Maxthon Browser Safety?
Aug. 15, 2004, 01:10 PM

Hi "Guyz",
I downloaded the New Maxthon (MYIE revised) browser. And now when I use "I.E", in the Proxo Log window I noticed that there is a browser extension that says it's "Maxthon". :o
Quote:User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; Maxthon)

I know that Maxthon is just an IE interface, but I thought it was strange that it added that to IE. I also notice that when I used the Maxthon browser, that it contacts the MYIE2 site. Here is from My firewall log;
Quote:8/15/04 8:54:35 AM www.myie2.com Cache hit 203.117.178.18 <---(link disabled for the forum)
Now the thing about it is, . .that it doesn't do this every time I open the browser.
I became suspious of MyIE2 beta a year or so ago when I noticed that the last version I used was contacting their site every time I opened it. I could block that site in My host file, but I'm debating if I should keep it or not, this *smells* alot like spyware to Me. No matter how good a "proggie" is, if it's acting like "E.T." and phoning home I'm very skeptical of it. Has anybody else notice this?

Best Wishes,
"Jak" =:-)
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 15, 2004, 02:37 PM

Interesting...

I abandoned MyIE2 when Sleipnir was brought to my attention...
I've been meaning to give Maxthon a trial run, just haven't been able to get to it yet... Still intend to, but will keep my eye on this thread in the meantime...

My "hunch" is that there is an "autoupdate" feature or something that if you can disable it will prevent those 'phone homes'... Just a hunch...
Aug. 15, 2004, 08:06 PM

I'm using MyIE2 today and Im not seeing any phoning home, but I have the option of "check for new version on startup" unchecked. I'll keep watching though.