Google Search form area is colored, obscuring entered text
Mar. 30, 2013, 02:17 AM
Google Search form area is colored, obscuring entered text
The form area after searching has become colored in some of my older browsers, specifically IE6 and Opera 9.64. So I can't see what I have entered for search terms. Also the Google logo image appears to be two seperate images. The home page is fine. See my attachments.

I am using the alternate display with the dark blue theme.

Can anything be done? Can I provide some more info as I doubt anyone is using my specific browsers on my old system?

Thanks.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Search.jpg (Size: 49.41 KB / Downloads: 635)
.jpg  Home.jpg (Size: 29.71 KB / Downloads: 625)
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 30, 2013, 02:57 AM
RE: Google Search form area is colored, obscuring entered text
i "maintain" a public set of Google filters that *replaces* the old-no-longer-maintained set you are using...

mind giving them a try?
they're over here - http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1912
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ProxRocks for this post:
dave
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:02 AM
Are you using http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2042
?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to JJoe for this post:
dave
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 30, 2013 09:43 AM by dave.)
Wink RE: Google Search form area is colored, obscuring entered text
Thanks ProxRocks and JJoe.

Both of your suggestions do the trick. See attachments.

ProxRocks, as you can see, the dark blue theme works with your filters. I did not see any problems in a short work out. The preview function works fine. The problem I did have was finding the toggle buttons with your theme. They were there but invisible. This is in IE6. I checked out your latest updates and tried those but they broke the search bar as the text was so small it was invisible.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  search-ProxRocks.jpg (Size: 53.08 KB / Downloads: 659)
.jpg  search-JJoe.jpg (Size: 51.18 KB / Downloads: 651)
Mar. 30, 2013, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: Mar. 30, 2013 12:31 PM by ProxRocks.)
my theme is not intended to work with the three themes that came with sidki's set originally, but if you got it to work and you're good-to-go, that's all that matters Smile!

i've also moved the toggle buttons since that post (they're in my 'in-process' thread and not yet in the "how to install" thread, guess i'll update that while i'm thinking about it, the differences are minor, but the toggle button locations is one of the updates)...

would be a good time for me to update it anyway, Google changed they way they show .pdf and weather results, so i have an update to make anyway...
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ProxRocks for this post:
dave
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: Mar. 30, 2013 05:38 PM by dave.)
ProxRocks:

The problem I had with your filters was from the 'in process thread'.

I updated completely from your current, finished set and in IE6 the search form has text that is unseeable because it is so tiny. I'm sorry but I neglected to take a screenshot and I also deleted those updates from the config. Sad

I am, however, completely satisfied with the results from the finished set. Smile!

EDIT POST:
OK. I saw the new 3-30 set and tried it to post some screenshots. This is with IE6 and as you can see, the problem with the form is major.

Opera looks fine.

HTH

Attached File(s)
.jpg  IE6 Search - Top of page.jpg (Size: 14.4 KB / Downloads: 601)
.jpg  IE6 Search - Scroll down once.jpg (Size: 95.39 KB / Downloads: 601)
.jpg  Opera Search.jpg (Size: 83.93 KB / Downloads: 658)
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:02 PM
wow!...
yeah, i guess i'm surprised it's like that in IE6 but not sure if i'll do a fix for IE6 or not, maybe if i get really bored some weekend, lol...
Apr. 02, 2013, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: Apr. 02, 2013 12:53 AM by sbk.)
(Mar. 30, 2013 04:00 PM)dave Wrote:  ...
EDIT POST:
OK. I saw the new 3-30 set and tried it to post some screenshots. This is with IE6 and as you can see, the problem with the form is major.

Opera looks fine.

I would try this:
While in IE6, with all proxo filters enabled, save the page with all the files:
Web page, complete (*.htm, *.html)

Open the saved html in a browser, then use "web developer" tools to find the style that IE6 fails.

IE6
I don't know if IE6 can edit html and css with instant results, or only edit and reload. (I never tried anything but browsing in IE6.)
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22intern...e+Dev%22++
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22intern...oper+tools
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...x?id=18359
Supported in IE6 or IE7, but in "Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP"

http://sixrevisions.com/tools/internet_e...evelopers/

Opera has Dragonfly for web developers. It's in View>Developer Tools>Dragonfly (Ctrl Shift I). I haven't tried Dragonfly.
Or context click the web page, command "Source" will open the html in a new tab.
You can directly edit each element. If there is a style in input, edit it.
<input ((leave this other stuff)) style="((stuff)) background-color:lime!important;"></input>
or add the style
<input ((leave this other stuff)) style="background-color:lime!important;"></input>
Then click the icon Apply Changes. Go back to the webpage tab and see the style changed. Or menu Window> Tile Horizontally (or Vertically)
There have been portable Opera for years.

I use Style Inspector/Style Editor in Firefox. Older Firefox (Win 2000 or Win9x) had DOM Inspector and/or extensions. Portableapps has old portable versions.
Apr. 02, 2013, 02:31 AM
iv'e found a few "portable" ie6's that while the 'reviews' are mixed, my fingers are crossed...
won't have time to check them for a day or two...
but if they work, it'll be an easy way to provide ie6 support for my google theme filters...
Apr. 02, 2013, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: Apr. 02, 2013 04:35 AM by dave.)
Thanks sbk and ProxRocks.

I've never used developer tools but now I understand the reason for them: easy and quick preview. Might be worth looking into. I am not in any way competent in writing web pages. Sure I have a basic understanding and usually can figure out what to look for. Fixing and copying the easy stuff is my strong point which is to say I am just a neophyte.

I have mixed and matched ProxRocks filters so that I have a config with those that does not have the unusual spacing and sizing that the screenshots show.

At least now thanks to ProxRocks and JJoe I have 2 alternate Google displays where I can read the form area.

I also happened upon a real easy Google alternate display based solely on the UA we give them. All bells and whistles are gone so it loads quickly. Now if I were a competent developer, I might use this as the staring point for another alternate display. But alas, I'm not. Smile!

Exceptions-U entry:

Code:
www.google.com/    $SET(0=f_ua_§Mozilla/1%2e22 (compatible; MSIE 2%2e0; Windows 95).)
Apr. 02, 2013, 11:54 AM
i'll try that UA and check it out...

yeah, the UA trick is something i use on a lot of sites to keep a more simple view instead of the "new" web site views that looks like some sort of GAME that a FOUR-YEAR old would spend the day on...

i've been toying around with the notion of a more "simple" alternate display theme pack (my theme pack has THIRTEEN filters and relies on "added" html)... i could probably get more people to use it if it weren't so "heavy"...

i kinda doubt that i will though, i find the theme FAR too USEFUL 'as-is'...
i want the added coloring 'cause i "can't" click on pdf/xls/doc links on ALL of my computers, for example...