filter to block side bar ads
Aug. 06, 2012, 04:46 AM
filter to block side bar ads
Hi can someone please post a filter to block these ad's which moves in from the right hand side at the bottom when you scroll down.?
like on this site for example.
http://www.vikitech.com/686/top-18-firef...b-tracking

I have added Attachment screenie as well.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  side.jpg (Size: 29.63 KB / Downloads: 696)
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 06, 2012, 02:25 PM
RE: filter to block side bar ads
Try

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "vikitech slide in"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)www.vikitech.com"
Limit = 2560
Match = "<div id=$AV(upprev_box)*<!-- #upprev_box -->"
Replace = "<!-- PROX #upprev_box REMOVED-->"

HTH
Aug. 07, 2012, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 07, 2012 03:43 AM by arran777.)
Hi Joe looks like that filter is only for vikitech.com site.

are you able to post a filter for all websites? because those slide in type ad's are becoming very popular on the internet now.
Aug. 07, 2012, 11:20 AM
then just change the "URL =" line
Code:
URL = "$TYPE(htm)"
that should do it,
read the proxomitron help, it should help the basic for most noob out-there.
Aug. 07, 2012, 11:22 AM
ENABLE ! |||||||||||| 7.1 Block all Scripts 10.10.16 [sd] (o.3) (Out)

Whoala! Problem Solved Smile!

It's a "virtual IMPOSSIBILITY" to code a filter that will catch ALL of these SCRIPT-BEHAVIOR actions...

It's a PIECE OF CAKE to just DISABLE ALL SCRIPTS and then "enable" the TEN out of a THOUSAND that you actually "need"...
Aug. 07, 2012, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 07, 2012 11:26 AM by ProxRocks.)
(Aug. 07, 2012 11:20 AM)joey_sw Wrote:  then just change the "URL =" line
Code:
URL = "$TYPE(htm)"
that should do it,
read the proxomitron help, it should help the basic for most noob out-there.

you are assuming that it's the same EXACT slide-in ad s/he is talking about...

i assume s/he is NOT talking about the same EXACT slide-in ad, but the "behavior" of an ad "sliding in" - which can ONLY be blocked "on ALL sites" by DISABLING SCRIPTS BY DEFAULT...
Aug. 07, 2012, 07:51 PM
(Aug. 07, 2012 03:42 AM)arran777 Wrote:  are you able to post a filter for all websites? because those slide in type ad's are becoming very popular on the internet now.

I think you are using the filters that come with the Proxomitron aka Scott's set?

"upPrev" appears to be a WordPress plugin, http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/uppr...in-button/ .

I suspect most site will use some generic version of it. So, a generic web page filter that targets the box (like already posted) might remove this "feature" from many other sites.

The script is http://www.vikitech.com/wp-content/plugins/upprev-nytimes-style-next-post-jquery-animated-fly-in-button/upprev_js.php?ver=3.4.1 . So, you could (or also) target keywords in a typical address with a web filter

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Remove upPrev wordpress plugin"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)"
Bounds = "<script*</script>"
Limit = 256
Match = "*/upprev_js.php*"

AND/OR a header filter

Code:
[HTTP headers]
In = FALSE
Out = TRUE
Key = "! : RDIR: block upPrev"
URL = "*upprev_js.php"
Replace = "Killed\k$LOG(!RGET $DTM(c) : upPrev blocked URL: \u)"

None of the above addresses slide-ins like but not upPrev. As ProxRocks says, javascript provides many ways to do/hide these things. I don't see common code to target without consequences.

My (sidki's) set controls timed events with a button that appears near the bottom of the page. I must click this button to see the upPrev box. Not easily added to Scott's set.

For the sidki set, http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1870
My opinion, all ads can't be blocked with out disturbing content and not all upPrev boxes are ads. upPrev will be left to the "Timer" button or the user.

HTH
Aug. 07, 2012, 11:04 PM
(Aug. 07, 2012 07:51 PM)JJoe Wrote:  I think you are using the filters that come with the Proxomitron aka Scott's set?

it's UNFORTUNATE that newbie users tend to "start with" an ANCIENT ANTIQUATED OBSOLETE DINOSAUR of a config set...
that is NOT to disrepect the "original" config set - BUT...

should not our download links state something to the effect that Proxo is only as good as the "config" it loads and that the "original" default config is from 2003 ?

Whistling Banging Head

how many "first-time users" have abandoned Proxo because that "original" config really isn't "good enough" nearly a DECADE later?
Aug. 08, 2012, 03:01 AM
(Aug. 07, 2012 11:04 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  how many "first-time users" have abandoned Proxo because

I think this exists regardless of the set. "good enough" for whom? Users want different things. Some want the impossible. Wink

Users should spend some time using Scott's set, reading the files in the help and docs folders, and studying the code that creates webpages. After some time, the inadequacies of all may become apparent or not. (Some of the old folk still use the original filters Smile! )

The sidki set lets people lean on more experienced users. It attempts to address some of the inadequacies but does contain 'magic' that may complicate things.

(Aug. 07, 2012 11:04 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  should not our download links state something to the effect

Some are sent here for the sidki set. I suspect most others find this site after downloading the Proxomitron.

You could advertise. Your post signature could contain a link to your preferred cfg.
Aug. 08, 2012, 03:59 AM
(Aug. 08, 2012 03:01 AM)JJoe Wrote:  Your post signature could contain ...

too funny...
i mean from the sense that my config DELETES "signatures" on every forum i read that has the dang nuisances, lol...

some people are just waaayyy too "in your face" with their overly colorful sig lines...
and some "car-guy" forums have pictures in the sig line that take up two thirds of a very large LCD widescreen...

AXE 'EM...
i've *NEVER* witnessed a sig line that i "needed" to see Big Teeth

okay, that was off topic... again, lol...
Aug. 10, 2012, 08:04 AM
(Aug. 07, 2012 11:22 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  ENABLE ! |||||||||||| 7.1 Block all Scripts 10.10.16 [sd] (o.3) (Out)

Whoala! Problem Solved Smile!

It's a "virtual IMPOSSIBILITY" to code a filter that will catch ALL of these SCRIPT-BEHAVIOR actions...

It's a PIECE OF CAKE to just DISABLE ALL SCRIPTS and then "enable" the TEN out of a THOUSAND that you actually "need"...

Actually I have just found that it is not impossible to block the side bar ad's without completely blocking java script.

I am using Sidki ruleset but his rules don't have any rules to block the side bar ad's. But I have just found out by using the original proxomitron default install rules in web page filters the rule called
"Stop Java Script Timers" blocks the side bar ad's.
confirmed on these 2 other sites as well with the ad box sliding in from the bottom right hand side as your scroll down.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-...ction.aspx
http://pandithnews.com/2012/08/09/assad-...emier.html

I shell add the "Stop Java Script Timers" rule to Sidki's ruleset

problem solved.
Aug. 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
sidki's default set-up already blocks those...
you should see a "timer" button in the lower left corner - click on that "timer" button and the ads will slide in...

but by default, the ads are BLOCKED, the java script timer is "disabled" until the user clicks on a button...

if i were you, i'd remove the "Stop Java Script Timers" rule and find out why your sidki config isn't doing what it is supposed to do by default, you've disabled something that was enabled by default...
Aug. 22, 2012, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 22, 2012 07:17 AM by sbk.)
I'm using Grypen, and have never seen a side slider. I have seen a large squarish popover, mostly in 2011, and on sites I've never visited before or again. To fix that, I toggled css off, or toggled js off then reloaded the tab.
(Note to anyone just coming to this prxbx tread by chance web search: If the page looks sketchy, I turn off javascript, then close the tab. Don't click the "Close" in the popover.)
Quickjava extension has toggle buttons for css, js, and other firefox options. Use version 1.7.5. The later 1.8 has a bug where the hidden buttons can still be mistakenly clicked. I put the update url in proxo UrlKill file to prevent firefox updating to 1.8.
More recently, I also began using Noscript extension.