DNS Caching
Oct. 13, 2004, 02:44 PM

Hi !

Is it possible to grab the IP address of the various sites we visit and save them in a format which Proxo can recognise. This will make Proxo a DNS caching server also.

Thanks
Garcot
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 21, 2004, 10:58 AM

I'm sure there is a way to "point" PROXO to a txt file or list that some other Program makes that resolves URLs to IP addys. However, some sites change IP addys from time to time like yahoo and You might have to update the log file when they do that in order to surf to the site once it changed it's IP.

The host file is actually faster than DNS resolving. I use "OutPost" firewall which has a "DNS Caching" feature built into it.

Later,
"JaK" [smoke]
Oct. 21, 2004, 10:13 PM

garcot,

Has this been your intent all along? Jak said it right - the HOSTS file will be much quicker than using Proxo for this purpose, or any other proggie, for that matter.

Instead of using it merely to block bad guys, you can intersperse good and bad sites within it. Bad guys go to 127.0.0.1, and good guys go to wherever address you know to be correct.

The problem now is to build a database for use as a HOSTS file. It's been done many a time in the perl world, but that's a bit of overkill, if you're not gonna use perl for anything else. Offhand, I can't think of anything else that does this automatically. Perhaps you can use a firewll such as Outpost to build the database, and then access that - if it's a text file. <_<

Perhaps your best bet is to manually determine the IP from simply using the PING command, with the desired domain name. Not very elegant, but it's quick. [unsure] If you need this process to be automated, lemme know, and I'll spend a few minutes rooting around in my archives for a batch file that does this sort of thing. I'm pretty sure I still have it, and if not, then I'll re-write a new one for you! Big Teeth

[EDIT] I just googled on "ping" and "automatic", and got nada (for this purpose - plenty of monitors, though. :o)[/EDIT]

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Oct. 22, 2004, 06:10 AM

Hi "Guyz",
We were discussing about the same subject in another forum "Here"

"Oddysey" I would be interested in seeing Your batch file that "pings" automatically. If You get a moment or so I would appreciate it if You would post it. Thankz Smile!

Take Care My Good Friends,
"JaK" [smoke]
Oct. 22, 2004, 08:36 AM

Jak;

As the Star Trek computer used to say "Working........"

Oddysey

Oct. 22, 2004, 05:39 PM

Gang;

Let me take this discussion sideways for a moment, and maybe we can do something constructive with it. <_<

In my usual morning ramblings around the 'net, I've come across a site that contains a large boat load of utilities. I'll post more on that in the Recommended Software/Hardware forum later, but for now.....

This link points to something called IPNetInfo v1.01. It purports to do everything we've discussed so far, so I should think it's worth further investigation.

This link points to a whole list of their [url=http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html#internet_utils"]proggies for networks[/url]. If you wanna see everything they've got, Desktop, Password Recovery, Shell Extensions, etc, just scroll the whole page - the Network stuff is only a small section of it. Some of their offerings are downright interesting, at least to me. :P

garcot, ProxRocks, let us know if this does what you're looking for. I'm sure that I couldn't build anything like this in something so simple as a batch file! [lol] But remember, it's not automatic, nor would any batch file be automatic, for that matter.

Oddysey

Oct. 23, 2004, 01:30 AM

Hi !

FastNet99 a freeware, does a great job of updating the HOSTS files automatically. Though further development was stopped in the June of 2003, it is a very use full tool. It has apart from DNS resolving, ping, traceroute and host of other network utilities. Fastnet works on all platforms including WinXP.

Has anyone used this before?

I am still interested in Proxo doing the DNS resolve and it ability to display IP and updating the HOSTS automatically.

I was surprised to find, Proxo speaking with the DNS Servers of my ISP when given server rights. ( It is talking with Servers at port 53)

Is it normal?

Thanks
Garcot
Oct. 23, 2004, 07:48 AM

garcot;
Quote:I was surprised to find, Proxo speaking with the DNS Servers of my ISP when given server rights. ( It is talking with Servers at port 53)
Hmmm, what program are you using to determine that Proxo is using that port? I'm under the impression that Proxo only uses and monitors Port 80 (and of course, Port 443 if your using SSL).

Worse, I've always thought that Proxo already is a server - a proxy server, to be exact. It's installed on Port 80 at address 127.0.0.1. So now I wanna know, did you somehow give Proxo additional "server rights", or something like that?

But just to be fair, let's see what the Peanut Gallery has to say. Is anybody else here monitoring their port usage, and logging the results? Is Port 53 being accessed by Proxo? Equally as important, can anyone tell us just what programs/utilities/OS subroutines are accessing Port 53?

Inquiring minds wanna know! [rolleyes]

Oddysey

Oct. 23, 2004, 01:19 PM

Quote:FastNet99 a freeware, does a great job of updating the HOSTS files automatically. Though further development was stopped in the June of 2003, it is a very use full tool. It has apart from DNS resolving, ping, traceroute and host of other network utilities. Fastnet works on all platforms including WinXP.

Has anyone used this before?
I used it for quite a while until I started to use the HOSTS file for ad and malware site blocking. It would take these malware site entries and resolve them into active site addresses. I dumped it.

I now use HOSTESS to store the HOSTS file and merge updated HOSTS files.
http://accs-net.com/hostess/

I also use eDexter to remove the "Site not found" portions of the sites.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/eDexter.html

I have not found a way to automatically update HOSTESS or the HOSTS file.

I still use the copy-n-paste method.

<b>Current Security application updates </b><a href='http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?&act=calendar' target='_blank'>Calendar of Updates</a>
Oct. 23, 2004, 02:00 PM

Hi Oddysey,

Yes, I have given proxo the special server rights through Zonealarm Pro to access my ISP's DNS servers. How come even, then proxo contact the DNS servers which are listening at Port 53 ? It would effectively mean Proxo through some special settings can Talk to the DNS servers and need not get restricted HTTP servers. What this did to me is to eliminate the DNS client service on WinXP.

To YoKenny,
I use to proxo to block all ad and malware sites. Hostess and DNSKong they slow down the browsing (at least in my case ). So I use FastNet99 just to add the all the entries in my IE Bookmarks to HOSTS file. Infact, if you add all ad and malware sites to HOSTS file, and if you are using the DNS client of WinXP, the DNS resolver cache contains only the entries from your HOSTS file, which slows down the browsing.

Thanks
Garcot
Oct. 23, 2004, 02:50 PM

"Oddysey",
Thankx for the links, . .nice programs.
You know I've noticed Proxo contacting dns server before in My Firewall logs, but I just thought it might be something that My browser was doing through Proxo since the browser is behind PRoxo. If in deed that Proxo can run/monitor other ports, that opens up some uses that I've been interested in for awhile. Smile!

I have a question though, what would be the advantage of using Proxo for a dns server? I know there is a filter (I've posted somewhere here on the forum) that will make Proxo check & compare the host file with Proxo's ad-list. Of course this is for ad & site blocking. However, if one added the IP/Url for trusted sites in the hosts file and used that Proxo filter, would there be any noticable speed increase? Or one could create a Proxo list with just trusted sites & IPs and have Proxo resolve the URL to IP, . . .hey that sounds like a dns server, . .LOL, . .I guess the question also would be which is faster, . .the natural scanning of the hosts file by the computer, or using PRoxo to scan a list and resolve the Url/Ips? And then again I guess I'm full of questions this morning, . .hahahah,. . .=:-)
Later,
"JaK" [smoke]
Oct. 23, 2004, 04:16 PM

Quote:DNS client of WinXP, the DNS resolver cache contains only the entries from your HOSTS file, which slows down the browsing.

Why the WinXP DNS Client Service is un-necessary.
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service4...DNS_Client

By the way, I have not had the DNS Client Service running on my system with no problems for ages.

<b>Current Security application updates </b><a href='http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?&act=calendar' target='_blank'>Calendar of Updates</a>
Oct. 24, 2004, 09:14 PM

YoKenny Wrote:
Quote:I now use HOSTESS to store the HOSTS file and merge updated HOSTS files.
http://accs-net.com/hostess/
Thanks for the link -- just what I was looking for -- works great.
Oct. 25, 2004, 06:45 AM

If You would like to "add" a "local Dns Proxy Server" to Your machine, here is a link to a program that just might do the trick for You. I've tested it, it works. Smile! "Click Here"

Later,
"JAK"[smoke]
Oct. 25, 2004, 01:21 PM

JakBeNymble,

I found the FastCache not efficient enough and sometime it refuses to resolve ( I mean it becomes dead ).

Here are my settings which works well for me;

1. I have already added frequently visited sites and its IP addresses to the HOSTS file. This I did through FastNet99. I have removed all the ad-HOSTS entries and allow Proxo to do the needful.
2. I have given server rights to Proxo in the Trusted zone ( which contains my ISP's DNS server IPs and zonealarm pro and using expert rules)
3. I have disabled the WinXP DNS client and in Network settings I have included Primary DNS server as 127.0.0.1.

I found, Proxo very nicely contacting my DNS servers and resolves the DNS for instant ( new sites ) sites when I need to visit lead by a google search for example. Also, since Primary DNS is localhost, all the regularly visited sites are resolved through the HOSTS itself.

I don't really need to cache the IP addresses of some one off visit sites as it doesn't make sense.

This way all is working well for me.

Thanks
Garcot