Microsoft Uses Cracked Software?
Nov. 17, 2004, 03:47 AM

Wow! You guys have to check this out.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/13/0036243

I checked my files in a hex editor and this is what I saw at the end of them.

LISTB INFOICRD
2000-04-06 IENG Deepz0ne ISFT Sound Forge 4.5

Pretty crazy stuff, tell me what you think.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 17, 2004, 04:11 AM

I can confirm this :P

Microsoft is in some deep trouble!
Visit this user's website
Nov. 17, 2004, 07:06 AM

Ho hum, excuse me while I yawn. <no bored smilie!>

Just another day at the flamer's office. Y'all'll excuse me while I go read some real news, won'cha?

Shea, not to be putting down your desire to help the rest of us stay ahead of things, but this is nothing but an attempt to fan the flame wars between the MS FanBoys and the ABM'ers (Anything But Microsoft). You can go at it for as long as you wish, on either side, but if you don't mind, I'm gonna sit this one out. Thanks for understanding.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Nov. 17, 2004, 12:25 PM

Agreed...

Use that hex editor on th ABM Browser (you know, "the dead fox") and you'll see stuff like that in there as well...
Nov. 17, 2004, 03:40 PM

http://untergrund.net/winwarez.jpg
Nov. 17, 2004, 05:18 PM

Kye-U Wrote:I can confirm this :P

Maybe "the dead fox" is in some deep troubles...

00A37DD4 696578706C6F726500 db 'iexplore',0

That line is right out of the disassembly of firefox.exe (v1.0)...

0086D9BF 68D47DA300 push SSZ00A37DD4_iexplore

And so is that line...
Big freakin' deal - it means NOTHING...
Nov. 17, 2004, 08:56 PM

Does that line mean that Firefox is pirating IE?

I see that line and the first one very differently.

Deepz0ne is the name of a cracker.

IE is the name of a program.
Nov. 17, 2004, 09:56 PM

Kye-U;

DeepzOne is the name of the author of that particular file, and he/she used SoundForge to create it. I'm not sure I remember correctly, but wasn't the file itself included with Windows' most recent release?

In any event, pirated or not, I can't see anything here more than a some-what honest mistake. Surely a rational person does NOT believe that Microsoft purposely made it a mission goal to "use pirated software in our own products wherever possible". What <span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>is</span> obvious to us rational people that this is the intent of such a flame - to make it appear that Microsoft authorized the use of SoundForge and/or a file built by SoundForge that was created/modified by DeepzOne.

This whole thing is the second-best (or second-worst, depending on your POV) display of immaturity on the 'Net. The first, of course, is writing and releasing virii and their ilk.

Oddysey

Nov. 17, 2004, 10:02 PM

ProxRocks;

Just for grins and giggles.....

Examples of this behavior are abundant throughout computing's history. MS did it with the words "IBM Compatible" in the command.com file of their generic MS DOS. This assured programmers that their program was running on an IBM or compatible system, and not on CP/M, unix, u-pascal, BASIC, or some other OS.

Fox did it to Aston-Tate right from the get-go (FoxBase -> dBase). Borland did it early on to Lotus (Quattro -> 1-2-3). The original Samna did it to everybody with their word processor. Other examples are out there, if you wanna search for 'em. That's why, like you, I treat this whole thing as "olds", not news. :P

Oddysey

Nov. 17, 2004, 10:08 PM

Point well taken Oddysey Wink

You've just witnessed a slight example of my Teenage Instincts.

After all, I am a Taurus Eyes Closed Smile

And yes, the WAV files are included in their latest release, Windows XP Professional SP2.
Nov. 17, 2004, 10:17 PM

Kye-U;

A rare example indeed. I'll bottle it up, and either sell it on eBay, or else keep it until you're about to tie the knot, and then blackmail you with it! [lol] :o [lol]

Oddysey

Nov. 17, 2004, 10:26 PM

Oddysey Wrote:I'll bottle it up, and either sell it on eBay, or else keep it until you're about to tie the knot, and then blackmail you with it! [lol] :o [lol]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Cry

Don't go scaring off my wife (wives) now! [wha]
Nov. 17, 2004, 10:46 PM

ProxRocks Wrote:
Kye-U Wrote:I can confirm this :P

Maybe "the dead fox" is in some deep troubles...

00A37DD4 696578706C6F726500 db 'iexplore',0

That line is right out of the disassembly of firefox.exe (v1.0)...

0086D9BF 68D47DA300 push SSZ00A37DD4_iexplore

And so is that line...
Big freakin' deal - it means NOTHING...

That doesn't mean anything. Firefox communicates with IE.....it has the option to import your bookmarks from IE, don't you think that "iexplorer" might show up somewhere in the lines of code? In the SoundForge code it has the name of a cracker, which means that someone would have had to be using a cracked version of SoundForge.

..::Oddysey::..

I'm not saying Microsoft did do this....I'm not against Microsoft in any way. i think it takes a lot of talent to make the widest used OS and their coders aren't bad like a lot of ABM people say. I was just posting this to see what you guys thought and how that line could've gotten in there. I don't think it was Microsofts fault, they're not going to look through every file with a hex editor to make sure its not cracked. I'm just saying that someone is going to get in big trouble for this.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Nov. 17, 2004, 11:42 PM

Shea Wrote:
ProxRocks Wrote:Big freakin' deal - it means NOTHING...

<blah, blah, blah>

That doesn't mean anything.

<blah, blah, blah>
ie, EXACTLY what I said...

It means absolutely nothing...

And I got news for you, by the very nature of "open source", there may very well be parts of Red Hat (though I *HIGHLY* doubt it) deep inside XP - Big Deal!...

Until a software programmer steps in and tells us all EXACTLY what the particular "line" DOES, then the mere mention of it in a "slurrish" manner is NOTHING put *pure* ABM #propaganda#...

Programmers program "Easter Eggs" into software ALL THE TIME...
Even as 'Odd' pointed out above, various other tidbits are often 'embedded' within the code of a software app...

Who knows, maybe Deepz0ne's wife works at Microsoft and that little line of code is her own private little "Easter Egg tribute" to her husband...

The point is, NOBODY here KNOWS what that line of code DOES...
And the "slurrish mannerisms" is nothing but futile propaganda - for MOST of us are quite a bit SMARTER than that...
Nov. 19, 2004, 05:10 PM

Shea;

First, I've had some sleep, so I think I'm thinking pretty well, not just shooting from the hip. (My typing however, is obviously suffering from lack of coordination. [angry] Wonder what drugs I need to correct that condition. [lol] )

Second, I regard your most recent post as well thought out and reasoned. You present younger people in a good light when you post your reasoning, your expression is quite good. But that just makes your first post all the more questionable. It's nearly like there are two Shea's. One that is eloquent, and the other who is brash.

Your initial post was definitely from the latter Shea. When ProxRocks and I called you out on it, you responded well, but you even admitted, a second time, that "someone is gonna get in trouble for it". That's the kicker, Shea. We don't care. We don't have to. Here's my perspective, and I'm fairly certain this goes for the others here who have taken a position close to mine.

In essence, the world will not be a better place tomorrow if some clown is exposed for his shenagegans. The sun will still rise in the east, my cat will still love me, and my computer will still crash, no matter how manner how many clowns are exposed. No amount of revulsion can make the world a better place, and that's the bottom line. Sometimes people grow up and get past that point, and sometimes they don't. You're young yet, so I don't hold it against you. After all, that emotion is a moving force in the world, and if we were all so mellow right from birth, the human race wouldn't accomplish a damn thing!!

So here's to you, the real Shea. Cheers ProxRocks is right, this is nothing but a pissing contest. The choice to join it and perpetuate it is yours. Or you can choose to further the good of the world by helping kuruden and others like him. Somehow I don't think you'll have too much trouble picking which path to trod. Wink

Carry on! Hail

Oddysey