Proxomitron Reborn
Dec. 27, 2019, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: Jan. 05, 2020 03:10 PM by DullFace.)
RE: Proxomitron Reborn
(Dec. 26, 2019 01:07 AM)amy Wrote:  - Name new blocklist as file name instead of NewItem
A small feature request, which seemed safe to do as I doubt anyone was relying on NewItem being the name.
Thanks. I forgot to add "without extension", but delete it is simpler than writing new meaningful name :-D

-------

My config contains custom AccessRange (i experimented long time ago), in configration dialog i choosed "limit access to only this PC"
Code:
AccessRange = 123.0.0.0-255.255.255.255
Port = 65535
When i press 'abort' button, in log window appears 2 lines, second matches with first number in AccessRange:
Code:
Listening on port 65535
Listening on port 123
And i have issues with proxy - ProxomitronReborn_4605R don't show connects

I set AccessRange to "0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255" for now (i don't use it anyway).

--------

Reborn limits speed to ~300 KB/s, i remembered about old RWIN patch and did same - speed increased:
Code:
0000AF79: 04 00
It's right after showing message "Can't open client socket"
http://www.proxfilter.net/rwin.html

I forgot about RcvBuf :-D
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to DullFace for this post:
mizzmona
Mar. 08, 2020, 02:51 PM
Pressing 'Abort' somitimes may hung Proxomitron: it writes '-- Aborting --' in status line and stops accepting connections (Error #10061), after pressing 'log window' it writes 'Active connections: 01'.
"can't alter configuration" window appears when i press reload button, 'kill connection' also don't works. After closing it with cross in window corner status changing to "--- Config Reloaded ---".
After "exiting" in main window log window don't disappears, process still stays in memory (task manager shows it), icon in traybar disappears on hovering curson.
I can start second instance from same path - brower start working.
Mar. 08, 2020, 10:16 PM
Regarding "abortion and its side-effects", see my 4th paragraph here:

https://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?...2#pid19702

(tl;dr: known issue, hard to fix, planned to fix... as time allows)
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to amy for this post:
iampowerslave, mizzmona
May. 21, 2020, 12:30 PM
Hi!

I'm shocked. Still using the original Proxomitron and always searching (for several years for a replacement. Will try this one for sure it seems it's been years without searching for it again.

THANKS!
Sep. 25, 2020, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: Sep. 29, 2020 08:28 AM by mizzmona.)
Hi amy, I've been exploring the program more of late on a Win7 laptop and am also developing an update to the PtronGUI for Reborn. A few notes...

In the certificate generator, two labels are flipped; the "O" and "ST" should be switched with each other.

I know you're probably using the program without textures, which is why there aren't any textures assigned to the new dialogs and buttons? Wink If I might suggest...

1. "Certificate Generation and Installation" button under HTTPS config tab - needs the "Button" background;

2. "Existing Certificate" alert dialog - a "Face Two" background, the Proxomitron's icon instead of the alert icon, and the "Button" background on the button;

3. "Generate Certificate" dialog - either a "Face One" or "Face Two" background, and the "Button" background for the button.

I'd also suggest giving the "Existing Certificate" alert it's own resource dialog, too, for language conversion purposes.

UPDATE: THE ISSUE BELOW HAS BEEN RESOLVED.
On another note, I'm getting certificate errors on sites with Proxomitron that I don't get when bypassed. The error occurs on "www.something.com" sites, where the certificate Proxomitron is generating is apparently for "something.com" without the www. This doesn't seem to happen on sites like "subdom.something.com". I can usually tell the browser to ignore it and go on (which adds the Proxomitron cert for it in the browser), but for some sites like "www.facebook.com", the browser (Firefox) won't allow me to do that. I hunted around the threads and didn't see anything about this, but perhaps I just missed it.

I hope that's understandable, anyway.

It's been so quiet, I also hope all is well with everyone here?

-Mona
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to mizzmona for this post:
referrer, defconnect
Sep. 29, 2020, 08:25 AM
Aha! I was playing around sometime back with the command prefix and had last set it to "www." to do some more testing, and then got busy and forgot all about it. Guess what? It was that command prefix that was causing the certificate errors at "www.something.com" sites, I kid you not. I reset that puppy back to my standard command prefix, and now it's all good.

Well, at least we learned something: Don't use a command prefix that might be confused with an actual subdom name. Sheesh.
Mar. 22, 2021, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: Mar. 23, 2021 02:48 AM by cscat.)
Hi @amy, very impressive work. Thanks for Proxo Reborn!

I am very much interested in the methodologies and tools that you used to undertake this project. There are a couple of Windows applications that I'd love to understand how they work and re-implement them / have them re-implemented. The apps I'm interested in are written in Embarcadero / Borland Pascal and I know Proxo is written in VSC++ but still the fundamentals should be similar. I think the community can benefit from the ways you did this, your thought-process etc... the "teaching how to fish" part! I'd appreciate if you can share with us Smile!

All the blessings
Mar. 30, 2021, 02:22 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 30, 2021 02:23 AM by amy.)
It was pretty much just staring at the code in a disassembler while writing the equivalent in C, for about a year. Look up "reverse engineering" if you want to learn more... there's a lot to learn, more than could fit in a single post, and although I've been doing such work for decades, I would still consider myself far from expert.

To everyone else here: yes, I'm still alive, but very busy with other things. Proxomitron stuff is relatively low priority, unless of course I manage to find something that's blocking me in which case I will go ahead and fix it along with whatever else has built up here in the meantime.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to amy for this post:
mizzmona
Apr. 01, 2021, 02:28 PM
cscat, https://github.com/crypto2011/IDR
Jul. 13, 2021, 11:33 AM
How about TLS 1.3 support?
Jul. 17, 2021, 04:35 AM
(Jul. 13, 2021 11:33 AM)dsgfh543 Wrote:  How about TLS 1.3 support?
Sites have only just started to reject <1.2 in any significant number, and there is very little use of 1.3 so far. But definitely another thing for the future, yes.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to amy for this post:
Styx, mizzmona
Dec. 04, 2021, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: Dec. 04, 2021 11:53 PM by mizzmona.)
Hi Amy, I'm inexplicably getting "expired" certificate verification errors for non expired certs fairly often -- for example, here's one for CN=contile.services.mozilla.com

[Image: 9OR8Zw2.png]

Another issue: clicking "Allow" to accept the cert doesn't seem to stick, so they keep popping up (per response). (Nevermind on that.)

I don't know how long this has been an issue as I've mostly been using my phone for Internet access for several months, but it's that time of year when I grab the laptop and use Proxomitron pretty heavily to do online data research from now until mid-May. The sites I access to do that seem okay (thank goodness), but if I visit other sites, it starts to get annoying pretty quick.

I'm not sure how this could be something I've done (?), but if there's a get-around for it, that would be great. If you need more info, let me know.

Anybody else seeing this?

-Mona
Dec. 04, 2021, 09:47 PM
Wait, wasn't there a new blocklist for cert errors for URLs? I seem to recall this being a thing? Not sure how to use it, though. I apparently didn't set one up, anyway.
Dec. 05, 2021, 12:07 AM
Hi, Proxo fans - my first time here!
I've been a long time user (since early 2000's) of the original Proxomitron, but found it gradually got less and less use as sites turned almost universally to https.
Very glad to have recently discovered this forum and the wonderful Proxomitron Reborn, and I'm now using 4.6.0.5R.
Many thanks to amy for the many hours of excellent work on this.

There is something however that puzzles me...
(Dec. 10, 2018 05:39 AM)amy Wrote:  - HTTPS configuration options for cipher suite selection and certificate error bypass
Also present in the new configuration dialog tab are two fields which correspond to two new keywords in the global configuration file section: SslCiphers and BypassCertErrs.
The latter is a flexible way to specify sites which you do not want to be warned of certificate errors with; you can use any of Proxomitron's filtering language to construct an expression which will be matched against the hostname. This means you can use blockfiles too! Leaving this field blank (the default) means it will not match any hostname, and thus the behavour will be unchanged from before.
When I tested this with a cut-down certs.pem file (removing certain certificates I knew to be required), I found that it seems to work the other way round - if the field is left blank, NO certificate errors are ever reported.
I found that for an error to be reported, I had to set the field to something that would not match, eg 'NONE'.
Can it be that, rather than not matching, an empty string actually MATCHES any hostname?
(After all, in filter definitions, leaving the url blank means the filter will be applied to all URLs.)

Maybe I have misunderstood how this is meant to work and really all is working as intended.
If not, and it's actually a bug, the unfortunate effect is to give a false sense of security to those users who (like me) always want to be informed of certificate errors - they will never see them if they leave the field blank.
Dec. 05, 2021, 12:11 AM
I don't remember the details of the error dialog but Let’s Encrypt’s root certificate expired back in September. I think Mozilla uses Let’s Encrypt.

Try the attached "cert.pem".

HTH

(Dec. 04, 2021 08:48 PM)mizzmona Wrote:  Anybody else seeing this?

-Mona

Attached File(s)
.zip  cert210930.zip (Size: 112.52 KB / Downloads: 171)