complaints so far."
Jul. 25, 2004, 02:21 AM

Bold_Fortune;

No come back necessary - hell, no come back possible! Good one. [lol]

~~~~~~~~~~~
Jaded_Goth;
Quote:Oddysey,if you're going to send postcards,always remember that they will be franked.Hence,I will be able to tell where they have originated from.
Now who in the word says the word "franked" anymore. And no, none of my postcards will be "franked" - I don't have that privilege. (It's reserved to the upper levels of the Legislative and Executive Branches of our government.) To have a postcard, or letter, franked is to have it sent freely - without cost to either the sender or the receiver.

But since you refer to "originate", I'll make the rash assumption that your meaning is: you can always identify me, because my messages will always be marked with a unique identifier. (You actually said "where", but again, I'm assuming that you meant "who".)

In that case, you demonstrate an Elvira's-best-attribute-sized hole in your knowledge of In-tard-net security. I can most certainly spoof my identity, almost anywhere, and nearly anytime. You can too, if you think about it. Not a problem at all. If it weren't so easy, we wouldn't have any spamming problems - someone would simply walk up to the identified spammer's front door, and shortly thereafter they'd walk away from a horizontal former spammer. A few episodes of that, and spamming would end overnight.

No my little pretty, you won't be getting me, unless I choose to sit for you like the proverbial duck. (Mixed metaphors, what can I say.)

But why would I want to run and hide, when it's so much more fun to taunt you out in the open?! Big Teeth

BTW, the "gig" went well. It's an open-mic jam session, held every Friday night at a local House of Oddities. You may draw any inferences you might wish, they would certainly be appropriate. [rolleyes]

Gotta run and copy the rest of the mail. Waiting with 'bated breath for your next installment.....

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jul. 25, 2004, 10:54 PM

Fair play to ya.The word does indeed appear to have undergone a semantic shift since me Grandma used it in the 1970's.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content...mediaId=3100008

Jul. 25, 2004, 11:00 PM

I just figure anything Jaded_Goth says that I don't understand is quaint and British.
Jul. 25, 2004, 11:07 PM

Nah,mate.S'nuffink but cobblers!

Jul. 26, 2004, 06:43 AM

Quote:Nah,mate.S'nuffink but cobblers!
Huh? [blink] Quaint that probably wasn't, even if it was British.

~~~~~~~~
Jaded_Goth;

Don't trust me on this - I'm totally unsure about any facts, so I just made 'em up as I went along......

As it probably happens, I'd bet that the shift in definitions occured on your side of the pond, and quite likely it was a long time ago. Probably even before your grandpappy was born.

In your parlance, to "frank" is to affix postage, right? (Is the definition restricted to automatic methods only, or does it also include the hand application of a stamp?) In the colonies, it's sort of the reverse scenario. To "frank" is to force the Post Office to deliver something for free.

This freebie is a fringe benefit of holding a high office. Never did figure out that one, but then again, our Constitution also states that our nation's government will be responsible for "a postal system" and that postcards <span style='color:red'>will</span> cost only one penny, and that first class letters <span style='color:red'>will</span> cost only two, count 'em, two pennies. No Amendment has been placed into law that allows those figures to rise, but they sure have risen. Stands to "reason", doesn't it, that the people who can most afford to pay for their outgoing letters don't have to pay at all. [huh] Banging Head

Argh, I'm falling into a political diatribe.... gotta break that habit. Signing off until I can get my Rx re-filled.

Oddysey

Jul. 26, 2004, 10:00 AM

No..oh..I am weary..fading fast,but I'll explain.

The "Franking Mark" or "Frank Mark" or "Frank" used to mean that black ink circular thing that was printed over the stamp to prove postage had been paid,that the letter did indeed have a stamp,and was thus able to continue on its journey.It also prevented people from steaming the stamps off envelopes then re-using them.

EDIT:O.K. This is what "me Grandma" spoke of.I knew what she meant.

Jul. 27, 2004, 07:34 AM

Quote:The "Franking Mark" or "Frank Mark" or "Frank" used to mean that black ink circular thing that was printed over the stamp to prove postage had been paid,that the letter did indeed have a stamp,and was thus able to continue on its journey.It also prevented people from steaming the stamps off envelopes then re-using them.
We call that cancellation, or a cancellation mark.
Jul. 27, 2004, 07:51 AM

Jaded_Goth;

OK, so we're actually much closer in definitions than I had thought.

I see that you are getting tired of this, so I'll leave it with this synopsis: We use the same mark to demonstrate that the affixed postage was indeed affixed, and that it was accepted as proper by duly appointed postal authorities. All well and good.

But we go one step further. Congressmen get to have that mark stamped, even though they don't have to affix any postage. The letter goes out for free. That's what I mean by "reserved for Congressmen and others of equally high office."

Although now that I think about it.... you initiated this train of thought with your statment that with the message being franked, the sender could be identified. That is true - if a Congressman franks his mail, then the recipient will know for sure that a poor working slob didn't sent it - it has no stamp, yet it arrived without any postage due. Since only a Congressman can do that, Voila! Instant identification!

See, we do think alike, you and I. Not too bad for a couple of old spods, eh? :o [lol]

Oddysey

Jul. 27, 2004, 06:29 PM

Yes,Dear.

Actually,I wasn't thinking of P.I.D.All the postage mark~cancellation mark~will do is betray the point of origin.

Oddysey,you mentioned La-La Land several eons ago.I was urging caution when mailing letters from your local P.O...*This is getting painful*.

Siamese Cat,thanks for the definition/translation.God Bless America.Without America,there'd be no N.Y.P.D. Blue.People are too quick to forget that,at times.

Jul. 27, 2004, 10:18 PM

Jaded_Goth;
Quote:All the postage mark~cancellation mark~will do is betray the point of origin.
If it's not been smudged by further handling! :P

in re: Mailing letters from my local P.O.....

I don't use that service anymore. I can honestly say that with one exception, I haven't hand-written, let alone mailed, a letter in over 14 years, not since I first started using email in late 1989. (I still have all my email archives from that point up until now, believe it or don't! [Can you say 'anal retentive', boys and girls? [rolleyes]])

The one exception was to my only remaining aunt, who considered computers a nuisance, and wouldn't touch 'em. After nearly 6 more years of that, she took up with her sister (my mother, who had already passed on), and not since then have I touched a stamp or envelope. Good riddance to 'em, I say. Too much cramping of my widdle hannie! <_<

Oddysey

Jul. 28, 2004, 07:59 AM

Jaded Goth,
Quote:Siamese Cat,thanks for the definition/translation.God Bless America.
Hey, I was talking about Canada.
Jul. 28, 2004, 12:14 PM

(Why did I keep reading along?)
Jul. 28, 2004, 12:51 PM

Siamesecat Wrote:Jaded Goth,
Quote:Siamese Cat,thanks for the definition/translation.God Bless America.
Hey, I was talking about Canada.
Even better,Dear.

You gave the world Ike out of South Park.