Proxo drastically limits download speed on Windows 8
Dec. 17, 2013, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: Dec. 17, 2013 01:28 AM by Mele20a.)
Proxo drastically limits download speed on Windows 8
I've had Windows 8.0 Pro for a year now on a one year old computer. I've lived with this weird, awful Proxo/Win 8 problem for a year now by having Opera 12.5 use a direct connection to the internet and I have tried to download everything from Opera and not use it otherwise (Firefox 17.0.11 ESR is my default browser). With a direct connection to the internet and a fast download server, I get 3500 KB/sec average on a 30/5 connection (which is pretty good for being in Hawaii). If I use Firefox, SeaMonkey or IE 10 for the download (all use Proxo) at the MOST I get 450KB/sec download speed. Bypassing Proxo does NOT improve the download speed. I have to actually change the connection to a direct internet connection to achieve a download speed without the 450KB/sec cap that Proxo places on it (or Windows 8 places on it-not sure what is causing the problem).

Is there some way to fix this? I need to upgrade Fx to version 24 ESR (as ver 17 went unsupported on Dec 10) but I want to do it from within Fx and I don't want to have to set a direct connection to the internet to get a decent download speed. I pay a good amount to have 30/5 Time Warner Cable connection so I feel frustrated. The cap when filtering through Proxo doesn't noticeably affect ordinary browsing....just downloads of programs. Plus, Opera 12.5 is getting old. I will not use Opera 15x (even just for downloads unless bookmarks and other configurability is brought back).

For the record, Dell would not sell me the computer I wanted with Win 7 Pro so I've spent a year in Microsoft hell trying to get Win 8 Pro to work decently (adding Start8, WindowBlinds, never visiting Metro side (uninstalled all the Metro apps, disabled UAC in the registry so the apps can't be accessed anyway), etc and things are going pretty well now so I want to fix this Proxo problem. I may never upgrade to Win 8.1). I'm hoping that by now some of you will have Windows 8 and can tell me how to fix this.

This problem exists on all config files from Scott's last ones to the current Sidki 2011 12/22 rc1. BTW, I still have my old XP Pro machine and when I use it, I get full download speed on any browser and Proxo is enabled on all browsers on that machine.
(Posting as Mele20a instead of Mele20 because this board would not accept my password so I rejoined).
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 17, 2013, 09:40 AM
RE: Proxo drastically limits download speed on Windows 8
Ugh, you "voluntarily" went to Win8?

Ok, that aside, lol, and though I do not (and never will!?) have Win8, it is my "understanding" that there are TWO Internet Explorer's in Win8, a "start" version and a "desktop" version.

And it is my understanding that NO, one is just not a "shortcut" to the other, the TWO are SEPARATE.

I cannot confirm this - I do not (and never will!?) use Win8...

Not sure if it is "important" or not, in that you are not using IE in the first place...

BUT keep in mind that Proxo uses IE's proxy settings as a "fallback" even if you use a different (non-IE) web browser with (or without) its own proxy settings...

So I would go into BOTH the "desktop" and the "start" IE on your Sin8, er, I mean Win8, and make sure that BOTH have the proxy settings set correctly...

Just an outright guess at this stage...
Though yeah, I am ecstatic to hear about the existence of "Start8" Smile!
Dec. 17, 2013, 12:17 PM
Dell said that the video card I had been waiting all summer for them to offer for the machine I wanted to buy since April 2012 (XPS 8500) would not work on Win 7Pro which made no sense. Dell had offered only ATI cards for the XPS8500 since it came out in April 2012. I wanted an nVidia card. My XP Pro computer appeared to be dying that summer so I was very anxious to get a new computer. Finally, in November 2012 Dell offered a good nVidia card (GeForce GTX 660) so I bought this machine the day Win 8 became available and Dell said the video card was specific to Win 8.

Yes, there is an Internet Explorer on the Metro side which I have never used. None of the apps available on Metro side are available to me as I uninstalled all of them except IE and Microsoft store which could not be uninstalled. Then I disabled UAC in the registry. Doing that meant that I cannot even use Microsoft store to upgrade to 8.1 if I decide to do that. I don't boot to those atrocious tiles. I boot, using Stardock's Start8, directly to the desktop and I have Windows 7 start menu. The ONLY time I have to access Metro side (which I do from a link in Start8) is if I need to boot via USB stick. With Windows 8 you cannot boot to Safe Mode unless you are already booted into Windows and then you can access Safe Mode from Metro side. Isn't that absurd? So, I installed a program to restores the ability to boot to safe mode or boot normally so I don't need to access Metro side for that even. I totally avoid Metro side. So, I have no idea what Metro side IE is like. I can't use it since I disabled UAC in the registry and I don't want to ever use it anyway as it is full screen only! UGH. And it doesn't have the security protections that are on IE on the desktop.

I'm not sure Proxo would even work on Metro IE. In order to see, I would need to reenable UAC in the registry which I suppose I could do temporarily but if I do that others have told me that I will immediately be bombarded with messages from Microsoft telling me to upgrade to 8.1 (you can only upgrade via Microsoft Store which is accessible only on Metro side and only if UAC is enabled). But I never thought about the fact Proxo uses IE settings even when using other browsers. But then how come Fx, SeaMonkey and IE desktop if I configure them to a direct connection they get the correct download speed if Proxo is still affecting them even though I have configured them to not use Proxo?

I am having so many problems now with Proxo and the website where I spend 80% of my time. Just now I upgraded SeaMonkey to the latest version and I cannot upload screenshots at my main site. The button doesn't work. I had to go use Opera with a direct connection for the button to work. There is so much javascript now that Proxo chokes on. It is becoming very difficult to use Proxo especially at dslreports.com which has been my home page, main site since 2001. I need to upgrade Fx 17.0.11 ESR to the latest ESR version (24) as 17 is now unsupported by Mozilla. I'm scared that will make Proxo unusable at most sites on Firefox.
Dec. 17, 2013, 03:55 PM
Have you patched the Proxomitron exe for the RWIN limited problem?
This limits xp pro sp2 through WIN7 download speeds. I haven't checked Win8.

N45jRWIN.exe and N45mRWIN.exe patches are attached. Patches' readme follows. Readme is dated.

HTH

Quote:***********************The Problem*******************************************
If you are reading this then you probably know that Proxomitron can set RWIN to 32768.
http://kyeu.info/proxo/forums/viewtopic.php?t=641
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/prox-list/message/22257

To test your Operating System, go to http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php
Check the value of RWIN, with and without using Proxomitron.

Windows XP SP2 or Server 2003 with Proxomitron probably show 32768.
Windows 95, 98, 98SE, or 2000 with Proxomitron probably do not.
When Proxomitron uses another local proxy like
Browser -->Proxomitron-->Proxy-->ISP
the "correct" RWIN is probably shown.

***********************The Patches*******************************************
There are patches that may return control of RWIN to Windows at
http://wind.prohosting.com/proxmine/cgi-bin/uploader/ .
Our Japanese friends have been using them for approximately a year.
A translation of the ReadMe in PmU_0341.zip is below.

N45jRWIN.exe and N45mRWIN.exe use the same method the Japanese patches use.
They also add a disclaimer to Proxomitron's "About" screen.

To install a patch:
Make a backup copy of the Proxomitron exe.
Execute N45jRWIN.exe to alter the *June* version of Proxomitron Naoko 4.5.
Execute N45mRWIN.exe to alter the *May* version of Proxomitron Naoko 4.5.
Visit the "About" screen and verify the info.

Report problems caused by the patch to your favorite Proxomitron forum or the Prox-List.
Guest posts are allowed at http://kyeu.info/proxo/forums/index.php

***********************Explanation********************************************
[Letter has been edited]
Hi,

I'm count_b, the webmaster of Proxomitron-J.

jjoe bugg <jjoebugg@> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am jjoebugg of the Prox-List, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/prox-list/ .
>
> XP SP2 limits RWIN to 32768.
>
> Does the Proxomitron RWIN Patch at
> http://wind.prohosting.com/proxmine/cgi-...U_0341.zip
> fix this?

I read the readme.txt and checked the referred article on a Japanese BBS.
They said it fixes the RWIN limit.
http://web.archive.org/web/2004113021481...092672987/

This is the patched address...

*Naoko 4.5 June
FILENAME Proxomitron.exe
0000D581: 04

*Naoko 4.5 May
FILENAME Proxomitron.exe
0000D521: 04

In detail they said this patch changes the argument of SetSockOpt.
Original Proxomitron uses this value...
nOptionLen : 04

And this patch changes...
nOptionLen : 00

I am not programmer so I don't know what that means.

> Can it be used on the original exe?

Yes. But the exe filename should be "Proxomitron.exe"

> Who is the author?

That is anonymous BBS so I can't find out who the author is.

Thanks,
count_b
[/Letter]

The SetSockOpt command can be used to set the "receive window size" on a per-socket basis.
For reasons still unknown, the command does that on some but not all Windows systems.
Setting nOptionLen to 0 nullifies the socket option and returns control of RWIN to Windows.

***********************A Request*********************************************
Everybody should be very careful. Proxomitron is not our program.
If a patched exe got loose and caused trouble, Scott would likely catch the blame.
Do not share or distribute patched EXEs.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/prox-list/message/16401
Date: Thu Jul 3, 2003 3:08 pm
Subject: Modified versions of Proxomitron
Modified versions of Proxomitron are explicitly NOT permitted to be
distributed according to it's license.

Regards,

Scott

***********************PmU_0341.zip ReadMe************************************
[Translation]
These executable files apply the patch of 509 person in
Proxomitron Part23 at
http://pc5.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/win/1092672987/

For Proxomitron Naoko 4.5 June, use PatN45June.exe
For Proxomitron Naoko 4.5 May, use PatN45May.exe

After copying to the folder where Proxomitron is installed please execute.
[/Translation]

To see the 509th post in Proxomitron Part23 use:
http://web.archive.org/web/2004113021481...092672987/

Attached File(s)
.zip  N45RWIN.zip (Size: 96.53 KB / Downloads: 618)
Dec. 19, 2013, 05:46 AM
(Dec. 17, 2013 09:40 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  Win8...
it is my "understanding" that there are TWO Internet Explorer's in Win8, a "start" version and a "desktop" version.

Programs tab of internet options. I think Win8 installed default choice is "Let Internet Explorer decide". I set favorites to always open in desktop IE.
http://b2b.cbsimg.net/gallery/6370859-417-540.jpg
https://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/ieblo...ows8_1.png

I used the trial Win8. I think I ran Firefox and Proxo. As I recall, Win8 seemed to run fast enough on a 2005 PC, but I never installed any antivirus, and didn't modify Win8's firewall settings.
I also don't recall the hyper-paranoid UAC as in Vista.

Classicshell fixes most file explorer defects, but I was never able to tweak Win8 to work as well as XP.
Dec. 20, 2013, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: Dec. 20, 2013 11:27 AM by Mele20a.)
I TOTALLY forgot about the Proxo RWIN patch. I did that so many years ago on my XP Pro machine that I had completely forgotten about it so I didn't do it when I installed Proxo on Windows 8. I never look at "About" in Proxo since there haven't been any new Proxo versions in many years.

I changed the RWIN on Windows 8 last year when I upgraded my ISP speed tier from 15/1 to 20/2 and again a few months ago when my ISP bumped me up to 30/5 from 20/2. I changed it using Dr.tcp after running Tweak Tester at dslreports. Even without the Proxo RWIN patch, Tweak Tester was showing (and still shows after I did the Proxo patch and used Fx where Proxo is filtering) RWIN : 2338816. But speedguide.net was showing BEFORE I did the patch RWIN: 32768 using Opera where I have a direct connection and no Proxo at all as well as on Fx where I do use Proxo and now it shows RWIN: 65536. I don't think it is right before or now. The reason I don't think it is accurate for Windows 8 is because after I installed the patch, I downloaded Windows Defender definitions from http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal...s/adl.aspx like I have been doing every night about this time using Opera 12.15 with a direct connection to the internet. But this time I downloaded them using Fx.

Using Fx 17.0.11 ESR and the patch installed, I just got 4.1MB/sec download (32.8mbps). My cap is 30mbps down but we all get over the cap especially late at night and in the afternoons. So, a whole year having this problem because I had completely forgotten about the need for this RWIN patch. I should have asked here sooner. At least it is fixed now and if anyone else is getting a Windows 8 computer who uses Proxo and may have forgotten about this patch because they too are coming from XP and installed this patch there many years ago, maybe they will see this thread and remember to install the patch.

Thanks so much JJoe and everyone here! Smile!
Dec. 27, 2013, 05:25 AM
(Dec. 17, 2013 12:17 PM)Mele20a Wrote:  I am having so many problems now with Proxo and the website where I spend 80% of my time. Just now I upgraded SeaMonkey to the latest version and I cannot upload screenshots at my main site. The button doesn't work. I had to go use Opera with a direct connection for the button to work. There is so much javascript now that Proxo chokes on. It is becoming very difficult to use Proxo especially at dslreports.com which has been my home page, main site since 2001. I need to upgrade Fx 17.0.11 ESR to the latest ESR version (24) as 17 is now unsupported by Mozilla. I'm scared that will make Proxo unusable at most sites on Firefox.

Start a new thread for dslreports but does

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Add a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target. (fail) [add]"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TST(hCT=*html)$SET(1=a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target.)$SET(keyword=$GET(keyword)\1)$LOG(VGET $DTM(c) : Silent Keywords: \1)$LOG(VGET $DTM(c) : All Keywords: $GET(keyword))PrxFail$TST()"
Limit = 1
Match = "$STOP(This switch defaults to active in Light Mode and above)"

help?