Adblock questions
May. 28, 2015, 08:37 PM
Adblock questions
Hi,

I have some questions about Proxomitron. Currently, I use Ad-block, NoScript, Ghostery & Remove It Permanently plugins for FF. On occasion I come across issues that these plugins can't rectify. For Example:

When I go to bigfishgames.com there's always a big (pop-up) ad box on the main page and it's sub-categories. It goes away if you login because it's controlled by a cookie but I hate tracking; so I only login when I'm ready to purchase something. With Adblock, it removes the ad but not the box (I think this is called a placeholder?). If I use Remove It Permanently, it removes it but reappears when I come back to the page. (so much for being permanent).

Can Proxomitron remove these ads along with their placeholders? I don't get html, it's all greek to me, so I would need a filter that already exists (or if someone was willing to help me create one). Will it conflict with the FF plugins?

Finally, is it possible to disable\turn off Youtube's autoplay? Since they re-coded their website, none of the FF plugins work any more. Thanks.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
May. 30, 2015, 02:07 AM (This post was last modified: May. 30, 2015 02:08 AM by JJoe.)
RE: Adblock questions
Welcome,

(May. 28, 2015 08:37 PM)wildPebble Wrote:  Can Proxomitron remove these ads along with their placeholders?

My Proxomitron handles the pop-up ad at bigfishes and its box. Without the Proxomitron, the ad was dismissed by a click and did not return until cookies were cleared.

(May. 28, 2015 08:37 PM)wildPebble Wrote:  I don't get html, it's all greek to me, so I would need a filter that already exists (or if someone was willing to help me create one).

This could be a problem with or without the Proxomitron. Wink

(May. 28, 2015 08:37 PM)wildPebble Wrote:  Will it conflict with the FF plugins?

I have not studied or used the FF plugins. However...
As a proxy, the Proxomitron sees the the incoming traffic first, so it could conflict.
The plugins could conflict with scripts that the Proxomitron may add.

(May. 28, 2015 08:37 PM)wildPebble Wrote:  Finally, is it possible to disable\turn off Youtube's autoplay? Since they re-coded their website, none of the FF plugins work any more.

Our old flash filters don't work either...
I'm not sure but since I still have Opera's flash toggle, I'll guess a flash toggle is possible. Autoplay may depend on youtube's player.
I haven't tried to create a HTML5 toggle.
May. 31, 2015, 11:59 AM
RE: Adblock questions
not sure if it helps or not, but the *ONLY* way i *EVER* visit YouTube is if the video is a search result within a Google search

and my Google search filters play that video with a click from within the search results, i never even leave Google to watch the YouTube video